Hitching & Backing Hints

As a newbie, yet to pickup my 3400RL from the dealer, I'm feeling a little anxious about the hitching, unhitching, and backing into a spot. I've looked to the heavens and decided to call upon the wisdom of the "Big Kahunas of the trailer world" for any helpful hints and "whatever you do don't do this list".
Practice-Practice is a forlong conclusion.

christianson

Make a list of things to do to hitch and unhitch then open area parking lot or field dont let anybody help and practice hitching an unhitching then go to backing around something like cones or something you can see in your mirrors the hardest part is to hitching and having somebody that wanst to help thats when things happen ask JP

v92c

Texan
I like to visually verify that my hitch is latched by looking at the jaws to make sure they have closed, everytime!!! I hear stories of people that thought it closed and dropped the camper on their trucks. They got too comfortable.

Take your time. And do a walk around to make sure you didnt forget something.

I also agree with Christianson, dont let someone else do it for you. I learn better by doing it myself, hands on.

Good Luck and dont worry about it too much, it isnt rocket science.

grizzlygiant

Remember that the 3400 is LONG. Make WIDE turns. I caught a bumper on a parked truck within my first five miles off the lot.

jpmorgan37

Christianson is right, ask J. P. Rule #1, don't have spectators talking to you. Rule #2, make sure that the trailer wheels are chocked in both directions. Rule #3, don't use 6 inch blocks under the front trailer jacks. Rule #4, do what v92c said, verify that the jaws are closed and locked. I had a hitch break and not latch, wheels weren't chocked, fell off of 6 inch blocks and I was talking to spectators. $3200 later, I got my truck back from having both sides of the bed replaced. Tough lesson to learn, but I get real anti social when I'm hooking up or unhooking. I have a good check list for setting up and tearing down and my bride has one that she uses inside. That way we don't forget stuff if we are interupted, which happens frequently (and I'm not complaining). Besides, I'm old and I forget things.

jimtoo

JP and the other guys are correct, get a routine and stick to it. It's a lot cheaper take the extra couple of minutes and be safe than sorry. I painted the edge of the jaws of my hitch bright orange and the pin of the trailer white, that way it is easy to see that every thing is in the right place when you look after hooking on.

After I am hooked on and ready to roll, I do one last thing. I walk away from my unit and look at the top and kneel down and look underneath from both sides. That one last look before the road might save an antenna or keep you from running over something.

phranc

Untill that day comes when you think you are super proficient in hooking/unhooking and all other details outside, just use a check list. Lots of people do.. As far as backing into a spot, practice with a fellow RV er or use cones. Have your wife help and learn also, so both of you are using the same signals. At the actual campsite ,take your time, ignore outside kibbitzers, and give yourself more room than you think you'll need. Some times walkie talkie communication between driver and spotter works

HappyKayakers

When you're backing into a spot, watch your trailer wheels. They should be following an imaginary line into your spot. Let your backing partner watch for the trees, rocks, power poles, etc.

bowtorc

Paint the back side of the 5th wheel jaws white. This makes it very easy to glance in and see that the jaws are shut.

Roger

pickuphunt

Backing hints

Most people I notice having trouble backing into a campsite don't pull ahead far enough. Many may be used to backing some sort of trailer that is hitched to the bumper. If hitched to the bumper, you have much more control of swinging the unit has one way or the other. A 5er hitched to the pickup over the rear axle doesn't allow for that quick swing of the unit. So, pull ahead further, and start your back turning approach sooner than you might with a trailer hooked to your bumper. WFM (works for me) Something else to try, find a large parking lot, set up some pilons ( just some rocks, or boxes) that simulate a campsite and practice.

nhunter

When you are backing up put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel upside down and turn the way you want to turn. Lists and assigned tasks are a good idea. I do outside / Momma does inside. You might want to put a sticky note beside your slide switch to remind you of tv antenna and tv booster.

P.S : J P, you don't have to be old to forget.

On edit: get some two way radios if your not good a scharades. (It's spelt wrong but get the radios)

Last edited:

5erWonk

When hitching you canalways check the jawsand they may look engaged but there is nothing like a pull test to be sure. Raise your front jacks just slightly off the ground, then with your trailer brake lever engaged pull forward slightly. If the jaws don't hold the rig will only drop an inch onto the legs.

If you feel uncomfortable backing sometimes DW works better behind the wheel with you in front of the TV, (not television). The advantage is from your perspective looking at the front of the TV you tell her the direction you want the trailer to go ie: left, so she turns the wheel left. Communication is not confused and you know exactly where you want the trailer placed.

Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks

As usual, you folks have responded with some helpful advice. I feel a little more at ease, the actual undertaking, I'm sure, will be the best experience. The hints about placing a marker on the TV and the trailer seem logical and sound for hitching. The location of hand placement is another helpful hint. Painting the jaws and the pin, will help to ensure a good connection as will the slight tug. I'm sure these will serve me well in the future. Plz fell free to pass along any other ideas.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
I agree with pickup, I always pull ahead another 6 ft or so when I think I have enough room to back into a space. Yes do check the jaws are shut, but also do a test pull before you move the jacks, the pro's do. Also do a complete walk around, checking lights, suspension, tires for correct pressure, not bulges, cracks, inside and out etc.
Rand