Hard wired surge protector on 2013 cyclone 3010

VAbow

After reviewing post on surge protection I want to install a hard wire one in my 3010. Anyone know where I should wire it up at? Is it where the power cord connects to the rv or at the fuse box end? Looking at a 50a version even though I sometime can only get 30a, will a 50a work for both.

P.s. Love this form, Thanks

scottyb

If you have a generator or generator prep, you will want to install it down line of the transfer switch, between the TS and the breaker box.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
When you go to install the surge suppressor, I would strongly suggest that you do not cut your existing cable to the shore power. Disconnect it from the TS and use some new conductor. You can use 4 seperate conductors or use a 4 conductor cable. Seperate conductor will always run cooler. If you cut your shore cable you can not make it any longer and if you made a mistake then you out of look.

Here is a wire table and I would suggest a #8 or a #6 would be better.

Wire Cable table.jpg

Hope this helps.

BC

Vtxkid

Art, I would recommend the Progressive EMS with remote and install it between the transfer switch and the breaker panel. You will need to remove your two basement wall panels behind the UDC to gain access to the area for EMS install. As mentioned, don't cut the existing wire between the TS and the breaker panel, go to HD and buy wiring mentioned in a previous post and install it between the EMS and the TS. The hardest part of this install is working with the wiring itself because of the thickness, it can be very difficult to work with. As far as the remote, I placed mine next to the basement door adjacent to the UDC for easy access as it is important to plug in to shore power when possible and know the status of the power going into your RV early in your setup. I have this EMS also and would be glad to help you if you would like to pm or call me. I will also say that this is one of the best additions that you will ever add to you 3010 as it will protect all you electrical appliances with peace of mine!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

VAbow

All, Thanks.

Jerry I may take you up on that offer. I will get all the stuff and then call ya. Thanks.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You should be able to get a cable that has three #6 stranded wires with a #12 solid ground. I think it's #12, been a while.
Stranded, in answer to your question.

Peace
Dave

VAbow

Given about six feet of a #6 cable with 4 strands (SO i think). The Progressive EMS with remote should be here this week. Will try and capture pics. THANKS ALL for the support.

oscar

There should be NO solid cable on a boat or an RV, period. The vibration will eventually cause it to fail.

VAbow

Went today and removed the pannels and the TS is right there. Now just need to get the EMS in the mail. I will use the strand cable I have for the connections. The cables going into the TS look like they are soild.

porthole

Retired
They will look and feel like solid, but it should be stranded.

Here are some pics of mine, also a 3010

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...ins?p=135047&highlight=progressive#post135047

If I were to install this again the only change I would do would be to mount the unit so access to the cover is a bit easier.

My EMS sacrificed itself this year and I had to replace the inner circuit board (lifetime warranty). Where it is mounted was a bit of a chore.

Last edited:

VAbow

Porthole, My cables look just like that too. I will take your advice and mount mine close to the access cover. Thanks for the heads up.

VAbow

Found the TS box. How do I know what wire set is going to the fuse box? two cables on one end and 1 on the other end? I would guess its the single side? I want to ensure I'm protected from both AC and gen.

scottyb

The side with one OUT goes to the breaker panel. The side with two IN are from shore and generator.

VAbow

If I connect after the TS it sounds like I'm not protecting the TS from a surge from shore power? Is this not a issue? Also what time delay for the air cond should I use?

scottyb

Not an issue. It's much more important for shore power but you want to protect your coach from generator power too.

porthole

Retired
If I connect after the TS it sounds like I'm not protecting the TS from a surge from shore power? Is this not a issue? Also what time delay for the air cond should I use?

That is the choice you have to make when you already have two inputs. Like Scot mentions, most of us with Genset's prefer to have the protection from either input. Genset's can fail too.

Unless, you want to buy a second EMS and install pre-transfer switch. The progressive EMS is so much more then just a mere surge protector, total protection is the key.

As to your AC, here are the guidelines.

If the AC power isinterrupted, or the EMS detects a fault condition, the built-in time delay is activated.
There are tow settings on the EMS: one is 136 seconds (02:16), and the other is 15 seconds.
Consult your air conditioner manual to see if it has a time delay built in.
If so, use the 15 second delay, if not; use the 136 second delay. The factory setting is 15 seconds.

Most of the newer RV AC units have a built in delay, so the EMS 15 second works fine. You just need to check your unit's specs.