Winterization - never ending

RubiconAg

I'm not sure if our dealer did a terrible job on our walk through or if I just missed everything they said.

When winterizing our trailer (2950RK) do we have a bypass for the water heater that I am not finding? How about an anitfreeze inlet port?

I am a little disgruntled at the lack of owners manual information on topics like this. This is our second trailer (not the typical newbie, but pretty close) and we want to do it right.

Nick

pickuphunt

winterizing

Depends on the year of your 5er. The 07 we traded had a panel accessed through the port side (left facing forward) basement door that needs to be removed to get access to the valves that need be switched to by-pass the water heater and a valve that switches the pump input source from the fresh water tank to a short hose that you can insert into the RV antifreeze bottle to pull the antifreeze through the water system.
The new 08 we have ordered (Due off the assembly line Oct 17th) has the switching valves at the docking station along with an input hose for the antifreeze. I say this only because we have seen this on 08 units at the dealer and have not actually done the process on the 08. This was one of the features that prompted us to trade among many others.
I can only speak of units I have seen with kitchen 'midship', not a rear kitchen - I don't know if the arrangements are different.

RubiconAg

Wow i cant thank you enough for the information. I will have to check the access panel when I get home.

Nick

geeksrus

pickuphunt said:
Depends on the year of your 5er. The 07 we traded had a panel accessed through the port side (left facing forward) basement door that needs to be removed to get access to the valves that need be switched to by-pass the water heater and a valve that switches the pump input source from the fresh water tank to a short hose that you can insert into the RV antifreeze bottle to pull the antifreeze through the water system.
The new 08 we have ordered (Due off the assembly line Oct 17th) has the switching valves at the docking station along with an input hose for the antifreeze. I say this only because we have seen this on 08 units at the dealer and have not actually done the process on the 08. This was one of the features that prompted us to trade among many others.
I can only speak of units I have seen with kitchen 'midship', not a rear kitchen - I don't know if the arrangements are different.

I have a 2008 3400RL and it does not have the switching valves at the docking stations... I wish it did, as it is a pain in the butt (and other places) for an old fart like me to limbo to get access to the valves.

EH!

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
I also have a 2008 3400rl and have to remove the panel to get at the switch valves. It would be nicer on the docking station.
Regards
Wayne

cmart

My 08 3055RL doesn't have that feature at the docking station either, but it sounds like an excellent idea. I'm kinda like geeksrus, bones wouldn't hurt as bad if I could winterize from the standing position.

Uncle Rog

I have posted on this subject before, it is 70 right now at 22:00 and tomorrow is predicted to be 90+. We are going to Furnace Creek for turkey day, guess we will have to put some socks and sweat shirts on the rig....no really, some times it gets down into the 40's....

grizzlygiant

My 2008 3400RL has the winterization valves and antifreeze inlet right on the docking port. It is the easiest winterization setup I have yet encountered....2 gallons of pink + 15 minutes; all done!

I post this for the sake of readers who are considereing the purchase of a new BH.

bgilm

I have a 2950rk and you have to remove the panel. I am going to put a hinged access on mine to make it easier. In Idaho one of the first things you ask is "where is the bypass"

hankie419

2008 Bc 3300rl

Our 2008 BC 3300RL which was manufactured in Sept. has the both the valves to bypass the water heater & to winterize at the docking station. This may be a recent modification.

sidney dreyfus

winterizing the factory installed water purifier

After winterizing our trailer with antifreeze, I looked behind the docking station and noticed the factory installed water purifier canister which is an option was still filled with fresh water. After calling the dealer, I found out that the cannister should probably be removed for the winter because the quick winterizing process does not reach the cannister. I didn't blow the lines with air before running antifreeze through them so I'm not completely sure if the air pressure would have completely emptied the cannister of water. I understand that the plastic connections in the line are the pieces that would have cracked if the cannister wasn't removed for the winter.

RubiconAg

It seems that even though we own a Big Country, our model (2950 rk) did not come with most of the factory standards. Ours is an 08 model but we do not have the antifreeze bypass or washer/dryer hookups :confused: .

Should call the factory and inquire as to why ours does not have some some of the standard equipment?

Hank: Can you take a picture of your wet control area, I might want to add this and want to get an idea of what the area looks like.

3rpete

2950rk

looked at a new 09 2550RK...it had the antifreeze feed line on the
outside panel, with all the other valves, etc.
Pete