Generator Prep

Cheryl

Hey Scott,
Just wanted to let you know the gen prep package arrived today. It has been less than a week since we spoke. I appreciate your very fast response. That's what I call taking good care of your customers.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Might I ask what is involved in prepping for a generator after the unit has been assembled? The reason I am asking is that my 3655RD is scheduled for production on July 15 (or at least I hope so) and one option that I did not request is generator prep, since I don't plan to use one. However, down the road I (or the next owner) may want one and I am curious what can be done later.

Cheryl

You need a control panel with a remote wiring harness and a metal enclosure. (The metal enclosure is to be installed in the front cabinet of your basement for the generator to go in) and the main feed from the generator to the main breaker panel. Also, you should have an electrician to do all the wiring. Luckily for me, I'm married to one! There may be more, he hasn't installed ours yet. Scott can probably give you more details.

Last edited:

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
So, if I understand it correctly, your unit had nothing done and the unit that you received had all of the parts. Correct?

Tom of Ypsi

Cheryl,

If you do not mind me asking, how much did the gen prep cost and are you planning on putting an Onan or similar gen in your coach?

Cheryl

No, our unit was supposed to have the generator prep - at least that's what the dealer said. We didn't order the unit though, we bought it off of the lot. When we found out it didn't have it, my husband contacted Scott. He did some research and discovered that yes, the build sheet listed it, the dealer was charged and so were we. We do not know what the cost is. Scott sent us the kit (minus the metal enclosure box) to make things right. The box is just to big to ship.

Tom of Ypsi

Cheryl,

Thanks for the reply. I wanted the gen prep but the trailer I have came in before I could actually order one.

Cheryl

You're welcome. Our generator is an Onan, but you could use whatever brand you want with the kit. Are you electrically inclined or would you hire someone to do the job?

Tom of Ypsi

I can do some electrical depending on the wiring. I would have to see the schematics first and now that I do not have the gen prep I just may go with a portable gen.