Slipping front landing jack upgrade

lavadg

After trying to trouble shoot the front landing jacks, I decided it was time for an upgrade.

As some of the cyclone owners have experienced, the clutch likes to slip on the electronic motor that controls the jack height. Many owners have been able to fix their problem by fixing a loose/broken bolt that was hitting the motor. After checking the system about four times, I realized that this was not my problem and something else had to be done.

I contacted Venture Mfg Co. (who makes the landing gear) and asked about an upgrade. To my surprise, they make a conversion kit that adds a 2nd motor to the system. Heartland should make this kit standard. Because of the gearing, you will have to replace the leg that does not have the motor. The kit includes a leg, motor kit, and gear reduction box for under $300.00. Doing the electrical work and installing a new leg looks really easy but I will need to cut a hole in the side wall so I can manually crank the jack if ever needed. That is going to take some work. Looks like I will have to move the propane switch down and cut a hole in some very thick metal.

Here is "Venture’s" web page http://www.venturemfgco.com Doesn’t show this kit but has contact information. They do not sell to the public but can forward you to someone that does.

I’ll let you know how things go…parts should be here in a few days. Anyone else do landing jack upgrades???

plumberdude

hi lavadg,
when you install your system let me know ,being new to this i have a 3914 and heard about the landing gear problems(don't want the wife to hurt herself) the cost is small then the pain of cranking. take snap shots. you can email plsanta@aol.com
thanks
pat

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
This sounds interesting also because it will give the added benefit of independently adjustable legs. Nice when you need a half inch or so on one side or the other.

Uncle Rog

Hey Ray, when I am setting up I eye-ball the level and drop the low side leg a click or two below the the high side so when I drop the rig it is pretty even. I also have some of Chopper Bills air bags to get the tires up if need be, i have only had to use them a couple of times in the desert.....................

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Hey Ray, when I am setting up I eye-ball the level and drop the low side leg a click or two below the the high side so when I drop the rig it is pretty even. I also have some of Chopper Bills air bags to get the tires up if need be, i have only had to use them a couple of times in the desert.....................
I have a leg leveler. It's a device that fits into either leg and gives you an inch of adjustment for that leg. I usually level up on boards under the tires but even on uneven or unpaved sites it gives me a little help to minimize frame flex at the front.

santafedave

Santafedave
Hey Lavadg did you upgrade to this system. I have my TT at Camping World and I would like them to install this upgrade and I would like to know how you like this. Thanks, David.

PUG

Pug
I upgraded my 3950 to the dual motors several weeks ago. I have a post in the forum section (front landing legs) or something like that, that details what you need to do to install it, tools, wiring, etc.