Goodyear Marathon Tires

roazo

Sundance Owner
I need to replace one of my Mission tires due to cutting a sidewall on a curb. I have found Goodyear Marathon ST225/R75-15 Load range D. Would Like to hear about positive remarks on these tires. These can bought at Sams for 105.00 and you can get the road hazard on them. I will repalce all four.

snuffy

roazo said:
I need to replace one of my Mission tires due to cutting a sidewall on a curb. I have found Goodyear Marathon ST225/R75-15 Load range D. Would Like to hear about positive remarks on these tires. These can bought at Sams for 105.00 and you can get the road hazard on them. I will repalce all four.

I bought four new ones of the same size for about $90 each plus tax at a local tire store. Be advised that they are made in China.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I have Toyo tires, on my truck, that I bought from Les Schwab. Went outside and was looking at them, a few minutes ago, and stamped right on the sidewall, "Made in China". Are there any tires anymore that are not made in china???

snuffy

Oldlthrneck said:
I have Toyo tires, on my truck, that I bought from Les Schwab. Went outside and was looking at them, a few minutes ago, and stamped right on the sidewall, "Made in China". Are there any tires anymore that are not made in china???

I'm pretty sure that all the Marathons are now made in China. The Goodyear passenger car tires may be made here.

Country

I think I read that all "ST" (special trailer) tire are made in China now. That's a big statement, "all" so I'm sure there could be a few exceptions, but I think if you stuck with an ST rated tire it would be hard to find one not made in China.

I've also read that even though the Marathon is made in China, Goodyear is very good with warranty claims and covering the cost of damage done to your rig if a blow out does happen....

RugRat

Friend of mine had Goodyear Marathon and didn't get any assistance from Goodyear when the tire blew out. On the other hand, I had one Mission tire blow out and they sent me four new ones within a week with no questions asked. In talking with Goodyear rep a while back, I though he told me some Marathons are made in China and some are made in the USA. It just depends on what batch you end up with.

fishn2dmax

I have been a loyal fan of Marathons for many years. Honestly I have never had one problem with any ST marathon on 6 different trailers ( boat, RV, etc). Sadly, I will no longer purchase any more Marathons since they're made in China. Something changed in their quality when they switched over to making them in China. Take a look at all complaints on www.RV.NET and do a search. I did notice there are still a few North American made Marathons around, but they are rare and if you do find them they are the 16" Marathons; 15" and smaller are made in China .

So if not Marathons what are the other options for a reliable and safe ST trailer tire? After much research there seems to be two brands that have emerged in my research as very good alternatives to China made Marathons in 15" and under:
1, Maxxis Excellent reliabilty (sometimes hard to find)
2, TowMaster ( Greenball) Made in Canada

I just purchased and mounted 2 pair of 15" load range "D" towmasters for my Four wheeler trailer. They are made in Canada and cost around $85 each.

I have ordered 7 maxxis tires from a local tire dealer. Four 16" load range "E" for my Sundance and a 3 14" load range "C" for my boat trailer + Spare.

I refuse to put my safety and that of my family by rolling the dice with China bomb tires.

StevieWonder

Bad news for you trying to avoid Chinese-constructed tires:

Maxxis has been named one of Taiwan’s Top 10 Global Brands for the fourth year in a row

fishn2dmax

Yes, Tiawan is considered by some ( especially the mainland Chinese) as nothing more than an extension of China; however, there are HUGE differences in the Manufacuturing environments between a Tiawanese factory and a mainland China factory. Overall controls by foriegn companies that operate out of Tiawan are far superior that what can be obtained in Mainland China. Maxxis has their own people managing every aspects of their Tiawan plants, whereas in Mainlaind China the foriegn companies are not allowed to have full control. The China bomb trailer tires are coming out of mainland China, Not Tiawan! Maxxis has proven to be one of the the most reliable true ST trailer tires available. They should not be lumped in the same category as the garbage tire factories operating out of mainland China.

StevieWonder

I fully understand the difference but there's still a lot of junk that comes out of Taiwan/Formosa. I'd feel better if the tires were from Korea or Japan rather than China or Taiwan or Indonesia.

jpmorgan37

StevieWonder;

I haven't heard anyone refer to Taiwan as Formosa in years. It was Formosa when I was there in 1956 and the stuff that was coming coming out of there was pure junk. It has changed a lot since then, and as Fishin2dmax said, most of the companies there have some very strict quality control procedures in place, primarily trying to separate themselves from mainland China for a viable place in the world market.

John

Re: goodyear marathon tires

JMO-- I would not get Marathon tires. Had them on another RV and was not happy at all. I have had very good luck with the Maxxis tire as well as others I have known..

Re: goodyear marathon tires

Hello deb,We have a sundance 3300SK and are using Goodyear marathon tires we have had them on for approx 2 years now and have traveled all over the country have not had any trouble with them yet. I have also went from 15" to 16" wheels and tires and a load range of E good luck and have fun with your Sundance TRAVELER07