Steering Shock and Level/Tension Bar Suspension

jcd8822

Joseph
This afternoon we were talking to another full-timer who asked if we had a "steering shock" and did we have a level or tension bar suspension rod under our truck. He said he lerned about it from someone he met back when he was selling travel trailers. The man told him he used to do testing of trucks and rigs under all types of situations to see if the weight and balance was correct and what happened at various speeds if certain things happened. He said they did a test where one of the front tires on the pickup blew out (he had a way to make it happen) to see at what speed the truck and trailer would go into a rollover. It did it at about 45 miles per hour. (Truck was mechanically driven, no human behind the wheel.) But if the truck had the "steering shock" the driver could bring it under sontrol without it all rolling. (That is when the human was behind the wheel.) It did not stiffen or affect the day to day driving and steerring of the truck. He said Chrysler could install one if we did not have it. I have always wondered, and sometimes worried, what would happen if a front tire blew out on the truck.

I am not sure just exactly what the level or tension bar running underneath the truck is suppose to do. Has anyone ever heard of any of this or know anything about it?? I am totally in the dark.

Joseph

nhunter

My F-350 has a steering stabilizer (shock) but that is to help smooth out the steering while normal driving. It also has an anti sway bar that minimizes swaying:rolleyes: (body roll and the likes)

jcd8822

Joseph
Thanks, I still have not had a chance to check my Dodge RAM 3500 to see if it has it as part of the Heavy Duty package. Have been too busy driving across the southest towards Texas. I will have more time Wednesday after getting back to check it out.

Joseph

BJ'sDad

Joseph, I know the steering stabilizer is standard equipment on the 4X4 2500 and 3500's, but to tell the truth I'm not sure about the 4x2's.
You have the "heavy duty" package, all Rams equipped with the Cummins have that.

Ya should have said something last week, I would have stuck my head under the front bumper and looked.
If you have the steering stabilizer, you can easily see it just by looking under the bumper, it is connected to the passengers side of the axle and the other end connects to the tie rod near the center.

I upgraded mine to a Skyjacker stabilizer as the stock ones are not known to last too long.