Another reason to clean up

Pulltab

I have been a big stickler on the fact that while at the factory they should clean up their mess's they made when assembling. Everything from sawdust to slugs of wood left behind because it is in an unseen space. Well last night in an effort to see how I could use the poorly wasted space under the bed which is unaccessable (headboard end) I was peering into the compartment and saw the cardboard roll from duct tape with some tape still on it lodged around the guide roller for the slideout frame! Of course it has bent the frame that the roller is attached to so now I have to remove the board over the bed frame to access it and repair. Why is it these spaces are used as a trash can rather than cleaning it out and throwing the stuff away? Every time I think I have found everything something else shows up. Come on Heartland, have the guys cleanup after themselves!

Not knowing how important this guide is to the slide coming in straight, I can only imagine the damage that could be done should it get crooked and the hydraulics pulling it in! Poor habits cost money. :(

snuffy

Makes you wonder why no one will address all these poor quality habits and makes me nervous about buying one of these.

Pulltab

Honestly I can say that what we have found is COMMON in all rv's we have ever owned. Having said that if Heartland wants to excel they need to work on all aspects of quality and that includes cleanliness. We don't regret buying a Heartland product in any way and are actually quite pleased. They have the VERY BEST service record I have ever experienced and that means everything to me. The good far outweighs the bad but it is sometimes frustrating. :)

snuffy

Pulltab said:
Honestly I can say that what we have found is COMMON in all rv's we have ever owned. Having said that if Heartland wants to excel they need to work on all aspects of quality and that includes cleanliness. We don't regret buying a Heartland product in any way and are actually quite pleased. They have the VERY BEST service record I have ever experienced and that means everything to me. The good far outweighs the bad but it is sometimes frustrating. :)

What concerns me is that they wouldn't have to make repairs if they did the job right to start with. I understand things breaking but not doing it right to begin with. This seems to be an industry wide problem.

Pulltab

Snuffy, you are correct! If you really want to excel in the marketplace do what no one else will. Always worked in my business.

sidney dreyfus

Quality

After reading all these posts, as a owner of a new o8 BigHorn I can honestly say that we owe all of you previous owners for pointing out the problems in their trailers. Heartland should also be commended for responding to and correcting many of these problems. I also know that this is a long process and that the problems I find in my trailer will help future owners. Thanks once again to all of you previous owners for your contribution and to Heartland for listening. We should continue to point out quality control and cleanliness.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Amen, Sidney. This site has been invaluable to both elizabeth and I. Everytime we see something that somebody writes about, we run to see if we have the same problem. Or if we discover a problem, we come straight here and see if someone else had it and how they solved the problem. Thanks to everybody.

Pulltab

I want to say that the reason I post what I find is for the reasons stated above. Owners helping owners and pointers for manufacturers to take notice that we see all and not just the visual items. All aspects of rv manufacture is important. And for the worker who may read this and think we are being picky, think of it like you just picked up your new car and found the ash tray dumped under the seat. Or your brand new paint job has a scratch in it. Attending to all items is what will make Heartland succeed above all the rest. I stand by the fact I believe that they care intently about the customer and want to make things right, but save yourself some grief and do a little advance work to prevent the return of a unit for repairs. :)

This is a great forum and helps a lot of people. Perhaps some are scared off thinking heartland has issues but I can guarantee you that ALL rv manufacturers have the same issues and people on those forums specific to the brand are affraid to speak the truth out loud.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Pulltab...I agree wholeheartedly! I sometimes think that owners of some of the "other brand" units just don't say anything...maybe they don't want people to know the truth, i.e., their units have the same issues the rest of the industry has, and they paid alot more for theirs!!!

ChopperBill

PT, when I looked into the bed frame compartment I pulled out a big enough piece of moulding cap to make another bed frame! Went to put in fluorescent light above the kitchen sink and took out the old light. Pulled wire down to attach to the new light and was greeted by about 1/4 cup of saw dust falling down. Now how that much saw dust got between the two panels is beyond me.
You are correct MOST RVs have the same unclean work habits left behind. One exception. Our Snowriver truck camper. If you can find one speck of saw dust and one cut out I will eat it for dinner. :p I went to their factory. Every station has shop vacs and before it is sent to the next station every thing is cleaned up.

ChopperBill

kakampers said:
Pulltab...I agree wholeheartedly! I sometimes think that owners of some of the "other brand" units just don't say anything...maybe they don't want people to know the truth, i.e., their units have the same issues the rest of the industry has, and they paid alot more for theirs!!!
In all fairness to Heartland I think a new company that is doing as well in the sales market as they are is under a lot of scrutiny. Has to be a tough job.

Pulltab

Do I hear a challange Bill? :) ( in reference to the plug)

As far as Heartland doing so well, you are right. No wonder others are jealous! :)

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Chopperbill...you're exactly right, they are scrutinized more than most in the Industry. They are putting out a product that is at LEAST as good as many of the much higher priced units out there. In some cases, I found their quality to be MUCH better than some of the higher priced units...

It definitely must be hard to be looked at so closely, and some things that normally wouldn't be noticed, are picked on mercilessly. Tab was right too...if they paid just a little more attention to the smaller details, such as cleaning things up, etc...they'd leave the rest of these companies "in the dust"!!