Phone and Internet on the road - need recommendations

jayandhisgals

We are preparing to go full time. We need phone and internet service. I must be able to use my lap top when ever and where ever we are. I just can't stand the thought of having to use one of those tiny phones to do everything I do on the web. I know nothing about all this 3g and 4g stuff I don't even understand what they are talking about when they say up so many such and such shared what evers. I just want to be able to have reliable, fast and unlimited phone service and internet service like I do in our stick home.
Who do you use?
What do I need to look / ask for?
Any info is apperciated. :)

danemayer

Re: Recomendations Wanted

Hi Jay et al,

Reliable, fast, unlimited.
So...

• You want 4G. 4G = fast just like a great home connection (or at least as close as you'll get).
  • 4G is not everywhere. Where it's not, the equipment should fall back to 3G which is usually like a cheap home connection.
  • When you select a vendor, you need to understand their coverage map. The tricky part is that while they may claim nationwide coverage, sometimes there are big areas with no coverage. Sometimes, they get coverage in certain areas by way of roaming agreements that don't provide the same quality/speed.
  • There are reasonably priced "unlimited" data plans available, but they may throttle the speed for all data usage, or may throttle it after you reach a certain level of data usage. So it might be high-speed for the first 2GB/month, but low speed after that.
  • You want a MiFi device like a Verizon Jetpack that connects to the internet. It also creates a local WiFi network inside your trailer. That lets you connect multiple devices, like other computers, and tablets.
  • You want a Wilson Amplifier that will help you get a reliable, fast connection when you're not close to the cell tower.

My opinion is that Verizon's network is faster and more reliable in more places than AT&T. I know this is hotly disputed in advertisements and by many users. However, I came to this conclusion when I had both AT&T and Verizon devices and could compare in all the places I visited. Verizon was almost always WAY better.

With the Verizon shared data plan, you select the monthly data usage. I think each additional 2GB is an additional $10/month.

I think AT&T has plans comparable to Verizon. But in addition to my earlier note, I think they rely more than Verizon on roaming agreements where performance is not as good as in the areas controlled by AT&T. So they show coverage on their maps, but when you get there, you find out it's not so good.

Sprint has the unlimited data plan, but check the details. I'm pretty sure the speed is throttled and I've not been impressed with the coverage of the Sprint network back when I used it.

VirginMobileUSA uses the Sprint network and I think still has an unlimited data plan at about 1/2 of the Sprint price. BUT, the speed is throttled even lower and there are large parts of the country where Sprint has roaming agreements that are not supported by VirginMobileUSA.

If you want to get more specific about equipment and choices, you might look at the 3Gstore and give them a call to talk through the various solutions. And I think they have another network choice that is low cost and uses either the Verizon or AT&T network. Again, check the details on speed, coverage, roaming.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

You will receive a lot of good information on this forum. As well as that I would contact The 3GStore and get information from them also. They help provide Internet and phone access for RVers.

I would not purchase an aircard or anything for the internet from a cellphone store. Most of them are mainly intrested in cell phones and not all have people experienced in internet access. 3GStore does.

I have a Cradlepoint router that I use a 3G Sprint air card and I also have a 3G Verison Aircard. I have an AT&T iPhone. When my AT&T contract expires I will probably go to Verizon. AT&T is weak in many places as we travel. I am now in Rockport and my AT&T signal is only 1 bar and I have to move around to get a good enough signal.

FWIW
BC

MTPockets

We use the Verizon jetPak with no problems... Coverage is the same as cell phone coverage and Verizon covers more than any others nationwide, which is our interest. Their standard plan is 5GB per month for $50... This has always been plenty for our needs, which is going on-line several times every day... If you download a lot of pictures, 5GB may not be enough, but if you need more, you'll have to get the rates from Verizon.

guyc66

Recomendations Wanted

Since I don't download movies, music, etc. I find that Verizon's 3G network works just fine. One day I will probably move over to 4G but really haven't found a need to yet. My iPhone works great as a wifi device to connect my laptop to the internet.....the range is limited (about 10' I think) but I normally have my phone on me at all times anyway so it's never an issue. Verizon's coverage area has been great too. If I were going to be using a lot of devices I would get a regular wifi system but I like to keep things simple. Shop around for what best fits your usage needs and have fun out there!

jbeletti

...With the Verizon shared data plan, you select the monthly data usage. I think each additional 2GB is an additional $10/month...

