First service questions

cwrigg

I purchased a 3055 Bighorn about three months ago. I have about 2000 miles on it. I am getting ready to take it in for my first warranty service. I have seen some of the same issues on this site before. In my attempt to make things easier for the dealership, I would like to provide as much guidance on the solution to these issues as possible. That guidance would be from owners who have the same problems, and solved them. Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

1. The left side cargo door sags like crazy.
2. I have three, very small stress fractures in the gel coat. All located in the front of the trailer, no doubt from the stress of the tongue hookup. I have no doubt that Heartland well patch these for me. What I am wonder is there something I can do to prevent them in the future.
3. My living room slide is scrapping the black coating of the under side, near the back of the trailer. I have bare wood showing up.
4. I am gong to let the dealer figure out the satellite system. I cannot make it work with my free standing antenna, and I am usually pretty good with that stuff..
5. A a silly question. Is there suppose to be something hooked to the vent in the cargo hold.. Is it meant to be a heated storage area, or is the vent just for air circulation?
Anything else I should be on the lookout for?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I wish I could be of more help here but I have only encountered one of your issues on our trailer that being the satellite/wiring. At first we had 2 cables on the antenna amplifier crossed but the deeper I dug I found at least 5 connectors that were grounded. That being the shielding wires were touching the connector. After replacing the connectors and using a continuity tester to determine where each cable was routed, I was able to hook everything up right and now we're good to go. The vent in the cargo area is nothing more than added ventilation for the area behind the wall. It houses your converter and gives you better access to the back of the wiring panels and bathroom heat duct hose. Your dealer should be able to resolve all of these with no trouble.

DaleR

Hi cwrigg

Good luck on your warranty service.
Be real tactful with your guidance on solutions, you don't want to butt heads or step on toes. (You may know more than the job foreman, but become an actor and don't show it.)

Depending on the dealers work load, the unit could be in the shop for awhile.

Packer

fishn2dmax

Of all the issues you've posted, the one that should be of greatest concern is the "small gel-coat stress cracks". As a long time boat owner, small gel-cracks can be easily repaired, but should not be considered as normal on a trailer.

Unless you are aware of a situation in which the pin was dropped a little hard or something outside of normal hitching and pulling, I would be concerned. As you know, stress cracks can be an indicator of something moving within the base structure. A broken weld on a structural member of the frame is indicated by excess movement / stress on the walls, resulting in gel coat stress cracking. That said, gel-coat cracks can also occur due to exterior forces. For instance, if something has smacked the side of the coach, this to could cause cracking.

All the other issues you've indicated are easily rectified by a good dealer; However, the root cause of the stress cracking may be a little more complex to diagnose and resolve. :eek:

As others have stated work close with your dealer and remain civil at all times. You should indicate your expectations (as an owner) and ask them upfront if they can agree to your expectations. If your both mutually agree to a move forward plan, then be committed to work with them and Heartland through the process. I have found better results when both the dealer and I have an upfront understanding of expectation and we've maintain good civil communication.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.