Satellite / Receiver Question

lisntodd

Hello everyone. We just purchased a 2012 Big Country 3690SL. We have not had the "tour" from the dealer yet, but I've been reading everything I could find on Satellite in RVs. We currently have DirecTV at our home and my *plan* is to get a tripod and take the dish/ 1 reciever from the house. We will still be in the local area, so we should still receive the local channels. Our rig is "dual satellite preped", whatever that means.

The rig has 3 TVs (1 in the living room, 1 in the bedroom, 1 in the outside bistro). My question is, how do I get satellite to all 3 TVs? Do I need to contact DirecTV and get a reciever for each TV? Do I run the coax cable from the dish to the "Cable" connection on the rig and have the 1 receiver connected to the living room TV? I guess I'm a little (or a lot) confused on the setting up the satellite. I plan on asking the service guy at the dealer during our walk through, but I thought I'd get some much needed knowledge from you guys/gals.

Thanks in advance!

Todd

PUG

Pug
I have Dish but I can say it usually depends on the receiver you have. I have a receiver at my home in Idaho and a receiver here in my 5er. To get local news I can use my rooftop antenna or call Dish and tell them I am say in Tucson and they will change the "spot" to the Tucson area so I can get Tucson local TV or whereever I am.

Dish allows you to have a receiver in a RV so I am sure Direct does too.

When I put the Sat in I got a receiver that lets me have TV on my living room set and also on my bedroom TV. I have two different remotes to operate them independently. I used the existing wiring in my RV to cable to the bedroom from the receiver in the living room. I put a switch in to be able to use either my roof antenna or sat in the bedroom.

Where they have so many different receivers and setups I think I would contact Direct and get some guidance on what receiver you need and an installer if you need one. I was lucky as my brother understands Sat and helped me decide on the receiver, the dish, etc.

danemayer

Hi lisntodd,

First of all, congratulations on your new Big Country. Welcome to the Heartland family. It looks like you joined the forum a while ago so you probably already know that Heartland owners are quick to reach out with help.

To answer your questions:
We have some COAX layout diagrams in the manuals section of the forum. Here's a link to a COAX Layout for the Big Country. It doesn't show the connections for the outside bistro, so that may take some exploration on your part. In the Universal Docking Center (UDC), you'll find 4 coax connectors for satellite. Of each pair, the right-hand connector is for the pre-wiring for a rooftop satellite dish. The left-hand connector goes to either the living area or bedroom. Sometimes the bedroom connector is in the closet, sometimes over the dresser. If you ever install a rooftop dish, you would jumper the left/right connectors in each pair. When you have a tripod mounted dish, you run coax to the left-hand connectors.

That said, sometimes the cabling and labeling gets mixed up. So try the left-hand connectors, but you never know...

Directv has 2 technologies in use. Multi-switch, and Single Wire Module (SWM). The LNB in the dish and the receivers have to match. Some receivers can do both. Others only one or the other.

Multi-switch LNBs have 4 coax connections at the dish. With that technology, you would run a separate coax line from the dish to each receiver. The coach connections are in the middle of that run. There are two issues you're likely to have with multi-switch. You may not have a satellite connection in the UDC that connects to the bistro location. The bistro TV may be set up to run some other type of connection; perhaps HDMI from the living room receiver. The 2nd problem is that if you have a DVR receiver, the multi-switch setup requires 2 coax lines to that receiver, whereas you have only one coax line. There are solutions. Often the simplest one is to run a new cable yourself.

SWM LNBs have a single coax connection at the dish. It connects to a 4-way splitter that you would probably want to mount in the UDC. Then each of the outputs can be connected to a coax line going somewhere in the coach. SWM also requires a power inserter device that you might install at the living room receiver. The SWM technology requires only one coax line to the DVR, so you don't need to run an extra line in the coach. Another advantage of SWM is that it enables "Whole House" viewing from the DVR. Any of your receivers can watch things recorded on the DVR.

I don't know if you really want to take a permanently mounted dish from home. You could create problems for yourself at home and end up paying to get them fixed. You can typically find a Slimline 3 dish, with either technology LNB, for under $100 on Amazon or Ebay. You might be able to get a Directv guy to give you one.

