Winterization

jackg

I am just going through my first experience of winterizing my 3055RL (Great unit by the way!). THE BOOK says drain the fresh water tank, but doesn't say how. My guess was to open the low point drain and run the water pump till it lost suction, but I want to make sure I don't have the world's largest ice cube in the spring...ideas?

grizzlygiant

My BH3400 has low point drains (1-hot and 1-cold) which drain the pipes. There is also a drain for the water tank located elsewhere for draining the tank. Remember to also drain the water heater by removing the plug in the tank.

At this point you could blow out everything with compressed air and/or close the water heater bipass and pump in "pink stuff" making sure it gets to every outlet (kit and bath sink, shower,toilet outside shower, washing maching, ice maker). I do both. Pour a little anti freeze down each drain to keep the traps from freezing. Done!

Jackg
The fresh water tank drain for the 3055RL hangs down in the area of the blank & gray drain. Get down by the main drain pipe and look towards the middle of the trailer. There is a two position rotating valve just like the low-point drain valves you mentioned.
I applied some air pressure at the fresh water fill port (with the drain valve open) to get the last of the water out of the tank. Where my trailer is parked, it seems the back end is low and I might not be getting all the water out so I added some RV anti-freeze that will be flushed out in the spring.
I believe this should take care of the fresh water tank part of winterizing. What grizzlygiant stated gets you into the rest of the process, plus drain the hot water heater.
Good luck

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
I removed the rod in my water heater to drain the water heater. There is some grey sludge or powder from the rod I think. How can I flush is out of the Hot Water heater?
Thanks
Wayne

Retyred

Water heater flush

Wayne:
I bought a water heater flushing wand from Camping World and it works great. It is long and thin with a curved end so you can shoot a stream of water all around the inside of the water heater flushing out the sediment. The part number is 14677 and I think it $8.95. I also bought an extra anode rod from the parts counter for the Suburban water heater only$14.95.
Good luck.

Martin

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Thanks Martin
I will get one next time at campers world. Where do I go for the Suburan water parts.
Also Where in Ontario do you live? I am near Windsor.
Regards
Waynd

Retyred

Wayne:
I got the anode rod at the Belleville Michigan Camping World. They have them at the parts counter. These are an original Suburban part. You will not find them on the shelf. You can phone them and make sure they are in stock. I live in Toronto, I met you at the rally and we talked about buying a trailer in the US and bringing it back to Canada.
Martin