I can confirm that currently, Verizon charges $15/1gb in overage fees and when upping your plan, each 2 gb is $10.

Just this week I had to bump my data up from 16 gb to 18 gb and then tonight from 18 gb to 20 gb. Each bump was $10. After my billing cycle ends (2 more days), I will change my plan back to 16 gb. Pretty easy to manage online.

MCTalley

AT&T's shared data plan goes up in increments of 2GB until you get to 10, then by 5's. We're on a 15 and push that each month. Jumping from 15 to 20 is $40 per month. Each 1 GB over is $15, as well.

I won't debate AT&T vs. Verizon, but will say that we've not been disappointed in reception on our AT&T hotspot device anywhere we've traveled yet. It often picks up 4G signals better than our iPhones do in the same location.

Per Sprint, I know of a full-time family that uses Sprint unlimited and it has good data speed, not restricted just because it is unlimited. They mentioned using it to stream Netflix.

The 3gstore idea is a good one. Might shop around there and see what you come up with. Seems they support RV'ers well.

Speedy

For internet on the road we found Millenicon to be a great deal for 20 gb at $69.00 and that is Verizon 4G service. We have had for 5 months and not a problem.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired

We use the Verizon Mifi for internet service and haven't had any problems at all. Right now we have the basic 4G plan and haven't had to go over the plan so can't say how much extra if I go over. We both have Verizon smartphones (4G) and have also moved the land line also over to Verizon.

doxiecouple

We have been using the Sprint Card for over 4 years now with very good success. We use it for work as well as travel. Our work takes us into some very remote areas is rural Alabama and I estimate we get good coverage 95% + of the time even there. Got it at Best Buy after being totally dissatisfied with the Verizon MIFI. For us, Sprint outperforms Verizon for this, even though we find our Verizon cell service to be superb.

Eddhuy

Verizon 4G does not get throttled and I have had it long enough to still have unlimited data. I can also setup a free wifi connection on my Motorola M handset without cheating. I usually provide a free hotspot for my brothers and sisters when we go to Bodega Bay, they have ATT. I used to be a cell tech for ATT back in the mid 90s. Verizon has the market on wireless data speed with their 4G, they have far more LTE bandwidth than anyone else. I have tested speeds up to 50mbs in Sacramento and routinely get 20 to 30 mbs, this is faster than most people get in their homes.

aatauses

I am not sure what you mean when you say you need internet service on the road. If you are talking literally while traveling, you have recieved some great advice. If you mean once you park in an rv park--almost all will have wifi service which is free or you can go to a nearby coffee shop and get on line. We carry a small booster that we can use in parks that have a weak connection and find we have no issues in parks. When we are in National Parks or where there is no service we can then "teather" our ATT phone to the computer and get what we need. I might add we use our computer for data and email, no movies or long photos transfers.
al
currently in Kenai

jayandhisgals

Ok so I started to do a little research. Do you all use your cell phones as a hot spot or have smartcard / router?

danemayer

We use the Verizon 4510 MiFi when in the RV. I got it before I had the plan that supports tethering the phone. I could tether one of our Android phones but then I can't take my phone with me if I go for a walk. I do use phone tethering to connect my iPad to the net sometimes when not at home or in the RV.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
As a freelance graphic designer, I am interested in this thread and already have a solution, but always looking for better. We both have AT&T unlimited data on our phones, so we didn't want to give up those by changing plans. We RV for weekend about 3-4 times a year, and then longer trips, about 3 times a year. I needed reliable Internet for my work and don't want to worry about data security or slow speed using rv park wifi. I didn't want to be tied to an extensive long term contract, so I purchased an AT&T USB modem outright, about $80, and use a prepaid data plan. When we are planning to go, I use my home Internet connection to purchase a data plan $30-$50) that fits the potential trip length and my expected use. So far it has worked well.

But, for the future I have considered Verizon and a hotspot that we both could share with computers, smartphones and iPads. Verizon has the best coverage. Millinicom seems like it has potential for a low-cost monthly plan and they use top carriers for service, but there is a lot of cost up front for the hotspot, activation, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedy

Millinicom seems like it has potential for a low-cost monthly plan and they use top carriers for service, but there is a lot of cost up front for the hotspot, activation, etc.