From the perspective of contacting Directv, if you mention RV, you may run into complications. If you just want additional receivers, they'll may give them to you for a new 2-year contract commitment and charge $6/month for each, and install them in the house. When you go on a trip, you just take them with you, set up your dish, and you're good to go.

For me, they set up a 2nd account for the RV. Then they merged that account with my home account so a single programming package works with both accounts. The home receivers and RV receivers all show up on a single bill. There was no charge for the HD DVR and HD receiver in the RV. They also gave me a new Slimline-3 SWM Dish along with the 4-way switch and power inserter. I provided the tripod. I had the RV in front of the house and the installer aimed the dish it and set up the receivers. I think they called it a "move" and charged me $20. The 2nd account approach lets me subscribe to Distant Network Services which is how you get CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, WB when out of your local area.

I hope this all makes sense.

Don't be too hard on your dealer if they don't know the answers. It would be surprising if they did know anything about satellite.

DuaneG

I called dish and they were actually rude to me on the phone. I wanted info on getting satellite to the RV. They really pushed for me to change my home service and make a second account for the rv.

I wanted to buy the auto locate dish Tailgater from Costco

http://m.costco.com/DISH-Tailgater®-Portable-HDTV-System-VQ2520.product.11766857.html

But they said it only works on one tv. The package comes with a receiver and the receiver apparently can act like a DVR if you attach an external hard drive.

So I can live with that, but needed some clarification first. We have one satellite input into our trailer and that splits three ways to three different cable outlets in different rooms. I guess I would have to leave the receiver in the undercarriage so the antenna wire could go into the receiver and then the receiver out could go into the trailer and make its way to all tv locations. I am okay with that because we don't have space for a full size receiver near any of the tv's. I would have to watch the same channel on all TVs, but would not have to re wire anything underneath.
So if that's possible how would I be able to change the channel from whatever room I was in. I have seen a device that does that before but can't remember the name. If I did that and was able to record, I would think I could watch recorded shows on any tv also.

Otherwise give me other options that would not require new wiring. I really don't know if dish is going to work for me or not. But they do offer pay as you go plans if you don't want a contract and don't want satellite service at home.

If I went with a pay as you go plan I would only pay for the months I use. I like that option instead of having to suspend service and restart it. There has to be so many days between suspending and restarting or else they will bill you full price. The cheapest plan is $19 a month for 40 channels and I could always add a couple fav channels for 5 bucks extra if needed.

The dish Tailgater is made for ease of use and only certain receivers will work with it. Is there more flexibility with a regular old dish that I have to point into the sky. I am all about convenience.

danemayer

Hi DuaneG,

As you've already figured out, the trick is how to use one receiver with 3 TVs. A different dish wouldn't do anything to help you with that problem. Your idea to mount the receiver in the basement and route the coax out to the Cable input in the UDC will do that for you, but that leaves the problem of how you will control the receiver remotely. I think an RF to IR remote might work since RF doesn't need line of sight. The question is whether it will get through the trailer walls reliably. Here's a representative device on Amazon - not sure if this one will fit the receiver's remote.

mobilcastle

I called dish and they were actually rude to me on the phone. I wanted info on getting satellite to the RV. They really pushed for me to change my home service and make a second account for the rv.

I wanted to buy the auto locate dish Tailgater from Costco

http://m.costco.com/DISH-Tailgater®-Portable-HDTV-System-VQ2520.product.11766857.html

But they said it only works on one tv. The package comes with a receiver and the receiver apparently can act like a DVR if you attach an external hard drive.

So I can live with that, but needed some clarification first. We have one satellite input into our trailer and that splits three ways to three different cable outlets in different rooms. I guess I would have to leave the receiver in the undercarriage so the antenna wire could go into the receiver and then the receiver out could go into the trailer and make its way to all tv locations. I am okay with that because we don't have space for a full size receiver near any of the tv's. I would have to watch the same channel on all TVs, but would not have to re wire anything underneath.
So if that's possible how would I be able to change the channel from whatever room I was in. I have seen a device that does that before but can't remember the name. If I did that and was able to record, I would think I could watch recorded shows on any tv also.

Otherwise give me other options that would not require new wiring. I really don't know if dish is going to work for me or not. But they do offer pay as you go plans if you don't want a contract and don't want satellite service at home.

