Satellite hook-up on 2006/07 Bighorn 3400 RL

Fitz803

I have tried and tried to hook up outside tripod Dish satellite to no avail. Does anyone have knowledge as to how to accomplish this feat. Would like it to go to both tv's. Other than this small problem, WE LOVE OUR BIGHORN 3400 RL.

pickuphunt

Satelite Hookup

We have used an outside dish for a few years. Try this. You need to come from the dish to the Satellite input jack at the side of the BH. Be aware that one of the satellite input jacks goes to the cable in the roof in case of a roof mounted dish. The other input jack goes to the Satellite connector on the wall behind your TV. That must be connected to your Satellite IN on receiver. NOW, if you use a two-way box (i.e. one input 2 output available at Radio Shack), connect the out connection from your receiver to the in on the 2-way and then connect one of the out on the two way to your TV set in the living room and connect the other to the CABLE connector on the wall behind your TV set. That will feed the cable connector in your bedroom. You will not be able to watch two different shows at the same time unless you have a dual receiver. We have a dual receiver in our home - wife and I have different viewing requirements. She doesn't like football. Our receivers work on RF , so you can change channels in the bedroom without the remote seeing the receiver. WFM (works for me)

vangoes

Pickhunt,
Try bypassing the units circuit by running a cable in the door directly to the receiver to test if the circuit is bad. Me as well as others have had problems with the cable connectors on the unit. If that works then start testing the continuity on the units cable looking for either no continuity or for continuity between the core cable and the grounding shroud.

SmokeyBare

Fitz,

A handy tool to use when connecting and finding a signal for Satellite Dish is a Satellite Finder. This is a small meter that is connected between the receiver and the dish's LMB.

The Receiver sends 12 volt through the cable to the Dish. You will KNOW your connected to the right cable connector by the light that is activated on the Meter when connected to the correct cable connection... the receiver must be turned on at this point...

If You do not get power through any of the cable connections... there must be a problem with the cable between the receiver and the outside connections.

I hope this helps...

Also a side note: If You ever connect to a Campground cable system... be sure to turn off the "Antenna Ampflier" which is often located near the bedroom TV Location.

Good Luck, Marv

SmokeyBare

Fitz,

I have a tool called a "Satellite Finder" that is very helpful. These can be bought at Camping World or on E-Bay for a far lower cost. It's a small in line meter that has a light that shows your receiving power as well as a noise signal that increases as your signal strength goes higher.

When you connect this meter to the cable connection that is coming from the Dish Receiver (With the Receiver's Power ON) the meters light is activated. The Receiver provides 12 volt to the Dish LMB... so there has to be power coming from the Receiver to make the dish work.

If your not getting a light... your not getting power from the Dish Receiver through the connection your using. If you do not get power through any connection... there is a problem... Start by unscrewing cover plate and checking the cable that connects to the cable outlet.

Once you do get connected to the right cable and are getting power through that cable... the Meter helps to locate the strongest signal from the satellite. Keep in mind... this simple meter finds signal from ANY Satellite up there... So your going to need making sure the Receiver has found the correct Satellite. You will know this by they built in signal strength meter through your TV.

I hope this helps you...

Marv

Larry W

Fitz,

I have a BH 3055 and it is in the shop right now for the same reason. I have identified the correct cables, but the satellite signal will not pass through it. Hope that it can be fixed soon.

Larry W

Last edited:

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Simple question,but did you try both connections? Our cable connections were mis-marked. We switched them and the Dish works . Our outside scare lights are mis-labeled as well.

Larry W

I checked out all of the cables. Used a VCR and I could send an RF modulated signal through both lines, but no satellite signal would pass in either direction on either line. The unit is under warranty and I am letting the dealer figure this one out.

jbeletti

Hi Larry,

Just a few ideas for you in the event you want to spend anymore time on this before it goes back to the dealer.

Since you were able to pass an RF modulated signal (assuming channel 3) but not a satellite signal, it is my sense that there are one or more bad fittings (connectors) in the line or maybe a splitter with a passband lower than the satellite signals. If you have the time and are so inclined, before taking it to the dealer, you may want to check all of the F-connector fittings in the lines. Look for two main things:

1. That the center conductor is not too short - it should be flush with the end of the connector and
2. That there are no aluminum braid (shielding) hairs or foil wrap (more shielding) wrapped around or near the center conductor as you look down into the end of the connector. If there is, use a tiny screwdriver to move these items to the outer edge of the connector.

If the center conductor is too short, you will need to cut off the old connector, strip the cable end and crimp a new connector on.

If for some reason, there is an RF splitter in the satellite antenna lines from the factory, this would be in error and it would need to be removed (use an F81 barrel splice) as they will not pass the higher satellite frequencies from your LNB.

Jim

vangoes

Larry,
I had the same problem initially with my satellite and it turned out to be the aluminum braid was wrapped around the center conductor in the fitting at the docking station. Easy fix..........just pull off connector, peel back braid and reconnect. If you check for continuity between the center conductor and the outer coupling it will tell you if that is the problem (there should not be any continuity). Disconnect the cable from the receiver inside before the continuity check. Prior to checking the units cables I ran a cable from the dish through the door to my receiver to make sure I was locked on to the satellite. Good luck!

Larry W

Since the rig was under warrenty, the dealer was able to fix it. He said that there were several bad connections and a severely twisted wire.

All is good now.

Thanks for the suggestions.