Heartland 5er with a tag trailer behind it.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Does Heartland offer in any of their line of trailers that you can tow a double with? Say up to 3,000lbs?

I would like to be able to tow a tag with my 300c but I don't want to give up the warranty. Building a hitch to tie into the main chassis is not a issue. But it could be a issue with me doing it myself. If this is a possible option I have a feeling the dealer must do it.

Reason I am curious is because in the future, if I can tow doubles without hurting my warranty then I may shy away from the Toy Haulers.

Not worried about length. Just curious if HL allows this on certain models.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

danemayer

You could call Lippert. I'm pretty sure they'll tell you that putting a 2" receiver hitch on the frame will void your warranty. That's what they told me when I called 18 months ago to ask about the 1-1/4" receiver hitch that they sell. Their reasoning is that they don't have any way of knowing what got hooked up to the hitch.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Thanks Bill, but doubles are legal in Texas, not worried about that aspect.

From what I have seen so far is that Lippert voids the warranty if you add a receiver hitch. I did see that receiver they sell on their website but I think that is for stuff like a bike rack or a cooler rack.

I have a feeling if I ever plan to do it I am just gonna have to bite the bullet and do it. Not worry about the warranty. I really haven't heard of any frame issues.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Matt, one thing you have to take in concideration. Its the overall length of the wheel base. Also, the whipping action of the 2nd trailer when going through a dip. Remember, your trailer axles are not at the rear like a semi trailer.

JanAndBill

Thanks Bill, but doubles are legal in Texas, not worried about that aspect.

Yep they are legal in TX but still subject to the overall length limit of 65'.
Max Trailer Length: Not Specified. Total maximum combined length of 65 ft.
Two Vehicle Max Length: 65'
Triple Tow Allowed: Yes Total maximum combined length of 65 ft.

Don't know about your rig, but my Long bed F350 and 3260EL when coupled measure almost 65' overall.

JanAndBill

Here's another link that gives a lot more information on the subject - http://ftp.txdmv.gov/pub/txdot-info/mcd/pdf/length_limits.pdf Another thing to keep in mind is that you have a Combined Gross Vehicle weight to contend with. Adding that extra trailer could put you over the limit there as well.

The bad thing about overweight, over width, or over length issues is that the officer that stops you, most likely will make you get legal before he allows you to continue. Even if that means leaving your extra trailer where he stops you and coming back. The only exception to this is that the officer in "his" discretion may decide it is safer to "follow" you to the next available safe spot.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We had our dealership add a 2" hitch onto our other Big Country to pull our golf cart. He re-enforced that the warranty would be voided by Lippert but we were real close to the end of the warranty period anyway. On went the hitch and we pulled the cart for a couple of years. We have since traded the BC 3250 and sold the golf cart. It pulled on the interstate without any problems.
DSCN0303.jpg

Gaffer

Another thing to consider is insurance shoud something happen. The insurance companies will find a reason not to pay out every chance they get. I saw a rig here last month that had a PU pulling a fiver, pulling a flatbed car trailer (with car). I think that is scary.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I will be over the 65' mark. Probably closer to 70' with my current trailer. I don't have a need to do it now but thinking for the future.

That Idaho Tote is a pretty sweet idea. Though I need about 6 1/2' x 9 1/2 deck to haul my RZR.

ShepVA

The bighorn that I just bought came from Indiana and it has a Reece? 2 inch hitch reciever on it. The guy I bought it from stated that he pulled a small trailer with two motorcycles behind the 38 foot camper. I would have loved to have seen that, I cannot imagine that motorcycle trailer swinging around when he made a sharp turn with all that tail wag. Glad it was him and not me. Upside for me is I now have a nice strong hitch to put a bicycle rack on :)

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Matt, Jim may be right.........but how are 48' semi trailers with a 250" tractor not over 65 -70' long. He is correct on the "bridge law". But that only pertains to the weight limit (GVWR) on a semi. Its from the front axle to rear axle of the tractor. I got a ticket for that because the tractor wheel base was too short to gross 80K. The trailer was fine at 42'.

JanAndBill

Matt, Jim may be right.........but how are 48' semi trailers with a 250" tractor not over 65 -70' long. He is correct on the "bridge law". But that only pertains to the weight limit (GVWR) on a semi. Its from the front axle to rear axle of the tractor. I got a ticket for that because the tractor wheel base was too short to gross 80K. The trailer was fine at 42'.

Bob in over 28 years of owning a trucking company, explaining the bridge law and king pin law to my drivers was always difficult. In short under the bridge law, Two or more consecutive axles may not exceed the weight computed by the bridge formula, even if the gross weight of the truck (or the weight on one axle) is below otherwise legal limits. In the days when we ran 42,45, then 48' trailers you could actually slide the axle forward enough to make this relevant. When 53' trailers came out the law basically became irrellevant because you couldn't slide the rear tandem far enough forward to be a problem with an 80,000 GVW. The king pin law is the distance from the king pin to the rear of the rear axle, and can vary by state. This became a problem for us on 53' trailers when it was necessary to slide the tandem back to equal out weight on the axles, so then we were over on the king pin law. Kind of a Catch 22. Now as to overall length on commercial vehicles Federal law takes precedent so states don't have a length limit on the tractor (see previous link to TXDMV) nor do they have "overall" length limits, as long as you are on the interstate or within reasonable access to or from or state highways designated as part of the National Network. A state can restrict you if you're not. Ga used to be bad about writing tickets to drivers who got off the NN. They do limit trailer lengths be it a single or double which are supposed to conicide with federal regulations. Overlength and overwidth loads require special permitting. Trucks capable of carring cargo (IE box type trucks) that are towing a trailer and personal use vehicles RVs, boats, etc. are limited regardless of if they are on the National Network or not. It can vary some but in TX it's 65'. There are some other commercial specialty type trucks that have different regulations as well.

Sumo

Reason I am curious is because in the future, if I can tow doubles without hurting my warranty then I may shy away from the Toy Haulers.

I'm looking at an Idaho Tote for the same reason, would like to bring some toys. But I really don't want a toy hauler.