2011 Ram 2500 towing Cyclone 4100 King

Boudreaux

I’m going pick up my Cyclone 4100 King Friday. My buddies told me I will not have any problem pulling it with my 2011 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel. A guy I work with pulls his 40’ Raptor with his Chevy 2500 with not problem. Now I am second guessing myself for going so big especially for my first camper. If it is too much for the truck, can I get my money back If I never take possession? Are dealers liable for selling a rig over rated for the truck. The wife got me nervous now.

jimtoo

Hi Boudreaux,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Sounds like the dealer was doing his job, selling a unit. Most dealers do not care if you try to use a go=cart or dump truck, they are there to sell trailers. You should consult with someone or do some research to make sure what your truck can handle. You probably will be overloaded, but you need to check all the weights first. This is a good weight calculator. Fifth Wheel St.

I'm sure some of our other members will join in soon.

Please do a very good PDI when you go for delivery. Take your time and make sure everything works and you can work everything.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

scottyb

Boudreaux, congratulations on your new Cyclone 4100. You are going to love it. You need to be sure to post up some photos after you get it.

You are facing the same dilemma as I was when I picked mine up. I already owned a Chevy 3500 SRW and the dealer told me it would pull it, no problem. He was right. It pulled it very well, until I experience a moderate cross wind. As I did more research, I learned that with my toolbox, 60 gal transfer tank, and a travel ready 4100, I was severely overloading the rear axle and tires. I wasn't even carrying but a few gallons fresh water. I decided that was not sustainable over the long term and a risk I was unwilling to take, so I traded up and bought a DRW. I have no doubt that your drive train will handle the load, but you will be overloading the 2500 even worse than i was on my 3500. JMHO

jwg61047

Boudreaux, I had the same problem. I ordered a Big Country 3596 that was suppose to weigh 11,900 but when I mine came in it weighed 13,100. I have a 2011 F250 with a 6.7 power stroke. I knew I had enough power and drive train but the suspension was what worried me. I went ahead and took possession and took my first trip two weeks ago and had no problem at all even with a 35 mile per hour cross wind. I have air bags I pump up to 30 and get no sag at all. My trailer loaded was 14,500 and it stopped it on a dime. No problem. I had to hit the breaks hard in waco and the trailer brakes worked great. The Trailer didn't push me like some might suggest. I pulled a 14,000 pound Montana with a 350 and I can't tell the difference. If I ever upgraded trucks, I would go with the dually for the extra two tires and stability. I have a regular cab so I have more payload room than you but you won't have a problem pulling it.

Boudreaux

Thanks guys. Does anyone know if I can get out of the unit before picking it up or doing PDI? I really want to get something safe for my truck. I will have my wife and 2 girls in the truck 5 and 1 1/2. I did all the research for a bunkhouse and I was fine. Salesmen pushed really hard to get this one, and my wife is really ****ed that she changed her mind.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thanks guys. Does anyone know if I can get out of the unit before picking it up or doing PDI? I really want to get something safe for my truck. I will have my wife and 2 girls in the truck 5 and 1 1/2. I did all the research for a bunkhouse and I was fine. Salesmen pushed really hard to get this one, and my wife is really ****ed that she changed her mind.

This is something you will have to discuss with your dealer. You may lose any deposit especially if it was a special order.

jbeletti

My sense is that if approached properly, the dealer would want to work with you to get you in the coach that is right for you. See if they will allow you to apply your deposit towards another RV ordered through them.