Why no Propane Guages?

929Coug

I just purchased a new 2012 3300 CK and to my surprise there are no guages on the propane bottles. Is this normal? When I picked up the rig last week the service man told me that he wasn't even sure how much propane was in the bottles because he wasn't sure how long the girls had the heat on when they were cleaning the trailer. I thought they were supposed to come with full bottles.

Also, are we supposed to get a check list of things that were done on the PDI? I received nothing.

Thanks,

Vince

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Vince. Propane bottles do not come with gauges. Do you know if you have an automatic changeover regulator? I would expect that your dealer would have pointed out the operation of that during your PDI.
It is up to the dealer to fill the propane tanks. They are shipped empty.
Are you supposed to get a check list? You may have signed off on one when you signed for the trailer. It is up to the dealer if he wants to provide that to you.

Peace
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Vince, Ditto what Cookie said. Most dealers, as far as I know, include full LP tanks with the purchase of the trailer. Based on the comment from your service man, I would expect that did not happen. You could remove the tanks and weigh them on your bathroom scale. A full 30lb. tank weighs right around 58 lbs.

lwmcguir

The gauges really don't do much until the tank is nearly empty. Pressure changes due to temperature will read differently. Feeling the tank for the temperature change between the liquid and vapor works as well as the adhesive type that you stick on the side of the tank.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Vince, were you not present during the PDI? Hopefully you did not take someones word for the fact "they" did a PDI and you walked in, signed the papers and just drove away. BTW, were you charged for the PDI???? Cause thats a NO-NO.

davidg

Hi Vince, one way to check and see what the level of propane in the tank is, put water in a pot and heat it to a boil on the stove, then pour the water down the side of the propane bottle when this is done (carefully now top will be hot) slide your hand down the side of the bottle when you will feel the change in temperature from hot to cold/cool this will be the level of propane in the bottle.
David