Add TV to bedroom??

bsnider

BS & Ruth Ann
:confused: I currently have Direct TV satellite with the receiver box and a 32 inch flat screen in the livingroom. My current TV does not have a tuner, as this is taken care of by the Direct TV box.

My wife wants a TV in the bedroom. What is the best way to do this? We would never need to watch both TVs at the same time.

L'l John

bsnider said:
32 inch flat screen in the livingroom.
The 27" Toshibia that came with my 07 Bighorn in the living room went bad. I bought a Vizio 32" flat screen to replace it. I just put it into the opening for the TV on the stand that came with it. I have only moved the camper a distance of 60 miles since replacing the TV. I wedged pillows at each edge and used the factory straps to hold it down.
Just wondering how you have your 32" TV installed and fastened in? Will you elaborate on that?
Thanks

Last edited:

bsnider

BS & Ruth Ann
Mounting the TV

I have a Toshiba and I was able to rotate the base and bolt it down. This leaves only about an inch overhand on the base. I then added some velcro strips at the top to eliminate the TV banging against the edge. I now don't need to do anything to the TV when it is time to go.

L'l John

It looks like I should be able to do the same with my TV. I will be shopping for some heavy velcro.
Thanks

SmokeyBare

Here's a link to photos I posted.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=3295&highlight=mounts

I mounted the bedroom LCD TV using a Swing Arm that I bought at a Sears somewhere.... We move about...

It Worked well, doesn't move when we travel... I have not needed to strap or bungie cord the set in place... I just tightened the swing arms enough to prevent them from moving with out a little effort.

Marv

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
L'l John, we also have a 32" Vizio. I removed the factory base and bought 2 15" shelf brackets from Home Depot, drilled them to match the suggested mounting holes on the back of the TV. I then used cardboard to make a pattern for the bolts I used to go through the cabinet bottom. I set the TV on the cardboard, marked where the holes would be and used the cardboard in the cabinet to transfer the marks for holes. I then drilled holes in the base and used 1/4" bolts up through the base to attach the shelf brackets. Now that I have you thoroughly confused??? I plan on making an access panel on the left side of the TV box behind the cork board.
BS Snider, You can use any TV that will fit in the bedroom. Just use the Antenna connection in the bedroom for receiving normal broadcasts. If you want Satelite up there you will have to run a separate coax OR use the coax that runs from the bedroom to the livingroom. This one is behind the wall attached to the antenna amplifier.

jpmorgan37

Just as a thought, I run my satellite through the vcr and from the vcr to the bedroom and it works great. I just have to get Sue out of bed to go to the living room to change channels.:D:D

L'l John

Ray LeTourneau said:
L'l John, we also have a 32" Vizio. I removed the factory base and bought 2 15" shelf brackets from Home Depot, drilled them to match the suggested mounting holes on the back of the TV. I then used cardboard to make a pattern for the bolts I used to go through the cabinet bottom. I set the TV on the cardboard, marked where the holes would be and used the cardboard in the cabinet to transfer the marks for holes. I then drilled holes in the base and used 1/4" bolts up through the base to attach the shelf brackets. Now that I have you thoroughly confused??? I plan on making an access panel on the left side of the TV box behind the cork board.

Ray,
You have me thoroughly confused!!! :confused:
Did you reuse the base that you removed? Were the 15" shelf brackets in the shape of an "L"? Did you attach them to the place that the removed base was attached and extended them back toward the rear of the cabinet to be fastened to the bottom of the shelf?
In other words, I'm confused!:confused: :eek: :)

pickuphunt

What I did was to make a "door" for the TV opening in the bedroom. I purchased a 17" Westinghouse flat screen TV. The TV has mounting threads to screw a bracket (in my case, I mounted a 3/8" plywood piece about 8" square. To that I mounted a bracket used to hang cabinets. (That is, the kind that one half of the bracket is screwed to the wall and the other to the cabinet.) That matching bracket I mounted to the door I made. The TV then 'hangs' on the door. I did use two hinges on the door and also two 'catches' on the opening side to give better support when the door is closed. I did have to cut an opening about 3" square in the door to allow for access of the TV cable and electrical cord. The TV cabinet then is still usable for storage. WFM (worked for me!)

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
L'l John said:
Ray,
You have me thoroughly confused!!! :confused:
Did you reuse the base that you removed? Were the 15" shelf brackets in the shape of an "L"? Did you attach them to the place that the removed base was attached and extended them back toward the rear of the cabinet to be fastened to the bottom of the shelf?
In other words, I'm confused!:confused: :eek: :)
John, I removed the original base and did not re-use. There are threaded holes on the back of the Vizio for attaching aftermarket brackets. You can find the info in the owners manual. I attached the L shaped shelf brackets to these threaded holes and extended them towards the rear of the cabinet as you thought. They are then attached to the cabinet base through holes I drilled in the wood and bolts come up through the bottom into the L bracket.

L'l John

Ok Ray,
Thanks for the details. I have re-read your previous post many times but I do sometimes think I have a problem with reading comprehension. :)
That gives me another option to making my intallation more permanent and less stuff to do in order to get ready to travel.

jbeletti

CB,

One suggestion that came out of the rally here in SC was to consider making a forum for Mods people have done to their units. So later today or soon, I'll be adding a Mods forum. Still thinking on how to organize it. Thinking it best to be its own forum, rather than one under each trailer model.

Jim