Question about furnace flue

IrishReb

Started up the furnace for the first time in our one week old Sundance. I noticed that when the furnace is running there is quite a bit of hot air flowing out of the exterior flue vent. Is this normal? It just seem like a lot of hot air blowing our that perhaps should be heating the inside cabin. We are getting heat inside our RV but it just seems like a lot of excess heat exiting and was wondering if this is normal......John

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Re: Questioin about furnace flue

John, it's normal. Our RV furnace is not as efficient as home furnaces so that hot air from the heat exchanger has to go somewhere. At home, the hot air goes up the chimney or out the PVC pipe for the more efficient units.

GOTTOYS

This is normal. These furnaces are not a very efficient design. Nothing you can do about it. I can't think of a single RV that uses anything different...Don

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

If you have hookups....get some ceramic heaters to use and save the propane. If you are dry camping....using the heater one night will kill the battery. Just a word to the wise as my mother used to say.

traveler44

That always amazes me that that much heat can go out the exhaust on the side of the Bighorn. If anybody figures out a way to harness it without gasing themselves to death or ruining the furnace let me know. Tom

jimtoo

That always amazes me that that much heat can go out the exhaust on the side of the Bighorn. If anybody figures out a way to harness it without gasing themselves to death or ruining the furnace let me know. Tom

If they ever figure out a way to harness all the wasted heat and energy it would be nice. But we been wasting it for centuries... and still continue.... did you ever put you hand over a fireplace chimney on the roof with a good fire going? Same thing happening... a lot of heat being wasted. But it keeps the fumes,,, smoke,,, out of the house.

Jim M