generator travel/storage

aatauses

Hi everyone,
We have a BH 3670 and considering getting a small generator (2000). We usually go to sites with power, and the few times we do not this size will run what we need for a few days. Here are my questions to those who have a small generator:
Where do you store it? If in the front RV campartment(under overhang), any concern about gas fumes? Anyone storing in the basement? Also, they weigh about 50-60 # so did you beef up anywhere because of the weight? Do you keep gas in the unit or drain after each use? Spill issues? For those that store in P/U, do you put it in your box or did you make some other type of storage? Any cable to derter others from liking it too much?
Thanks
al
currently in Kenai, AK

sjs731

I have two Yamaha 2000s and I keep them in the box of my truck locked to the hitch with a cable when not in use. It is basically a deterrent. I also keep the tonneau cover closed when the rig is not hooked up so they are out of sight. I don't usually drain the gas till the end of the season but I also buy no ethanol 87 octane for them.

Steve and Carrie
HOC #2252
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marvmarcy

We have two Honda 2000 and store one in fiver front compartment and other inside one of the four truck boxes. Both would go in fiver, but the front compartment (originally configured for optional genset) holds a large battery bank for a large inverter, so there isn't enough room for two gennys. Both Hondas usually sit under the front of the fiver or out behind, depending on where we're dry camped. They are cabled together and to the fiver or truck. We have two Hondas to handle the load of battery charging, microwave, central vac, etc. When not in use for an extended period, they are run dry and the carb drained. For short term storage, I add fuel stabilizer and close the tank vents. Since we don't have a factory genset, I installed a 30A cord to the factory genset prewired box so we have two shore power inputs, 30A front and 50A back. No reinforcement of compartments was needed. I've never smelled gasoline from the stored generators.

Last edited:

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We carry a Honda 2000 in the front compartment. Always full of gas and never had a spill! We didn't see a need to beef up the compartment and there was never any fumes. It traveled about 9,000 miles in the compartment last year without incident or concern.

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
We also have one Honda 2000i. Rides in the box of my truck (locked to the rail), then sits outside locked to the front landing gear. Try to run it once a month for about 5-10 minutes. Also, put Sta-bil in the tank when we sit for the winter.
It's designed for the short overnighters when the air won't be needed. It will run the coffee in the morning, TV at night and the 12v lights inside without taxing the battery. When we need the air to sleep, we'll find a place to stay and plug in. Will take a lot of overnight stops in the heat to justify the extra $1000 for a second Honda. Haven't come close, yet.

wdk450

I have the Boily 3000 generator which I keep (under its cover) between the 5th wheel hitch and the truckbed toolbox. I bought a very strong chain and special lock system for locking up motorcycles, something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10mm-heavy-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item27cbce1971&vxp=mtr

The generator has large lifting bars across the top, and I use one of those to chain it to the 5th wheel hitch. I use a regular bike lock cable to tie down 2 jerry cans I carry to the other end of the hitch. I like having the generator in the truck so that I have it if there is ever an emergency at home involving power loss. I have a 30 amp extension power cable to connect the trailer to the truck and carry a 100 foot 15 amp cord in the truck toolbox.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I keep my Boliy in the front center of the truck bed. It's covers with a home made cover but I'v never locked it. I keep a few other things on either side and have eerything secured with a ratchet strap. Our truck had a bed cover so it's pretty much out of sight when covered.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'll haul my Honda in the truck bed. I have a cover for it when my bed cover is rolled up, so it'll be protected from the weather. I can use the heavy cable lock I bought to secure it to one of the tie downs in the front of the bed to keep "curious" folks honest at rest areas.