South Dakota changes 5 year rule for DL renewal

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
Happy to report that SD Governor signed Senate Bill 45 into law on March 4, 2013. The law will "permit certain persons to renew an operator's license, a motorcycle operator's license, or nondriver identification card without appearing in person at a driver license exam site.". Previously, you needed to appear in person at the DMV every 5 years.

Still being hashed out to put it into process, but basically you'll need to show two forms of proof of current address, and "
an affidavit signed by a licensed optometrist or ophthalmologist that supplies proof that the applicant has adequate eyesight".

Great news!

Speedy

I think it would be easier and cheaper to show up at the DMV and have it renewed rather than paying your eye doctor for a affidavit. I just got mine so I'm good for five years, but I'm still working on plates.

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
Here's further clarification from our manager at America's Mailbox:

I talked to the state yesterday. You can only do it every other cycle and you have to have your original receipt, if you lost your receipt will have to come back to South Dakota and stay your one night. So yes you can do it online but every 2nd time you will have to come back and stay your one night, unless you lost your receipt from your last stay then you will have to come back again.

You must also understand, the representative from the state said that they have not even started on the website to have this service so it may not be available until a few months to a few years in the future.

Obviously, it's still a fluid situation.

I'm not sure I agree with Speedy that making a trip from anywhere USA vs. a trip to the eye doctor for a visit every five years and having him sign a form is more cost effective for us that domicile in SD, but don't "live" there.

Last edited:

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Here's further clarification from our manager at America's Mailbox:

Obviously, it's still a fluid situation.

I'm not sure I agree with Speedy that making a trip from anywhere USA vs. a trip to the eye doctor for a visit every five years and having him sign a form is more cost effective for us that domicile in SD, but don't "live" there.

I would agree that a eye doctors bill would be cheaper most of the time, at $4.10 a gallon, it would go pretty fast to cover the doctors bills.