New Solar and battery bank

Phatkd

So I pulled the trigger today on phase 1 of my new solar and power system.

Stage 1 will consist of 1 - 160watt solar panel. I already have 2 - 6v batteries which are in separate vented boxes and will be purchasing 2 new double 6v sealed and vented battery boxes and an additional 2 6v batteries.

Stage 2 may come next year, depending on how I find this system to preform, but will consist 1 or possibly 2 more 160watt solar panels.

Stage 3 will consist of a large inverter if needed, and possibly 2 more 6v batteries if I think I need them after 2 years of testing out the 4 - 6v batteries.

The cost of stage 1 will total $1855 plus tax.

They are also installing my Progressive industires EMS 50 at the same time, and taking care of some small warranty issues at the same time.

Work will be preformed at the end of the month, and I will upload more details and pics when it is done to hopefully assist others.

Cheers,..Kris

Phatkd

I don't know very much about batteries,..but the dealership installed 2 - 6volt "Pow-r-surge" batteries, and I anticipate they will be installing the same brand when they install the rest of the system.

Chumbly

So I pulled the trigger today on phase 1 of my new solar and power system.

Stage 1 will consist of 1 - 160watt solar panel...will be purchasing 2 new double 6v sealed and vented battery boxes and an additional 2 6v batteries.
The cost of stage 1 will total $1855 plus tax.
Seems a little steep,... no? I'm researching a system as well, but can't help but think, because of my research that the price of only these items is high.

ParkIt

It depends on what kind of system you want as to how much it will cost, I think Canada has a leg up on cost and products right now.
There are smaller sized solar panels that will grab more and convert it and you will need a converter from the batteries to the house with a switch in the main to move from shore power to battery. Its safer that way than wiring it into the main panel.
So far DH has found that deep cell's are better at retaining what you grab through solar though I'd have to ask (again) what system he's going to set up on our unit. He's getting his degree in Energy Management and we've played with all sorts of set ups for well over a decade, a 1500 watt panel can cost as little as $1600 with a small footprint and the prices are going to keep dropping as newer and better panels are hitting the market.

I'll try to get him to register and post but his attention span is "For solar you'd want..oh look! a Squirrel!" right now ;)

ParkIt

This would be a first - Canada having a leg up on costs and products. :)

Brian
There are some things that the Canadian government gets right but then again, many countries are way ahead of us in building, energy and food at a much lower cost. I still miss the days of getting 33 to 45 cents on the dollar for shopping, sorry about that but I did spend it there ;)

mdholmes

Hi,
Sorry to be so behind, but i have a couple of questions. 1st, Solar panels are for charging your batteries only at this point, correct? 2nd, would AGM batteries be a longer lasting solution, versus standard lead/acid batteries? 3rd, would two 12v batteries in series hold a longer charge than two 6v batteries in parallel? or would thy tend to last longer?

thanks, mark.