Truck tires?

traveler44

We just blew a 3 year old Uniroyal Liberator-LT 265 75 R16 yesterday on the rear of the truck. I was wondering if there is a tire that holds up better for heavy towing with single rear wheels? I don't know if changing the size of the tire would get me a higher rated tire and if so what all is involved, like changing the rims too? The Uniroyals are rated at 3415# at 80 psi but this is the second one that has failed on the left rear since we started towing the 09 Bighorn and the manufacture date on this one is 4409. They were bought close to 3 years ago and if nothing else I will buy new ones for the rear every two years. Any ideas? Thanks! Tom

Last edited:

Garypowell

When I bought my first truck in 1996 to pull our 17,000 pound Travel Supreme I decided on single rear wheels and simply promised myself I would change tires often. A dually might offer some safety in a blowout but other than that they degrade the tow rating of the vehicle. I know I'll probably get some heat over that comment!

Ever since through three trucks I have changed tires about every two years and after the OEM stuff have always used Michelines with no problems.

lwmcguir

We have good luck with Michelin or Firestone. If you are close to the max then go with Michelin. It is going to cost you more but in the long run they don't tend to blow often. This would be for E rated tires. The next best option is to spend money and go to 19.5 tires/wheels. Usually better to upgrade when you trade trucks. We opted for the 20" Michelins due to the heavy pin weight of our Augusta. Loaded normally we can tow legally and without worrying about the rear tires. The other tire options wouldn't have had enough load capacity without going with DRW's and we didn't want to go back to that.

Kbvols

Tom,
i too have the Liberators on my TV. I am on my 2nd set I had no issues with first set but had a blow out on one tire second set. The blow out occurred prior to getting my 5th wheel so have been a little nervous since. The Liberators where sold primarily at Walmart and as I understand they no longer are going to carry them. The liberators I have where manufactured by Michelin. I have been debating since I put the RV in storage what I am going to do. My tires are fairly new so spend the money on Michelin's or roll the dice?? I am also making same decision with 5er since I just bought it in September. Roll dice with Towmax or replace. Do RV not truck? Do truck not RV? Do both? Roll dice on both? At least I have had all winter to ponder.

donr827

I have had good luck with the Michelin LTX MS2 tires. Have had them on the truck for 2 years and are holding up well. My trailer is around 13,000 pounds.
Don

Birchwood

We are in Florida and I have to do all the driving because my wife refuses to manouver a dually.
She would drive a SWR truck but thats not whats required to haul our Landmark.I will leave it at that!
Oh and yes we have 6 Firestone HT tires on our truck and they wear like iron.

hoefler

I have never had an issue in over 20 years running Cooper tires on any vehicle I have owned. With proper and regular rotation, I get very even wear on all 6 tires.

StevieWonder

Yokohama is the best tire for the money, IMO. I have them on my 2005 GMC Duramax and they provide incredible wear at a very reasonable price. Had them on my Yukon, my Tahoe and my Expedition with ZERO issues.

GREAT value ... wear, performance, durability and price.

traveler44

Thanks for all of the replies. I was hoping that somebody used a F or G rated tire on their single rear wheels that would support the weight of the fifth wheel better than the E rated tires. I know that the G614s are a LT tire but I haven't heard of anybody using them on the truck and so I was wondering why? The Es are rated at 3415# and the Gs are rated at 3750# so I thought they might provide a little more support for the weight. I know that the best thing for supporting all of this weight is to have a dually but for now the single rear wheel is what I have. Tom

danemayer

know that the G614s are a LT tire but I haven't heard of anybody using them on the truck and so I was wondering why? The Es are rated at 3415# and the Gs are rated at 3750# so I thought they might provide a little more support for the weight.

From what I've read, the weight is mainly supported by the air pressure. So if you get a G rated tire but fill it only to 80psi, you'll get the same support as an E rated tire. To get the additional support the tire is capable of, you need to put in more air - up to 110psi. BUT, your wheels may not be rated for 110psi.

I've been told that the G614 has bead-to-bead steel belts, unlike most tires, so it might have additional benefit even running at 80psi.

One other thing to consider is the speed rating. The G614 has a max speed rating of 65mph at 110psi. Not sure what would happen at higher speeds and with lower pressure. With an increase to 120psi, I think Goodyear supports up to 75mph. But again, the wheels may be the weak link.

lwmcguir

Thanks for all of the replies. I was hoping that somebody used a F or G rated tire on their single rear wheels that would support the weight of the fifth wheel better than the E rated tires. I know that the G614s are a LT tire but I haven't heard of anybody using them on the truck and so I was wondering why? The Es are rated at 3415# and the Gs are rated at 3750# so I thought they might provide a little more support for the weight. I know that the best thing for supporting all of this weight is to have a dually but for now the single rear wheel is what I have. Tom
G614 are strictly a trailer tire as are almost all HD 16's. Tread depth is less and it is designed to twist and skid not for traction. You have to go to 19.5 or 20's to get more capacity. Nothing much available in 17 or 18 inches sized either.

jnbhobe

G614 are strictly a trailer tire as are almost all HD 16's. Tread depth is less and it is designed to twist and skid not for traction. You have to go to 19.5 or 20's to get more capacity. Nothing much available in 17 or 18 inches sized either.

In 18" you can get up to 3640# @ 80 psi

traveler44

I have heard that I might get 19.5 whels that will fit the Ford so I will keep that as an option when checking around tomorrow. I sure want to thank all of you for all of the good advice, at least I have an idea as to what to ask for in a tire store now. Thanks again Tom

mobilcastle

When I bought my first truck in 1996 to pull our 17,000 pound Travel Supreme I decided on single rear wheels and simply promised myself I would change tires often. A dually might offer some safety in a blowout but other than that they degrade the tow rating of the vehicle. I know I'll probably get some heat over that comment!

Ever since through three trucks I have changed tires about every two years and after the OEM stuff have always used Michelines with no problems.
I have a dually and I say each to his own so your comment does not offend me at all. I have actually had both and I liked my SWR F250V10 when I was pulling my 10K 5ver. I will say it would pass anything but a gas station LOL.

lwmcguir

In 18" you can get up to 3640# @ 80 psi
My point was that if you are really close on weight you need to go to the 20's to get the other little bit of weight carrying capacity that you can. It would be nice to see a 12 or 14 ply tire offered that got decent wear.

traveler44

I stopped at a Firestone dealers to see what my options were and got some Bridgestone dueller ATs that have a rating of 3750 per tire at 80# psi. They are a 285 75 16 so they are a little wider than the uniroyals but they look more like a real truck tire. The dealer said that they have had very few people complain about blowouts with them if they rotate them every five thou. miles. I was worried about the ride and noise from the aggresive tread but they rode good coming back to the RV park. In the end they didn' cost any more than the Uniroyals, about $1150 for four. Thanks Tom