Just got smart phones

traveler44

We got Iphones, and YES it was pretty dark that far back in the cave, so I was wondering which apps you find the most useful? I have downloaded Camp and Rv already. Also is there one that shows the real time weather radar that follows our location and maybe alerts to bad weather? Tom

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Tom, for weather I use Weather Bug.
I also have The Weather Channel.

Peace
Dave

mmomega

AnyTimer
For Weather I use the built in app for quickly checking the just the current temp. If I want more in depth I use "Weather Underground".

I also use "Yelp" for finding nearby restaurants with reviews, coffee shops, drugstores, etc.

"Gas Buddy" to help find the cheapest fuel nearby.

"Flashlight" to turn on the rear LED so you can use it as a bright little handy flashlight.

"Allstays Camp & RV" this can show all known campspots (even walmarts that all parking overnight) propane fill-ups, fuel stations, rv dealers, low clearance bridges, etc.

"Dual Level" turns your phone into a quick "bubble" level

"Recreation.gov" you can make reservations through this app and find out info on campsites, same/similar as the recreation.gov website

"SoundHound" or "Shazam" this will listen to a song playing on the radio and tell you the name of the Artist singing, Album, etc. in case your hear something and you forgot who sang it.

"Urbanspoon" , if you are in a city and don't know what you want to eat it has a handy shake the phone feature that will choose a random Restaurant and/or type of food when you shake the phone.

and many, many more

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I really like the iphone app, iMap Weather Radio. You can pick up to 5 locations, and pick the weather alerts you want to receive. You can also let it use your current location, so when traveling, you get the alerts that mean something according to where you are. It sounds an alert sound and a voice says the alert, so you know immediately what is happening. There is also a real-time radar view, that also displays the watches and warnings. This was very helpful when we experienced bad weather in Hill City, SD just before the Gillette Rally... None of the news stations on tv were warning our area, but my phone warned us! We had a heavy thunderstorm and small hail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

You'll want to look at some of the Allstays apps for campgrounds and other information.
If you're on the road a lot and your mail follows you, you'll want to look at online banking apps. If for no other reason, many now have electronic check deposit where you take a picture of the check you're depositing but you don't have to actually mail in the check.

Other interesting apps: Evernote and Dropbox let you store notes and files locally on your phone so you can access them while traveling - even if you have no internet connection. Synchronization to the desktop edition is automatic, so you can populate the apps from your desktop and everything appears on your phone.

Tapatalk is a forum app that makes it easy to use this and other forums on your phone.

If you have a satellite dish that is manually aimed, you'll want a dish alignment app - preferably one that is integrated with your camera so you can see whether you have a clear shot at the satellite.

If you have a GM tow vehicle with OnStar, you probably want RemoteLink.

There are plenty more. Look in the app store for the most popular free apps.

Phatkd

Allstays - Both the ONP Walmart and the Camp & Rv app

Flashlight - Turns your camera flash into an adjustable brightness flashlight

Shazam is always handy when you hear a catchy song and you want to know the song name and artist

Skype Wifi - For video chats with those that don't have facetime

RV check - To customize some pre made RV checklists

TuneIn Radio - to listen to almost anything you want and share it with bluetooth enabled vehicles or headsets

Gas Buddy - is a must have for those who want to pay the least for fuel nearby

YouTube, Ebay and the Bradley smoker apps are great as well

Earthquakes - For keeping track of and getting detailed information on earthquakes reported by the USGS

And if you are into killing Zombie,.."Zombie Gunship" is a really really fun game

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I think if the screen gets any smaller on the weather channel you won't be able to see it.

I didn't like the recent Weather Channel update. I removed it and put in Accuweather. It also recently updated and I'm not real excited about the new version of that one either.
If you are a Direct TV customer, you can get their App so you can program your DVR from the phone. Cool if you forget to set something up and are away from home.
I have a converter App that converts anything to anything. Like Gallons to ounces etc.
ICE
Google Sky is cool
Satellite AR to help locate DTV satellites through the trees.
Zedge is good for free ring tones
Zillow is good if your house shopping or just curious about homes for sale in your area.

happyappy

Here are a few less familiar apps you may want to check out:

For weather, I'm a fan of the Accuweather app. Seems to be the most accurate of any I've used.

