Do the Electric Brakes work with the battery off?

jbeletti

Another thread on another forum here tonigth reminded me of a question I have for anyone who knows.

With my last TT, I was told and knew as fact that I needed to keep my TT battery switched on while underway so that the brakes would lock-up if I had the trailer break away.

I thought this was the same way in my Heartland but was recently told differently by a Heartland plant employee (I forgot his name). He told me that the break-away switch and brakes were wired from the battery "before" the disconnect switch in the Landmarks.

Anyone have any experience with this? It makes sense. If it's true, I should be able to keep my trailer battery disconnect switch OFF while underway. It would make me feel safer in the event that I develop another LP gas leak.

Jim

merlinb

Retired
Hi Jim,
I had the same question the first time I picked up a Heartland at the factory for delivery. The guy that was doing the final checks as I was getting hooked up turned the battery disconnect switch "off" and and locked the compartment. I said, "Wait a minute. Am I going to have break-away brake power?" He assured me that I would. However, being the skeptic that I am, I got out my test light and made sure I had power at the break-away switch. Then after I got hooked up I pulled the pin on the break-away switch and the brakes did, in fact, lock up with the battery disconnect switch in the "off" position. Just remember that when the battery disconnect switch is "off" you will not be recharging the coach battery from the tow vehicle while driving.

jbeletti

Merlin,

Thank you for that confirmation. Your curiosity and safety nature has saved me time and given me more peace of mind.

When I pickup my trailer to go camping, it has been plugged into AC at my seasonal site so my converter (with charge wizard) has kept the batteries fresh. So off the switch will go from now on.

Thanks again and travel safe friend,

Jim