Top Hinge Adjustment for Shower Door

jbeletti

Not sure if it was out of adjustment when we did the PDI or if it happened shortly thereafter, but I always felt that the shower door was pretty hard to open. I always thought that was good, figuring the door would never open while underway.

Well, I was wrong. Last weekend, Nancy was giving a tour of the trailer to some friends and when she opened the shower door, it was really floppy at the top.

I looked at it a few minutes to figure out how the hinge mechanism worked and found that the top hinge pin was no longer in the pin hole of the door.

I was able to adjust it. If your Landmark shower door seems like it opens really hard, almost drags, you may want to look for this.

Here's my procedure (assumes top hinge pin is out of pin hole):

1. Lift door up and off lower hinge pin - set door aside
  2. Loosen top hinge pin set-screw, push hinge pin up as high as it will go and tighten set-screw
  3. Place door back into frame, placing bottom hinge pin into bottom hinge pin hole
  4. Standing in the shower, looking down at the top of the door, guide the door so that the top hinge pin and hole are aligned
  5. Loosen set-screw and allow hinge pin to fall. Tighten set screw tightly.

If your door is still too high for the hinge pin to slide in, you may need to raise the top track of the door frame. I did have to do this. I removed a single screw on the inside of the upper-right corner of the door frame.

My door now works incredibly smoothly now. Hope it stays that way.

I have attached a few pictures to make more sense of my steps.

Jim

Attachments

• top_pin_down_position_lg.jpg
    top_pin_down_position_lg.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 111
  • top_pin_up_position_lg.jpg
    top_pin_up_position_lg.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 92
  • top_hinge_top_pin_top_track_screw_lg.jpg
    top_hinge_top_pin_top_track_screw_lg.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 85
Jim,

Thanks for the tip. Have you also had any problems with water running out on the floor of the trailer from the "gutter" at the bottom of the door when you open the door after showering? On the last coach I had the door, when opened, tilted inward so the water in the gutter would drain in the shower. I can't seem to get the door adjusted so it will do the same thing. Any thoughts?

Dave

J

Jeff

Shower Door Drain!

Hi Dave:

This is Jeff.

See my post here on the Shower Drain problem.

Easy to do, should have been done at the Factory, but works very good and you will get no large amounts of water on your floor, maybe a couple of drops. All your shower water on the glass simply drains back into the shower stall!

Here's the link:

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=270

Take Care.

Jeff

Last edited:

jbeletti

Hi Dave,

When I did my hinge pin adjustment, I did Jeff's drainage technique at the same time. I haven't used the shower since but Nancy said it worked great.

Jeff,

Thanks for the ideas/ingenuity as always.

Jim

Hi Jeff:

This is Dave.

I did not know you were referring to the “manufacturer” as that of the door. I thought you were referring to the trailer manufacturer.

However, I still have a problem. If this is the door manufacturer fix, then they are leaving themselves open for lawsuits. I dealt with OSHA and IOSHA too many years to not know when there is a design flaw that could lead to litigation. “A few drops on the floor” means they know that water gets on the floor. This can be a safety issue.

The door should be designed to tilt inward, like on my last coach, so the gutter water runs inside the shower when the door is opened. Was this really the “fix” the door manufacturer came up with? Or was this just a great idea from another source?

Dave

J

Jeff

Hi Dave:

No, I was referring to Heartland and not the door manufacturer.

And this was my design and doing based on Scott's recommendation. Maybe that is why the Factory doesn't do it??

Also, I don't think OSHA has much to do or say with regards to RV's, The RVIA, "The Recreational Vehicle Association", www.rvia.com , which we all pay a fee for, when we purchase trailers is the governing body here. I may be wrong! And I really don't think you want OSHA involved in this, as I remember it, OSHA stands for what??? OUR SAVIOUR HAS ARRIVED! And as I know it; what they usually do is add increased cost to everything when they step in and try to fix things!

The holes I drilled in the bottom channel fixed the problem for me and it was a fix I can definitely live with. Plus, I don't have a bunch of soaked towels to deal with after the shower. A few drops vs. a large puddle works for me!

You can write or call Scott about this, but there are other trailer manufacturers that use the exact same shower enclosure in other 5th wheels and Class A motor coaches as well.

We live in such a litigious society, that it is amazing we all don't have a court house in everyones back yard. People have forgotten one of the main things that made this Country GREAT, "QUIT TRYING TO BLAME EVERYONE ELSE and TAKE SOME RESPONSIBLITY FOR THE THINGS YOU DO OR THE MISTAKES YOU MAKE!" I know most people don't want to hear that anymore, so I'll get off my soapbox.

Anyway, that's my 4 cents worth!

Take Care.

Jeff

Jeff,

Let’s try again. One thing I learned when I use to teach business writing was that the written word is only about ten percent effective. And I don’t think I am “scoring” that high! Talking on the phone is better, and face-to-face the best.

I think you are misconstruing my question and other comments. This is my fault. I am out of practice.

Are you saying that the door is intended to work the way it does? If so, why was it made with a gutter? If it were not there the water would not have any “delays” trying to get to the shower. Has the manufacturer of door ever been contacted about how the gutter is supposed to work?

If I knew whom to call, I would be more than happy to contact them.

Dave