Looking for info on Good Sam Insurance

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
We received a mailing the other day from Good Sam solliciating our insurance business for our 5er and possibly all our autos. Before I start the calling we presently have State Farm Insurance for all our needs, 3 cars, 5er, house and property. So I am asking for input from people who have Good Sam insurance and have used or made claims with Good Sam. What are your opioions and are the savings worth the change over. We are not full timers but do numerous outtings each season and leave our unit on our property in PA. We live just over the NY/PA border and our main residence is in NY.

MTPockets

I would suggest you shop annually regardless of who you have. We had State Farm several years ago until they priced themselves too high. We then had Allstate, Nationwide, and most recently Good Sam for a year and a half - they use GMAC Insurance. They raised premiums every 6 months, so now we have Hartford at a good rate. Can't understand why these insurers keep raising rates on their good customers - we've never had a claim, have great credit, and always find a reputable company at a good rate... Just shop - there's always someone out there with a deal.

DuaneG

I had ca casualty insurance, but started looking around when I found out their rv insurance was poor. I checked most large insurance companies for online quotes along with Good Sam. And all were higher than I was already paying. I called Good Sam insurance and found out the online quote did not include the Good Sam member discount. With the discount applied it was at least $400 cheaper than the lowest other quote.

Even though Good Sam uses GMAC insurance and they claim to have the best insurance for RVs that is not exactly true. They won't cover if RV is stored 100 miles away from residence. We also needed vacation liability insurance for our fifth wheel and GMAC did not offer it. The Good Sam rep had access to other insurance companies and was able to get us the rv vacation liability insurance that the rv park wanted for us to have extended stays with. It was through Allied insurance which I guess Nationwide owns.

If they do raise my rate I will leave and go elsewhere.

Sent from my cell phone. Please forgive typos and spelling errors.

dave10a

Good Sam insurance is probably ok, but I get sense that all they are interested is your money. Every time I buy something a Camping World the checker tries to sell me the insurance and to renew my membership every time I try to check out. It gets to a point of being annoying. In fact, I now buy most items from internet sources rather than pay the high prices at Camping World. If your are happy with you present insurance, keep it. I personally find other insurance companies are cheaper and respond quickly to any claims. Also, I self insure for extended service because it makes more sense for me. The insurance companies are in business to make money, I just as well keep my money in a prudent manner.

DuaneG

I agree with Dave and only switched because I was actually able to get a better deal with Good Sam (this time) and needed vacation insurance.

I do get annoyed with pushy sales people and a lot of spam mail and email solicitations. That has to stop.

Sent from my cell phone. Please forgive typos and spelling errors.

Sumo

I would suggest you shop annually regardless of who you have.

I agree. I review at my Auto, Home and Health insurance every 12 to 18 month. And look at what similar coverage would cost with other carriers. I find that I need to change insurance carriers every two or three years to keep my premiums under control. Just my experience, yours maybe different.

FYI, I'm an Insurance agent.

JeffG1947

Our renewal with Progressive is now due and they're asking $975 (up about $80 from the first year). GoodSam/GMAC quoted $1,300 for the same coverage. My State Farm agent is putting together a quote which should come in about $400. I'm expecting that State Farm will not provide full replacement coverage but do expect other coverage (perhaps in combination with our homeowners and umbrella liability policy) will be the same.

The question I have to answer for myself (and the DW) is whether I think I'm going to total the 5er, or have a fire, or suffer a collision which will result in a total loss and I want the insurer to provide me with a new trailer at no cost. The thing is I have a $50+K truck insured by State Farm that doesn't provide full replacement cost only depreciated value and I'm 'happy' with that - but then for almost 50 years that's the type of auto collision insurance that I've had. I drive the truck almost daily but so far (until retirement) only use the trailer 4 weeks a year.

I have the same issue with an extended warranty - if you believe in them at all - where maybe they make sense for appliances in your home that get a lot of use but in a trailer with limited use why pay GoodSam $800 for three years coverage or other insurers as much as $2,000. Since these extended service agreements don't coverage structural items it's mostly to cover the appliances. We owned a popup for 15 years and travel trailer for 3 years and never had anything break. Sorry I digressed into the warranty issue, but with our one year warranty expiring next month I'm grappling with both issues.