Trailair Towing

We have been working with Trailair because we feel the ride with our 2001 Chevy, 3500 Crewcab, longbed is too jerky while towing our Grand Canyon. Is anyone else having such a problem?

ddj

trailair

I have a trailair on a 37 Grand Canyon and it does jerk a little but not enough to bother. I have trouble keeping it to hold air. The dealer sealed it once but over a period of time it looses air.

Jerky Ride

I have been working with Dale Fenton of TrailAir for several months now. We installed a pinbox with a new concept he is working on. The ride has improved greatly, however, Dale is not satisfied. He has another idea that I will test this spring. We also had a leak and lost air in the airbag. TrailAir sent us a new valve stem. I am not sure if the leak is fixed because I haven't pulled our rig for over a month.

BluegrassMan

Jerky ride

Hi All:

Just as an observation, it seems that most of the complaints of the annoying jerk of the trailer is with the 3500 chassis trucks. I have heard that the velvet ride shackles help this alot.

I have a 2500HD, when the trailer is hooked up the truck settled down on the HD part of the leaf springs. I felt that I had lost the ride of the truck and that my headlights would bob up and down a little. I put AIR-RIDE bags on the back with onboard pump and guages. I put in 70 lbs. of air and it transforms my Dodge into a Cadillac. I mean smooth !!! Air ride frame and air ride hitch, Mor-ryde on the trailer axles. Works for ME:)

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

I have a 2005, 3500, Duramax. I have a jerk when stopping and starting and I thought it was from my Super Slide hitch. Now I wonder, because there is not suppose to be any movement in the hitch. Keep us informed on what the trailair guy does, that is probably where my jerking is coming.

jpmorgan37

Hey Denny; What brand of Air Ride bag did you put on? Did you do it yourself or have it done? I've been thinking about doing the same and there seems to be a ton of different manufacturers and price range out there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BluegrassMan

Air Ride

Hi JP & others:

The Air Ride bags that I bought were from "Air Ride", it was all in a kit. I saw the display showing a section of a leaf spring with this kit installed. This was in the RV parts store at my local dealer. I had my dealer install it, you get ( 12v pump,lines,fittings,bags & brackets, guages ,switches)

When installed there is a black panel that holds your guages, a button to push in to activate the air pump, and 2 bleeder buttons to let the air back out. When the pump comes on it pumps BOTH bags at the same time (through a Y line setup) but you can expell the air separately RT. or LT. My panel fits nicely under the dash.

I can hardly remember exactly what the cost was ( this was 1998 ) but I think it was $400. Just look up AIR RIDE on the internet, they should show all that comes in the kit.
Be careful NOT to run the air lines close to the exhaust. when towing the pipes get REAL hot. My lines melted the first time out. They are now shielded in conduit. Well guys that's about all I can tell you. They work for me.

driver311

super slide

the super slides have an adjustment nut on the front to take the slack out of them. needs to be done when the nylon stop wears

driver311

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

To driver311
Thanks I will look at the super slide and see about the adjustment.
To JPmorgan37
I have the firestone airbags with the compressor and dual valves, this lets you adjust each side seperatly. They improve the ride while towing quite alot, even on my 3500 dually. If I recall the price was just under 500 dollars. I purchased them through ACME truck parts on-line, or you can call and order them. I have bought several items with them and had to send back the compressor. They sent me a new one with a return slip so the return shipping was on them. Very good people and reliable.

jpmorgan37

To Fireflipper and BluegrassMan; Thanks for the info. I got on the net and found a RV dealer in Belton, TX that sells and installs the Firestone Air Ride system and that's where I am for the next few months. I'll check them out and also check with Acme and look at installing them myself. Don't know about that but will see how much work they are to install. Would like to have them on before my new Grand Canyon arrives. Supposed to get it sometime in February.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

HI Jp
The hardest part was running the air lines. I managed to thread them through the frame down the drivers side and than over to the passenger side at the rear. This insures that they will stay away from the exhaust system. If yo have a Chey Duramax, there is a spare mount for a second alternator. I used a small piece of aluminum and drilled two holes to mount in that spot and than mounted the compressor on the plate. Good luck.