Grills

sjrellis

What kind of grills are you full-timers using? Now that it is the end of the season :)( ), I want to get one. Will probably have to buy one online. I read on another forum that some people like the Weber Baby Q(?).

DennisZ

I just got a Weber Q200 (big brother to the Baby Q, now the Q100), and used it for the first time 2 weeks ago, I really like the unit. It seems to heat evenly and cleans up pretty nice.

Dennis

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've heard good things about the weberq but personally think it takes up too much room. We have an Olympian from Camping World. This is our 2nd one. 1st one lasted 10 yrs.

Cheryl

I have the bigger Weber Q also. We love it. It cooks really fast though. I've found that I have to start the indoor stuff way before Nelson fires up the grill. It is large but with the huge basement in the Heartland products, we have plenty of storage.

BigBlue

BigBlue
We use a little domed charcoal grill and love it. I tried a small gas grill but didn't like it. I couldn't control the heat well enough to roast chicken or grill ribs. There seemed to be hotspots and coldspots across the surface.
I don't grill the last night we're at a place so I can empty the ash and then store the grill in a large garbage bag so I don't get ash in the storage area.

phranc

First the disclaimer: I am not a full timer,but I do own a Baby Q.......
The Baby Q is OK for 2 to 4 people but it lacks enough space to cook for a crowd, Also I find it does not turn down low enough.. Other than that it is well made and light enough for travel

sjrellis

Actually, a non-full-timer answer is great as well. I just thought they may have more experience for long term use.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I have been using one of the Weber black square gas grills. I don't much like it cause it cooks uneven and the wind blows the burner out all the time. I much prefer charcoal to gas. I have recently found one on line that I am going to buy. I used to have the larger version and it did a great job of grilling, smoking and roasting. Here is the link for those that want a great grill and like charcoal better than gas. It is a little spendy, but the full sized one that I had lasted for ever. Had it for over 10 yrs. Still as good as new. Had to give it away when I moved to an apt. a few years ago. There are some great portable gas grills on this site too.

http://www.grilllovers.com/Ecommerce/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductSeriesID=27066&CategoryID=0

retroxrider

I have the larger Q and really like it. I had the Olymian, and personally like the Q much better. We have a seasonal site, and I have the stand for the Q, so it stays out all season long. Have had mine for 5 yrs now, and cooks as good as the day I bought it.

snuffy

I have the rectangular charcoal grill from Wal-Mart that cost about $18. It has folding legs and has cook space enough for at least four people. I much prefer it even to my Beefeater gas grill at home which I paid big bucks for.

J

Jim_1899

I have Weber Q100 and bought a 20lb propane tank that I keep in a plastic storage container. I did buy the griddle from Weber it works fine but is very small. It does clean up very well. So good that it will burn everything so good you can forget to turn it off :).

Last edited:

Niles

We also have a Weber, and have the problem of flame smothering out with the lid fully covering it. I have to cock the lid so it has some air or it goes out. If we replace it I'm going for the Holland, it's a little bigger but I have one at the cabin and has lasted a very long time. The portable one is stainless and very well built however it is a little expensive:(.

ct0218

We have the Holland and it works great. Takes up little room, well built and a little expensive. I found it at CW for $180 I think.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've heard good things about the weberq but personally think it takes up too much room. We have an Olympian from Camping World. This is our 2nd one. 1st one lasted 10 yrs.

We bought the Olympian a little over a year ago. About 3 weeks ago, the burner crapped out due to rust. Are they making these things cheaper or what? Not really. The grill we had for 10 years was only used about 5 or 6 weekends a year. The new one is used almost every day. I called their customer service number and they sent me a new burner, no questions asked. All that being said, our next one will be the Baby Weber Q:).