Towing 5th wheel with Dodge 2500

swany

I have been looking at two Big horn models. The 3055RL (dry weight 10850 and Hitch weight 2060) and the 3370RL Dry weight 11100 and hitch weight 1940) I own a 2006 Dodge \ Cummins 2500. GCWR 13100, payload 2070. I know that I'm pushing the numbers. I also know that the only difference between the 2500 and the 3500 is springs and the badges on the doors. With 3500 springs the payload goes to 2880. So my question is is anyone towing a unit like these with a 2500? Does it work? Not really looking for prognostication on the subject, just some input from someone(s) that have done it. Thanks

grizzlygiant

I tow my BH 3400RL with a 2007 Heavy Duty Dodge 2500 with the 5.9L Cummings. I have towed 6000 miles so far, cross country, over flat lands and over the Rockies. No problem what-so-ever 'tho I did have to slow down to 45 mph on some of the steepest grades. I did add Timbrens to keep it from bottoming out on deep dips in the roadway. My 4WD has coime in handy a few times in gravel lots and wet grass.

v92c

Texan
I have towed thru the hills of Austin Tx and around Houston (which is flat) with no problems. I know that I am close to the max bed weight of my truck but well under the towing capacity. Therefore under the braking capacity. The truck has plenty of power to accelerate with the load and the brakes are quite capable of stopping the rig.

Tony

GypsyBill

and Jennifer
I tow a 30' Cedar Creek Silverback that (with my truck full of fuel and two people and a dog) scales at ~17,200lbs with a '03 2500 LWB CTD.. the particular design on my 5er only puts about ~1600 lbs of pin on the truck and 8300 on the axles loaded for a week of camping... with these weights in mind, the truck scales at ~8900.. about 100lbs under "factory" GVW rating of 9000lbs when hooked up but well under the 20,000 GCVW rating. I too have put Timbrens on but I did so because the landing gear are soooo low fully raised that I wanted to eliminate even the 2" of squat I was getting.. the truck pulls, handles and stops with ease, but I don't want anymore than I have... I tend to be very conservative (and I think Dodge is also) when it comes to weight and although I "feel" as if the truck could handle more, I am not going there..

Towing 5th Wheel with Dodge 2500

We purchased a Bighorn 3055RL about 10 days ago and towed it 260 miles to bring it home with a 2006 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel. I was accustom to pulling a #9500 fiver, but did not incur any negative towing characteristics. Sure it took a little longer to get up to speed, but everything considered, I'm pleased with the combination.
I purposely stayed with the lighter Bighorn model because I didn't want to approach the recommended towing capability of the Dodge. I originally thought that the dry weight was #10850 for the 3055RL but on the paperwork on the inside of the trailer it lists the UVW at #11,030. I have a hunch it's higher than that, but I'll hold off saying anything until I get it to a scale.
Maybe if we believed 90% of the truck rating and 90% of the listed trailer weight we would be safer.

5erWonk

I tow my 3055 with a 2006 Dodge Mega Cab 2500. I have towed at least 6000mi cross county and up and down the western US with no problems. I did have Firestone air bags installed when I bought the 5er, but only inflate to minimum pressure.

The only thing I would like to add is an exhaust break.

BluegrassMan

Swany:
I currently tow my GC with a 96 "HD" 2500,(club cab long beds in 96 had an 8800 GVW), the Dodge dealer said that the 1 ton started at 9001lbs GVW. I also have Air Lift bags and compressor installed, I get a better ride with them pumped up, keeps the truck level too, and doesn't bounce up and down over bumps etc.
One Ton trucks don't just have heavier springs that make them 1 Ton trucks. You get a larger Dana rear (axles,springs etc.) bigger hubs,bearings,brakes,etc. I'm saying this about Duallys not the single wheel models. It's better to have too much truck than not enough. I have felt for a good while that my 2500 wasn't enough truck, especially on steep decents and it's getting tired (121Kmi). I should be picking up my KR F-450 this week. NOW I'll feel confident in ALL situations towing.

jbeletti

Denny,

That's going to be one awesome truck. Saw a couple of F450s used for pulling their Heartland units at the rally in Myrtle Beach last weekend.

Jim

BluegrassMan

Jim:
Thanks for your comments, You have a killer truck as well. Mine rolled off the transporter this afternoon. I'm picking it up Thursday afternoon, then it's off to Line X, then to the hitch guys for the rails. Then I'll have a Dodge for sale. I feel like a kid a few days before Christmas, I even went in tonight and peeked at it on the back lot. Snapped some pics in the dark.

jbeletti

I sort of feel the same way Denny. In Elkhart today, I stopped by Chariot and snapped more pics of my truck in-process. Even though I don't need it until April, it will be fun to get it in a week or two.

They had knocked off the Ford rear suspension and installed the Link Mfg. chassis air suspension today. The bed is complete but not yet fitted onto the chassis. Got some great pics of it and took some compartment measurements.

Christmas in October for both of us :D