Actually Millenicom was quite less in upfront costs when compared to ATT or Verizon. Both of them wanted $249 for the hotspot device and $50 a month for service (5GB). Millenicom charged us $99 for the same device and $69 a month for service (20 GB). We have yet to hit the 20 GB ceiling but when used Comcast for internet we routinely logged 14 to 16 GB a month so either ATT or Verizon would be cost even more money a month.

Best thing to do is look around and price compare. You do need to know what your useage is so you don't get talked into something too much or not enough. The other nice thing about Millenicom is that I can turn on or off the service as needed. So if we were to have high speed access at a workamper site then I could stop my account and save the $69 a month until needed again. No contracts, no rentals, nothing but service on my terms.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
We have the AT&T wireless data hotspot. Our plan is the 5g. I think the most we have used is around 2g or 2.5g in a month. That is supplying the Internet to two iPads and one PC.

The cheapest way to go is if you have a Droid based smart phone. Root it and load a Hotspot software. Then there is no need to have the extra line and pay the monthly data fee for it. You can do it with a iPhone but its a huge PIA compared to a droid phone.

TravelTiger,
Because you still have the unlimited plan. I would highly suggest getting a Droid Smart phone just because of the above feature. It is very simply to root them with the free software available over the net. Once you do that you will have unlimited data coverage for any device with no added monthly cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Actually Millenicom was quite less in upfront costs when compared to ATT or Verizon. Both of them wanted $249 for the hotspot device and $50 a month for service (5GB). Millenicom charged us $99 for the same device and $69 a month for service (20 GB). We have yet to hit the 20 GB ceiling but when used Comcast for internet we routinely logged 14 to 16 GB a month so either ATT or Verizon would be cost even more money a month.

Best thing to do is look around and price compare. You do need to know what your useage is so you don't get talked into something too much or not enough. The other nice thing about Millenicom is that I can turn on or off the service as needed. So if we were to have high speed access at a workamper site then I could stop my account and save the $69 a month until needed again. No contracts, no rentals, nothing but service on my terms.

Good to know! I guess I was comparing apples to oranges. If you sign up with Verizon for 2 years, the hotspot device is free or really low cost, and the activation fee is lower than Millenicom. But, you now have a contract....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have an unlimited ATT plan (grandfathered) with my Iphone 4S and a MiFi which has unlimited (grandfathered). We can connect up to 10 devices to the MiFi so it works fine most of the places. My wife has Verizon and a Motorola Xoom notepad. The Verizon is 5 GB. We use the internet a lot in our business on the road and cannot depend on the park. We have found places where ATT does not work and Verizon does and visa-verse. That is why we have both. We have also found that the wife's Androde Incredicle 4G lte phone does not have 4G most of the time. When we as Verizon about this we were told Verizon is in the process of upgrading their 3G system to 4GLTE and you will only find in close to major cities at the present time. On the other hand my ATT Iphone 4S has 4g practically all of the time. I do not completely understand it but we have been told 4G lte is faster than 4G and the Iphone 4S is 4G not 4G lte. I only know my 4G Iphone is much faster than the Verizon Drode with 4G lte running 3G and also much faster than the Iphone 3. The Iphone 5 does fun 4GLTE. Also have looked at the Sprint and TMobile but they do not have the coverage that Verizon or ATT does. Look at the maps.

Here is my suggestion if you have to have coverage that you can count on for your business. Go with a Verizon or ATT for your primary system and the other with a 2G minimum system for a backup. I have also found that by calling the customer service number and talking to a live person there rather than going to a store and talking to a salesperson you can get more accurate information. Then if you want to see the product in person go to the store to look at it. Also many times you can get a better deal through the customer service person than from the store. (go figure). Good luck. BTW the 3G store is alot of help too.

PUG

Pug

We travel considerably in the West. I have a Verizon Android with a Hotspot which is basically a modem that I can use to use the internet on my computers. I have found a few places in the low populated areas of Utah that won't give me Internet where Verizon works with other companies to provide phone service. I have an unlimited data usage with Verizon because I have been with them so long. In very low signal areas like the Sawtooth Mts of Idaho I use a Wilson cell phone amplifier that brings low signal strenghs right in quite well. The wilson amp is a couple hundred and has an outside antenna and ac and dc power hookups. I use it on my sail boat all the time. Send me a PM if you need details.