no heat pump???

bpe

Dealer we are talking to orders his Landmarks with no heat pump and a fireplace. He states the fireplace emits more heat than a heat pump. Says running system fan with it circulating heat works better than the heat pumps. I have heat pumps in current unit and no fire place. Is this correct?

jjriker

I don't know for sure which one emits more heat, but we have both a heat pump and a fireplace and I would not want a rig that did not have both.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
He is probably comparing a heat strip to a heat pump....and there is no comparison. Heat pumps work well...heat strips, no so much. We too have both heat pumps and a fireplace and use both quite often.

jbeletti

I can't answer your question in any technical sense, but if you want heat-pumps, your dealer can order them when he orders your coach, regardless if he never orders them for his own stock units.

It's your coach, order it how you want.

Heat pumps are not in-expensive. But they sure are nice if you camp in climates where they can work. I've had them in all but one of my 5th wheels. I usually get only the main unit with the heat-pump.

Get what you want :)

K

karykatz

the heat pump will put out more heat througout the entire coach. It is a great option for long periods of time in cooler weather. That being said, this is no substitute for the propane furnace. The furnace must run when weather is below freezing. This is the only way to protect your underbelly.

I hope this helps.

kakampers

the heat pump will put out more heat througout the entire coach. It is a great option for long periods of time in cooler weather. That being said, this is no substitute for the propane furnace. The furnace must run when weather is below freezing. This is the only way to protect your underbelly.

I hope this helps.

The great thing in the Landmark...the system automatically switches to the furnace when temps drop below freezing, even if the mode is set on heatpump or auto...really love how it works!!

travlingman

The great thing in the Landmark...the system automatically switches to the furnace when temps drop below freezing, even if the mode is set on heatpump or auto...really love how it works!!

That is what I thought and have been told that by 2 different dealers. I asked a Heartland rep the question of what temp does the system change from heat pump to furnace, and I quote his answer, "They are not connected so they do not work in conjunction with each other. Each are seperate. Per engineering." So, do they switch from one to the other or not. I hear they do, and a Heartland rep says they don't. Still don't have an answer as to what temp the heat pump stops, but according to reps answer, I assume it works at any temp until I turn it off? Have they changed so they don't switch?

danemayer

That is what I thought and have been told that by 2 different dealers. I asked a Heartland rep the question of what temp does the system change from heat pump to furnace, and I quote his answer, "They are not connected so they do not work in conjunction with each other. Each are seperate. Per engineering." So, do they switch from one to the other or not. I hear they do, and a Heartland rep says they don't. Still don't have an answer as to what temp the heat pump stops, but according to reps answer, I assume it works at any temp until I turn it off? Have they changed so they don't switch?
This may be a thermostat function. The Dometic DuoTherm Thermostat manual says:
When in the HEAT PUMP mode, if the outside ambient temperature is measured to be below 30°F and the vehicle is equipped with a
furnace connected to the Comfort Control Center, the control will automatically select the FURNACE operation and the HEAT PUMP
will shut down.

No mention of this in the Dometic Single Zone LCD Thermostat manual.

kakampers

This may be a thermostat function. The Dometic DuoTherm Thermostat manual says:

No mention of this in the Dometic Single Zone LCD Thermostat manual.

We have the Comfort Control II thermostat....this unit connects all three systems,I.e., heat pump, furnace and AC. In HP mode at 30 degrees it will switch to furnace...in auto it will turn on whichever system is required to maintain the set temp. It also switches to furnace at 30 degrees ambient outside temperature.

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
I don't know for sure which one emits more heat, but we have both a heat pump and a fireplace and I would not want a rig that did not have both.

Same here. Have a new Key Largo on order with both the fireplace and two heat pumps. Have the fireplace and heat pump in my current Bighorn and would never be without either.

Rickhansen

Dealer we are talking to orders his Landmarks with no heat pump and a fireplace. He states the fireplace emits more heat than a heat pump. Says running system fan with it circulating heat works better than the heat pumps. I have heat pumps in current unit and no fire place. Is this correct?

bpe,
Your dealer should easily be able to point to the equipment specs or at least model numbers on the heat pumps. They should be able to tell you exactly how many BTU's the units can deliver down to 30 degrees outside. My guess is that the main heat pump by itself will deliver more than twice the heat than the fireplace will.

The fireplace is 1500 watts, so it will deliver 5,115 BTU's, give or take. We like the ambiance as much as the heat.

If you plan to do much cold weather camping. I'm with Jim B. on this - get the fireplace and the heat pump option.

It's always good to have options. :cool:

bpe

We have dual heat pumps on our current coach. It works well down to around 45, we usually turn on furnace at 40ish. Unit will change over automatically around 38ish. We are in rather cold climates sometimes. I chase shutdowns with petro and chemical plants. If big money in cold area, we go. Heat pumps mostly aren't used there.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
The new Landmarks come with heatpumps if you order the new quiet AC system. They are part of the upgrade. As far as I see it, we have the older A/C system and still would not be without the heatpumps. They work well below 38 degrees and switch to furnace around 30 degrees. We have lived full time in our Landmark and have not even filled our propane bottles a half a dozen times due to the fireplace and the heatpumps. Great systems and should be in every AC.

bpe

So you are saying a 2013 San Antonio with "quiet whisper dual ac" option has heat pumps? The unit I was posting about has this option.

danemayer

The Heartland website shows the Whisper Quiet Dual A/C as standard on the Landmark, but it shows the heat pumps as an option that's available. Sometimes there are changes, so the website isn't always 100% up to date. I'd call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 to find out for sure.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yes I believe they do. I was looking for a flyer that JBeleti put out but I could not find it.

kakampers

No...we had to order the option of the heat pumps...the two A/C's are standard, but the heat pumps are optional!!

K

karykatz

Landmarks come standard with 2 high output 15K ACs. Heat pumps are optional and only work when temperature is above 40 degrees.

I hope this helps