Cold weather camping

I live in the northeast and would like to camp year round. Has anyone had experience with a big horn in below 32 weather. Is it necessary to get double pane windows. How much room would I lose if I go to a lager refer also
Thanks for any input
campincarters

HappyKayakers

We spent last winter in Amarillo TX. Got 22 inches of snow and 2 ice storms. We will NOT do this again voluntarily. I stuffed insulation everywhere I could. Used heat tape and foam insulation on the incoming water line. We still had freezes inside until we started leaving cabinet doors open to get the room heat. Froze our sewer hose once when we left the kitchen faucet trickling overnight. Fortunately, free propane was part of our workamping agreement. We might've gone broke trying to keep the rig warm.
I would strongly recommend skirting. Should help with all of the issues that we faced.

SmokeyBare

Howdy Carters...

I'd have second thoughts of spending a whole winter in New England.... Ya know those wheels are ment to chase the sun...

Last winter we had 4 days of 17 degree nights in Atlanta Georgia. The wind caused the most problems as it seems to Suck the heat out of the RV pretty fast. I wasn't running the propane furnace, instead I was using two electric cube heaters. That mistake caused the water pump or a line going to that pump to freeze. The pipes below need heat to protect them from freezing. I always disconnected and drained the water hose each evening as well.

If You do go forward with your plans I would suggest some type of skirting. to block New England's Icy wind from flowing under your RV.

Yes I believe dual pane windows help for winters cold as well as summers heat.

I would also suggest contacting a local propane company to have a large tank installed next to your RV. That should help prevent running out of Propane for your heating and cooking at 1:30 AM on a Holiday Weekend.

I would also invest in pillows to stuff into the ceiling vent openings... as well as a roll of multi purpose insulation foil. You will often see this used for sun screens. This can be tightly fitted in the windows. This will help keep some of the cold from radiating through the glass.

Your going to have a far longer time dealing with below freezing temperatures than you suggest by your question. The days may often go above 32 Degrees... the Nights on the other hand will drop far below that temp.

Good Luck ! I'll be thinking of you... haha... sitting by the pool.. in Yuma Arizona's warm sunshine.

Marv

ChopperBill

Have to agree with the other posters. Got caught in the snow in the WY mountains a couple of weeks ago. Furnace wouldnt quit running and it still was not warm enough for me. We have the double pane windows and have learned to keep the shades DOWN when it is cold. Makes a big difference. Like Smokey Bare said "use those wheels!"

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I am in Rangely, Co. Way up in the Northwest Corner,
working on a Gas Plant project. Already told my boss I am leaving the 26th of this month. We have already had a bit of cold weather. We have stayed pretty toasty, but am not staying here for the winter. Heading for another job in Houston. My Dad traveled in his work and I grew up in a 28 foot travel trailer. I already know I don't want to spend the winter here.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
we have done some cold weather camping also. If the windows are thermopane (ie. sealed units) 2 peices of glass are better than one. There is a company in BC that does make thermopane windows for RV's. Saw them in a Citation (by General Coach) 5th last week. Use a digital thermometer and keep the day shades down to cut some draft. Also foam fill the holes that come from the floor into the cupboards and any hole that you can find from the sorage area and behind the removable panels there.
Best way to keep warm, like the others say go south...
Rand

thanks everyone for your input

thanks to all for your input I hope to get some more info soon
I like the idea of skirting was thinking of doing hay bales around trailer
campincarters

HappyKayakers

campincarters said:
thanks to all for your input I hope to get some more info soon
I like the idea of skirting was thinking of doing hay bales around trailer
campincarters
I'm certainly no expert on hay bales but I did hear some folks talking about it in Texas. Apparently there's 2 different kinds you can get. One kind will attract bugs and mold. Sorry I can't remember more of the specifics.

SmokeyBare

In the dead of Winters Icy Grip... The chance of Mold is far lower...

I have seen Straw bales used... Straw is a cleaner material... hay could be just about anything... But what hay is clearly good for is eating... by Critters... I've seen bales Wrapped in thick plastic... that will help keep the moisture from soaking into the bale... but ONLY Some...

Now on the down side of Straw or Hay... don't ya know all LiL' Critters are searching out a warm place to spend their winter as well, out of the cold wind and falling snow... guess where they're going to be....

Marv

sidney dreyfus

winter camping

We also live in the Northeast. We plan to leave our Bighorn in the Pocono's all winter and use it when our son is off from school. When not being used I will winterize it. When we are there I will keep it nice and warm not only for us but also to make sure nothing freezes. We have sewer and electric hookups and will rely on the on-board water tank for water. We do have the dual pane windows but decided to keep the standard refrigerator because we didn't want to sacrifice any storage space. We camped last winter which happened to be pretty mild in our old travel trailer without incident. We like winter camping because it's beautiful and most of the time pretty quiet. I don't think we would be very happy waiting till next spring. Good luck and hope everyone has a great winter.

Garry & Bev

travel bug
Coming from the farm. We would suggest using straw bales not hay. Although mice like to use straw for nests too. Hay bales are not a good choice as they mold, are more likely to heat if baled too damp and all kinds of critters like it. And definately get the dual pane windows. We got them as an option in our 3055 and already notice a huge difference from our old trailer that had the single pane. Condensation is not a problem now when the temp drops to just above freezing. Hope this is helpful.

5catfam

I have seen the blue foam sheets used to form a skirt around camper and then it was sealed with shrink wrap plastic. Makes a good sealed up unit.

nhunter

In the campground I am in some people are using Syrofoam SM boards, some are using foam bubble wrap and others have velcro or snap on skirting. They then put a 500w halogen bulb under the trailer and good to go.