Our Second Mod

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Well my other half and I got tired of getting hot before the A/C would come on and would be cold before it would go off so We went to Wal-Mart and purchased a Hunter thermostat which I installed last weekend. I was not completely satisfied at first with it set on a two degree variation but after changing it to one degree variation it works great. Set at 76 degrees the A/C comes on at 76.5 degrees and goes off at 75.5 degrees. This is a great mod for $20.00.

Don

Pulltab

Yeah, digital thermostats are a great improvement. We bought a programable one which works really well for setting temps during different times of day. One thing that most digital thermostats don't give you are the option to use hi or low speed on the fan. I just added a toggle switch to get that control back.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Hi Pulltab, I have read about the toggle switch addition to the digital thermostat and we talked about it and deecided we would give it a try without one and if it becomes a factor it will be a simple addition to what I have done

Pulltab

Yeah, it's a simple hookup. I did it because the AC on high was so loud it was hard to hear the TV without turning it up and down. I added the low switch and it has not affected the performance of the unit that we can tell but sure is quieter.:)

chardel

It seems to me that I saw in an earlier thread on this subject that someone posted exactly how they put in the toggle switch to gets the two fan speeds with the Hunter thermostat but I was unable to find it in the search function. Anyone remember where it was as I was interested in how that might be done to get the two fan speeds back with the digital t-stat.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Try this link.http://home.roadrunner.com/~morodat/hunter_install.html It has pretty pictures and a good explanation of the hi/lo switch. It's the one we used. The only thing I dislike about the cheapo hunter is when you change from a/c to heat, you have to reprogram the temperature. I'm not sure if there is a t'stat available that will save the settings for each function??? Anyone know about these things?

jpmorgan37

I had one in my last house. You could program heat or cold, set temps four different times each day, set five days the same and weekends different and it ran two years on one AA battery without reprogramming. They are out there but I don't remember who made it and the house and paperwork are long gone. Check with a HVAC dealer and they should be able to guide you to the correct one.