Getting and Using 3 ACs in Cyclone

howdy, am newbie but wanted to confirm 3rd a/c..I currently have 2013 cyclone 4000 elite being built at factory with del end march..probably overkill for just me n girlfriend but felt it better to go ahead n order unit with 3 a/c's..the cyclone is a lot of rv n rather be safe than sorry...be safe

Brock1981

Re: Opinions Wanted regarding Cyclone 4000 Elite for Full Timing

Can you run all 3 air conditioners at once and is the garage AC ducted through the whole unit?
C

danemayer

Can you run all 3 air conditioners at once and is the garage AC ducted through the whole unit?
C
Hi Brock1981,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. You'll find lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

I don't know the answer about running 3 air conditioners at the same time, but I expect that another owner, or perhaps the Cyclone Brand Manager will fill us in on the details.

scottyb

You probably can on 50A shore power, but maybe not on the generator, since 50A service gives you 50A on both legs. I wish that option had been available when I got mine.

oscar

Hi and welcome. Once running the AC's pull about 6A. So 3 will run just fine on 50A, and even 30A. But, the problem is the spike during startup. It's a lot more, in the teens. So as they cycle on and off there is a (small) chance that two or (smaller) three would try to start up at the same time. That wouldn't work.

There are controllers that will avoid this, look in the whole house generator arena.

Our 4100 came with two, salon and mbr. When (it will) the need arises for an ac in the garage, I plan on getting a portable one at HD and running the exhaust through the floor.

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance

If ordered with the 2nd and 3rd A/C option it comes with a transfer switch that will only allow the garage or bedroom A/C to run the same time, as the STD 15k unit in the middle of the unit. The generator does not have enough power to run all 3 A/C's at the same time which is why we must put in the transfer switch in to turn the bedroom or garage A/C off while running the STD 15K unit.

thanks,
AJ

scottyb

AJ, does that include when connected to shore power or just on the generator? It looks like you should have enough power with a 50A service.

AJJONES

Yes that unforchunetly does include when you are plugged in to 50amp service, because both systems are wired together. If we hooked up the system so that it can run all 3 at once the generator system would not have enough power. The only way to run all 3 A/C's at the same time is to run a power controll system that shed's off power sources while using the generator (which we are looking into but have not done much testing with).

Ladiver

So, can you run the bedroom and garage at the same time if the 15K unit is off?

AJJONES

No the 15k is constant the other two alternate on and off

ak1971

AJ,

Mine was orderd with 3 also. Great information. On another thread somewhere, I saw that they were wiring the 3rd Ac so you amp when could plug into the 30amp direct for the third Ac, Is there a way to accomplish that?

Thanks

AJJONES

Unfortunately not, RVIA code will only allow one power source per unit (doesn't make much sense to me but standards we must live by). It could be done after the fact with a proper 50 and 30 amp service, unfortunately this is something we can not do from the factory. However it would probobly be easier to install power controll module after market to achieve the same result and only require one 50 amp cord.

oscar

Hi AJ, thanks for weighing in here. And, while you're here, missed it on my PDI and don't want to open things up just yet. Is the AC in the bedroom a heat pump or just AC? Or does it have a heat strip? Thanks.

porthole

Retired
Thanks. May look in to installing a heat strip.

Relativley inexpensive and works pretty good for taking the chill off. It wil not heat the trialer on a cold day.

We have heat strips in both units and between those and a small Pelonis we hardly ever turn on the then main heat.

Ladiver

So, the three units will not run at the same time and the bedroom and garage can't run at the same time even if the main 15K is off? This is how it is set up if ordered from factory. How easy is it to add a/c to the garage or bedroom after the fact and would that then allow for bedroom and garage to run at the same time?

AJJONES

Our units are preped and wired in the bedroom, but not STD on the garage. Your best bet would be to order it with the 3 a/c's from the factory and have a power management system installed after the fact if you must run all 3 a/c's at once. Even with power management you would only be able to do it when plugged into 50 amp service.

Ladiver

Thanks AJ. Anytime I would need all 3, I would definitely be plugged in. I will ask the dealer about the option of a power management system.

Ladiver

AJ,

Now that I have my new Cyclone, I am learning more and more about it. I still would like to operate the bedroom and garage a/c at the same time. I do not need to run the main at that time. you mention a power management system. I know you probably can't recommend by name, but through my research, Progressive Industries makes a pretty well respected one. I am looking at their EMS-HW50C. If this is the type of product you are referring to, then I am on the right track. If not, could you point me in the right direction?

The second question would be after I install the device, would I just remove the "light switch" and tie the wires together to allow both a/c units to run?

Thanks,

Jeff