2009 Heartland Sundance 3300SK

dreamon

We are looking to purchase a 2009 Sundance 3300SK. It has 16" wheels, so does this mean it has the heavier axles (7,000#)? We plan to full-time in what we buy, and don't want to buy something that would already be over the axle weight limit before we put anything in it. You can see by just looking at it that the kitchen side has to be much heavier that the dining table/couch side. We really like how both sides open up the living area. Anyone own or previously own that could give us any insight on this model? Sure would appreciate it! Happy camping!

danemayer

Hi dreamon,

On a Sundance, the 16" wheels probably go with 6,000# axles which would be matched to the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the trailer. There's a label on the trailer showing the GVWR, which I'd guess is around 14,000#. Roughly 2,100# of the total sits on the hitch, supported by the rear axle of your truck. The remaining 11,900# is supported by the 2 axles. The actual numbers on the rig you're looking at may vary a bit, but this is pretty typical. 7000# axles are standard on Landmarks and larger Bighorns with GVWR of around 16,000#.

dreamon

Thanks for the reply! Do you think this would be sufficient for full-timing? We want to head out this fall! Happy camping!

danemayer

Thanks for the reply! Do you think this would be sufficient for full-timing? We want to head out this fall! Happy camping!

As long as you don't overload the trailer the axles will be fine. I'd check the date code on the tires. Original tires on a 2009 would be near end of life even if they have plenty of tread left.

If you're asking a more general question about suitability for full-timing, that's probably more a question about how the floorplan and features fit with your expectations. I'd take a good look at the interior storage and closet space and try to imagine the stuff you'll want to have with you.

I see you're from Wisconsin. If you're planning to head south for the Winter, that'll probably work well. I'm not sure how well the standard Sundance will do in a Wisconsin winter weather. If you plan to summer in the south, you'll probably want 2 A/C units, which requires 50 Amp service. If that's your plan, I'd suggest checking to see whether this trailer is 30Amp or 50Amp.

dreamon

Have no plans of being down south in the summer. Love Wisconsin and the grandbabies are here... so we plan to come back to spend the summers here. But last summer was so hot that it wasn't a lot of fun camping here! We owned a 2002 Coachman then and the air could not keep up with the heat! Thanks for your input!

Speedy

We are fulltiming in our Big Country and I will tell you that last summer in Minnesota was borderline for a large 5th wheel with one AC unit. If we started it a day before the hot days arrived and kept it running until the next cooler day we faired pretty well. 90+ outside we'd have 79 to 81 inside; so if that is not cool enough for you then you will need to get a 2nd AC unit.

dreamon

So have you heard of Mission tires? Do you think they are the original tires since no one in our area has heard of this brand?

Jim Posz

The Mission tires are the brand of chinese made tires that came on my 2007 Sundance, so I would expect that they are original. If you don't mind getting a bit dirty, Lippert (the usual axle supplier) has a sticker on the axle itself with the capacity. FYI my 2007 3300SK came with 5200# axles and 15" tires; I upgraded to 6000# axles during the 2011 rally and now run MAXXIS tires. So far, so good. I did run the rig loaded through the scales at the same rally. I don't remember the results off the top of my head but could dig them out to share with you if you want. We've had the rig since new and still like the floor plan.
Jim