Tires for special order trailers.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
This should probably be in an "ask the factory" post but it's actually a consideration for all Heartland RV's. With the numerous tire issues posted in the last few months this may be something Heartland might consider offering new buyers. When a buyer special orders a trailer through a Heartland Dealer, why not have an option for an upgrade on tires? I think it's safe to assume that Heartland gets their tire and wheel packages from a distributor so I wouldn't think an option of this type would be much extra work for the factory. I know I would have taken advantage of it if available at the time.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
AMEN brother,
I feel the same way. Linda and I are going to be upgrading our Bighorn to a Landmark and hope that Heartland listens to you and everybody else here on the forum. I too would definetely do the upgrade. Has to be cheaper doing it through them than on my own. Besides tires dealers don't give trade-in allowances because from what I understamd tire dealers will not sell used tires.
Thanks for bringing it up Ray,

Mark

ChopperBill

I don't think you will see it as an option. That would admit that the standard tires are not quite up to snuff. I have learned my lesson that when you are planning a purchase of a new trailer, regardless of the brand, pencil in the cost of up grading tires as your final price. Change 'em when you get it home. I got $200 for my Load Stars. It took a lot of pain out of the $800 the Michelin's cost us.
Just priced some Michelin's for our other non TV truck and he had to call. Said the price was going up at a fast pace and couldn't trust his price sheet.
On edit: my tire dealer always gives me a trade in allowance of some sort on my old tires. Not on the Load Stars. Said he wouldnt sell 'em to anyone!

grizzlygiant

mrcomer said:
...... Besides tires dealers don't give trade-in allowances because from what I understamd tire dealers will not sell used tires.
Thanks for bringing it up Ray,

Mark

Most tire dealers probably will not give a trade in HOWEVER there is at least one in Muskegon, Michigan who did give me a trade in on the NEW Mission tires that came with my BH delivered by Lakeshore RV. Four G614 were installed with steel stems and the price was about 1/2 ther price without the trade-ins. PM me if you want more details.,

osims

bsims
I put about 10k on my Karrier load stars and figured I had about pushed my luck as far as I cared to , the Michelins are going on the Horn friday morning.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
jack up axles

I was reading Locos letter from 8-15-07. What I noticed was that there was not any mention of sidewall hardening when the coach sets for long periods of time. Had a good tire guy tell me that is a very large cause for sidewall failure. Do any of you jack up your coach and block up your axles?

Tom of Ypsi

Bob & Patty, What usually is recommended is putting your tires on some wood or something similar to get them off of the gravel, dirt or cement. This is done to prevent leaching of some compounds used in the making of the tires. Unless you are staying somewhere for a very long time I would think going through the process of jacking the trailer up would be too much of a problem.