For music check out Songza. It's similar to pandora, but has much less obtrusive ads. The songlists are actually put together by humans so they are usually very good. Amazing variety of music on this app. Make sure you check out the explore tab to see all the variety available.

I like tripadvisor for recommendations on restaurants and things to do.

Torque allows you to dig into your TV's ECM and monitor performance real-time. You can also check and clear "check engine light" codes. It does require you to purchase a bluetooth adapter for your vehicle...available on amazon or ebay for less than $25.

Are You Watching This?! A must if you are a sports fan...it alerts you to "hot" games (upsets, close games, etc.) in sports you are interested in and allows you to keep up with the score. If you have direct tv, you can even use the app as a remote to switch channels to the hot game.

Bible by YouVersion The best Bible for your smart phone hands-down.

Flipboard: Great app for keeping up with news, websites, or feeds that you enjoy. It comes preloaded with popular favorites, but you can customize the content.

TV Food Maps You'll love this if you are a fan of the Food Network. It has all of the restaurants featured on food shows such as Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. As you travel you can search for spots near you. It has links to the episode featuring the restaurant as well as the ability to navigate to it.

Have fun...once you've had a smartphone....there's no turning back!

Last edited:

dalspot

iPhone? RV Companion. The leveler in it is great. Really spot on to tell you how much to lift the sides.. IF you're among the poor folks like us who don't have automatic leveling.

Karen

traveler44

iPhone? RV Companion. The leveler in it is great. Really spot on to tell you how much to lift the sides.. IF you're among the poor folks like us who don't have automatic leveling.

Karen

Yep! Your my kind of people but I carry a small plastic level that I use when leveling up. I have to sign out now so I don't use up all of our gigs. Tom

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I figured this would be the first one mentioned on this website since so many of us use it. Tapatalk is a forum tool that allows access to Heartland Owners Club Website in a very easy to use simple layout. The only way to go if you are trying to access the HOC via your smartphone or tablet.

Rod Ditrich

Dtaylor52

Mobile RVing
Restaurant Finder
RV Dumps
Sunrise & Sunset
Google earth
Google Drive (If you load this on your computer and your phone you can simply drag documents into (from your computer) and they appear on your phone. This is really good when traveling and checking in at a campgrounds. You have any document they send you without having to keep up with a bunch of paper)

traveler44

I have Camp and RV, Imap weather radio with the alerts for five different locations plus mine, flashlight and one that tells me how to fish for bass. The gas buddy has already saved me money on fuel and I will get the tapatalk. I get internet on the phone and on the pc while on the road and we will use our unlimited internet when we are at home because it is cheaper. Thanks Tom

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I like Mobilerving.com for finding RV Parks. It is a free app. I use WeatherBug for the weather and it has proven to be easy to use and accurate. I also like Tango for calling relatives because it is a video phone call where you can see them and they can see you. All of these are free aps. Flashlight is great for a handy light in the dark and soundmeter is fun to check how loud sounds are around you. Zip buddy lets you find zip codes and CNN lets you keep up with the news. Another free ap is Translator which lets you translate from one language to another easily. I have an Epson printer and Epson has an ap for you I phone which will let you print to your wireless printer from your Iphone. Police Radio lets you listen to police radios nationwide. And don't forget games like Balloons, Hearts, Spades Checkers, Chess etc. Most of these games have free versions. Geocaching is a free app if you are into that. And you got to have QR reader to be able to read those QR Codes you see everywhere and MS Tag reader to be able to read those. Another neat game is Field Goal where you kick field goals for the highest score. Those are a few of the ones I have. Just go to the App store and search for free apps and then pick some that you want. And have fun with your smart phone.

traveler44

Thanks Jim, I am always trying to figure out what the zip codes are, so that is a good one. Tapatalk is kind of hard to start with but I will probably get it set up where it is easier to use. Right now I like the pc for getting on the forum. Tom

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
All Around Me is a good one for finding things in your area. It uses your location from your built in GPS to figure out where you are and lets you search for specific things or just list what is around the area. It's free too.Kristy

Theresau

Once you get hooked on your smart phone, you'll want to get a tablet. I have a droid tablet. Great how they interact via google. Apps purchased on either device are available on the other. The 7" is nice - fits in purse - also good as an e-reader. Great GPS!

I don't think it was mentioned here but you can install the nook and kindle apps on your phone and use as an e-reader.

Theresa