Ideas for the 3260EL

JanAndBill

Just got back from our second run in our 2013 - 3260EL. Have to say that for the most part we love this unit. Apparently we aren't the only ones as we've received numerous compliments on the rig as well. Couple of things though that might improve the model. As is, in order to enter the bathroom you have to back off the landing and stand on the first step. A pocket door might allieviate this. Another thing is the lack of pantry storage. Other than that I don't know if you could improve on this model.

bwc1950

I would second the idea that the bathroom door needs modification. Looking at the walls and what's behind them, a pocket door may not work. However, given there is enough floor space, swinging the door inward might be another possibility.

sengli

I third that suggestion. We have removed the bathroom, and the bedroom doors completely from our unit. I slipped, and fell on the carpeted steps coming out of the bathroom last year first trip out with our new 3260, and broke my wrist. We have since installed a curtain on a rod system for the bathroom instead of the door.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I also shy away from ANY models with the bathroom door that forces you down the steps to get in or out. Maybe a bi-fold door is a solution? Heartland?? ;)

K

karykatz

travetiger,

That is a good idea. We will look into the biflod option. Pocket isnt an option we have tried to look at this but will not work.

Keep the ideas coming. We do listen!!!

thank you everyone.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I think I may be flipping one of those door issues this weekend at Hilton Head. I'm hoping to remove the hardware, reverse the door, put the striker plate on the other side and voila' done deal!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Looking at the floorplan on HL's website, how does the door movement force you onto the steps? It looks to me that you have to enter/exit from the landing near the bedroom door. Or is it mounted reverse from the drawing?

I know this is a bit late, but we picked up our second new 3260 (Long Story) about a week ago. As far as the bathroom door - we hand them reverse it so you do not have to step off the landing - it now opens per HL's website floor plan. We had the dealer put in a four step entry in lieu of the three step and some other options. We have spent two nights in the new rig and so far so good, other than an roller under the kitchen slide came off - dealer fixed. The rig came with a 1 1/4" hitch and we are having it replaced with a two inch hitch with a stronger design, but still will bolt on to factory mounting brackets. My wife uses an electric scooter to get around the campsite and while we are traveling, the scooter sits on top of a platform that slides into the 2" receiver to the rear of the rig. Mike

jbeletti

...The rig came with a 1 1/4" hitch and we are having it replaced with a two inch hitch with a stronger design, but still will bolt on to factory mounting brackets. My wife uses an electric scooter to get around the campsite and while we are traveling, the scooter sits on top of a platform that slides into the 2" receiver to the rear of the rig. Mike

Mike,

Be careful with how much weight you put on the platform while using the OEM hitch brackets. I suggest that you pull the scooter batteries while towing it on the platform.

bwc1950

I would not be a fan of the bifold option, but rather a fan of reversing the hinge location so that the bathroom door opens as depicted in the floorplan. Had a chance to meet and talk with Kary in Sacramento last month. A very positive experience for both me and my wife.

Eddhuy

My wife and I experienced the opening door from the steps at an RV show and made it a point not to get one that worked that way. Our first choice is the separate door from the bedroom but you have to sacrifice bathroom space/shower size and storage to get that. Another option on deciding which model to get was the refrigerator size. The 4 door is nice but pantry space was more important to us so we opted for the 2 door refrigerator to achieve that.

Theresau

This was a great concern for us to when examining and choosing models. Our 2010 Bighorn 3410RE had 2 pocket doors - main and from the bedroom. We were both very suprised that the main bath doors were no longer pocket doors; however, as time went on we assumed that the reason they are not being used now for the main door is the amount of space required and most models now appear to have larger baths and need every inch of space....

We actually preferred the door that opened by stepping down because we found that the reverse hit the bedroom door. We'll just leave the door open unless someone is in it - if we did it with the reverse it would block the bedroom door. (It will be easier to open from the bedroom as well...) (I was concerned that the factory may install the reverse from the design but we saw the unit yesterday right after it was built and they didn't.)

Also, we really liked being able to close the bedroom door and main bath door in our Bighorn because it then worked as a large dressing area. For our new unit Joe is going to make some form of connecting device to the hall window so that the main bath door can be left open when someone is bathing allowing the bedroom to be entered privately again making a dressing area. (Not having an opening to the bedroom from the bath was a concession we made with the new unit.)

Theresa