If I went with a pay as you go plan I would only pay for the months I use. I like that option instead of having to suspend service and restart it. There has to be so many days between suspending and restarting or else they will bill you full price. The cheapest plan is $19 a month for 40 channels and I could always add a couple fav channels for 5 bucks extra if needed.

The dish Tailgater is made for ease of use and only certain receivers will work with it. Is there more flexibility with a regular old dish that I have to point into the sky. I am all about convenience.
If you want a tailgater check this out-$199 includes tuner tailgater and shipping. It is a super deal. I stream video and it made me condider it but I stream video from my computer at no cable or satellite cost at home. I plan to set mine up when we go full time the same way.
http://www.getthetailgater.com/pages/New-Customer-Promotions.html

danemayer

If you want a tailgater check this out-$199 includes tuner tailgater and shipping. It is a super deal. I stream video and it made me condider it but I stream video from my computer at no cable or satellite cost at home. I plan to set mine up when we go full time the same way.
http://www.getthetailgater.com/pages...romotions.html

This offer sounds almost too good and I note that the website looks very basic. I would contact Dish to confirm that this is a legitimate offer from a reliable vendor.

wdk450

I have been a long time Dish user, taking my home receiver with me when I travel. I use a manual HD1000.2 dish antenna on a tripod, a legacy from before the Tailgaiter antenna was available, and before it is getting so inexpensive. This is the same as my home antenna, though, and gets the full Dish service (HD, SD and audio feeds) using 3 satellites with coax 1 feed wire. This plugs in to a cable to the entertainment center in the UDC via a frequency selective signal splitter, so that the Dish signal goes in and signals for the bedroom/storage compartment TV outlets comes out and is routed to that coax in the UDC. I have been doing this the 4 years I have owned the rig now.

When I talk to Dish on the phone, I avoid telling them I am in an RV. When I want to switch local spotbeams I just say "I want to set a new service address", and use the address of the RV park, or the closest physical address I can come up with. Sometimes on extended trips I DO NOT change my service address to keep my home sportschannel on my line-up (I like to watch my home baseball team). The local sportschannels are not carried on spotbeams, and are available nationwide. I use the VIP222K receiver - The similar VIP722K has DVR, which mine doesn't.

I did a search for "Dish Network RV" and liked this hit the best: http://www.installeroasis.com/mobile-rv-dishes It has a phone number for asking questions.

mobilcastle

This offer sounds almost too good and I note that the website looks very basic. I would contact Dish to confirm that this is a legitimate offer from a reliable vendor.
There is a RV.net poster that bought it-that is where I heard of it. I did not check it out-good idea to check it out.

DuaneG

I am still trying to decide. The cheaper version that was mentioned has a 2 year requirement for that deal..And they want my SSN and other bank info. No. Not interested in using a third party like that.

I think I can get the best deal for the pay as you go package if I buy my own equipment.

We have a cable/ internet bundle at home and don't want to switch companies for home use.

I will probably try the ir to rf adapter and see how that works.

Many of the places we visit have cable or at least over the air options. It just happens that the place we are at now has no cable or antenna reception and this feels like real camping. Can't have that now can we. My wife wants to play board games.

Garypowell

I waited a while to jump in as there are so many variables involved with what you do and how you do it. And I had planned to call DIRECTV one more time today to see if I could work some magic.

I bought a Winegard 1518 in December because of a good deal. I had stopped trying to use my DIRECTV on the road previously as I am a miserable pointer. But I decided to try again since the Winegard is automatic. I knew the Winegard was only low def system and was OK with that. I initially took the DVR and a D12 (fairly dumb but workable with the dish) with me on my last trip. For the first couple of stops I simply called and told them I was at a new address so I could get local channels.

When I stopped in Montgomery, AL I followed the same procedure but could not get local channels. One of the problems with my approach, and others use this too, is that it is a little hard to ask for technical help since they will find out what you are doing. And I knew from doing it a couple of times they can “flag” your account and stop doing it. But I was able to figure out the Montgomery only had high def locals….therefore I was out of luck.

Had this same problem a couple of more times and decided to get DNS (direct network services) so I applied and was approved. The only hitch with this is they will only set me up on a separate account. I tried again today and was told they would try (I said I knew people who were able to do this). Well they tried for about an hour and it finally came down to my local address is in a place where they have locals….so I have to have a separate account.

I know some have reported they have done this (combine accounts) but from my experience it seems they are either grandfathered in from when it was allowed or they don’t have local channels available where they live. The software they use now keeps them from putting DNS on a home account if locals are available.

I even discussed with them the possibility of making my service account address somewhere they don’t have local channels and while this might work….I would not be able to get Orlando stations when home.

And that is the major part of this problem for me…..I am not on the road full time but only about 4 – 6 months per year.
The other problem is trying to get a straight answer from the person on the phone. Some are very helpful and try….but others don’t or actually don’t understand their own rules.

The good news is that four times a year I can suspend my account such that it will not cost anything extra except for the DNS when I travel.

I guess the best advice I can give is call multiple times to insure how what you are trying to do will work. And do a mock up in your driveway or someplace simple before you start modifying your RV. Fortunately for me mine is a newer model and I have all the cable I need to do what I am doing.

lisntodd

The reason I was going to use the dish we currently have at home is because were are going to fulltime and will be out of the house.

So let me see if I have this right:

1. Get a heavy duty tripod from tv4rv.com http://tv4rv.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=13
2. Get a satellite finder (possible IPhone app?)
3. 2 100ft coax cables (I have HDDVR) I spoke to DTV and I can use my receiver to view on all 3 TVs. The bistro TV will have the same feed (channel) as the living room TV.

I have the Slimline 5 DTV dish. I'll try to use it, if I can't get it working I'll just run up to the dealer and get a winegard carryout auto dish. I'd rather not spend the money but if I have to then I will.

I'll have to read more on the actual connection of the Dish to the Fifth Wheel. My understanding is I'll run a coax cable from the Sat to the outside Sat connection on the fifth wheel?

comptonj

I use directv and am able to use a tripod slimline 5. I have a finder but have I have quit using it. Use the iternet to find the settings for your site (such as this site http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/Satellite-Heading-Calculator.htm ). Preset the dish to elevation and skew, hook up your receiver and go to satellite signal, use the 101 signal strength to focus in, get a partner on the phone and move the dish until you have the strongest signal, lock down on the mast and use the fine adjustments for elevation and direction. It works as well as a finder.

Theresau

Have to admit I haven't gone through all the replies. We have Directv and they set up a SWM satellite for us (we purchased a Winegard tripod) for the BH. They didn't charge us anything for the satellite, etc. - as I recall there was a small service call. (We store the satellite in the front storage area.) He put together the satellite for us and set up the power as well in the UDC for the satellite and hooked this up as appropriate to the Living and Bedroom.

The splitter had space so we added another cable and run that into the basement area. We have 3 receivers - all HD - 2 of these are from the house and the other is an extra that I have Directv turn on and then turn off.

We typicaly can get a signal within 5 mins...there have even been times we have had some trees in the way and so far that has not been an issue. (We learned some things along the way - we used to use a meter to get the signal but we learned that the meter will pick up Dish as well...and the meter has to be disconnected...that took us a while to figure out.:))

When we've been in FL, they've changed our receiving address so that we can get local channels. When we get home then we change it back. Directv has been very cooperative.

Hello everyone. We just purchased a 2012 Big Country 3690SL. We have not had the "tour" from the dealer yet, but I've been reading everything I could find on Satellite in RVs. We currently have DirecTV at our home and my *plan* is to get a tripod and take the dish/ 1 reciever from the house. We will still be in the local area, so we should still receive the local channels. Our rig is "dual satellite preped", whatever that means.

The rig has 3 TVs (1 in the living room, 1 in the bedroom, 1 in the outside bistro). My question is, how do I get satellite to all 3 TVs? Do I need to contact DirecTV and get a reciever for each TV? Do I run the coax cable from the dish to the "Cable" connection on the rig and have the 1 receiver connected to the living room TV? I guess I'm a little (or a lot) confused on the setting up the satellite. I plan on asking the service guy at the dealer during our walk through, but I thought I'd get some much needed knowledge from you guys/gals.

Thanks in advance!

Todd