New User Guide - Heating and Cooling Guide

danemayer

As part of our effort to create a library of User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides, I've just uploaded a new user guide to the User Guides subdirectory of the Manuals section of the forum. The Heating and Cooling Guide covers operation of the Thermostats, Air Conditioning, Heat Pump, and Furnace. The guide explains how they work, basic operation, tips for best results, routine maintenance, and simple troubleshooting.

Heating and Cooling Guide

jnv

I would like to thank all those involved in establishing these manuals. I can not even imagine how much work goes into this. Your efforts are greatly appreciated :).

Desertsky

Hi guys,

There is an addition to the heating section regarding propane pressure that you need to be aware of. Propane is not always the same from region to region. The amount of butane in the mix has a big affect on the temperature/pressure of the tank. Propane filled in areas at lower elevations will have lower pressures at lower temps and may not have enough pressure in the winter or at higher elevations. A lot of people have found this when filling at lower elevations and camping at higher elevations.

pegmikef

I would like to thank all those involved in establishing these manuals. I can not even imagine how much work goes into this. Your efforts are greatly appreciated :).

I certainly second this. These owner created guides have really helped me solve several problems such as fresh water tank overflowing when it was supposed to be empty, problems with my level up and slide hydraulics, an 120V electrical problem, etc. Frankly, I think I prefer these manuals over the factory manuals as they are written from the owner/user perspective and not an engineer/manufacturer perspective and they are easier to understand and frequently have more thorough explanations. Thanks to all who contribute to this effort.

danemayer

Hi guys,

There is an addition to the heating section regarding propane pressure that you need to be aware of. Propane is not always the same from region to region. The amount of butane in the mix has a big affect on the temperature/pressure of the tank. Propane filled in areas at lower elevations will have lower pressures at lower temps and may not have enough pressure in the winter or at higher elevations. A lot of people have found this when filling at lower elevations and camping at higher elevations.

We did have a discussion last winter about additives used at lower elevations that may negatively impact operation of the furnace (and probably the generator) above 7,000'. But based on posts on this forum, it doesn't seem like it's a common problem. Or maybe not a lot of people on this forum get their tanks filled at low altitude and use them at high altitude.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We did have a discussion last winter about additives used at lower elevations that may negatively impact operation of the furnace (and probably the generator) above 7,000'. But based on posts on this forum, it doesn't seem like it's a common problem. Or maybe not a lot of people on this forum get their tanks filled at low altitude and use them at high altitude.

Dan, we may have had this issue last winter, we traveled to Angel Fire (8400 ft) from Texas (1600 ft). We had three 30# tanks full (from Texas) when we arrived. When the first tank was getting low, we had some issues with "sputtering" by the furnace. It was as if there was not enough pressure, but the tank was not completely empty. We switched the tanks' location manually, thinking it was the pigtail or regulator on the door side causing the system to not change-over properly. We never had that exact problem again the rest of our stay or the rest of the winter back on Texas, but we also went ahead and switched out the pigtail. (Note, we only use propane for heating and running the fridge while traveling).

Maybe too many factors to point to a specific truth, but I think we'll consider filling up in higher elevations, rather than tote our propane from Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Version 1.1 has been posted and includes a section on Altitude Considerations.

Some owners have experienced problems with furnace operations at high altitude, where the furnace works correctly at lower altitudes. Propane suppliers in low altitude areas (less than 1,000 feet above sea level) may mix additives into the propane. While this can provide improved operation at lower altitudes, at higher altitudes (greater than 5,000 feet above sea level), it can lead to furnace failure, including intermittent lockouts and other symptoms.
If planning a cold weather trip to a location greater than 5,000 feet above sea level, filling tanks after arrival may provide for more reliable operation of the furnace.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Version 1.1 has been posted and includes a section on Altitude Considerations.

Sounds like a good update!

Thanks so much Dan, and others that contribute to the User Guides. These are invaluable at helping demystify rv systems and putting the solutions to common rv issues within our grasp.

donr827

We all owe Dan a big Thank you for not only for the manuals he and others have posted but also for the help he provides to questions on the forum.
Don

jbeletti

We all owe Dan a big Thank you for not only for the manuals he and others have posted but also for the help he provides to questions on the forum.
Don

Agreed! Thanks Dan Mayer for all you do as a volunteer in this community. You’re one of the reasons the Heartland Owners Forum is a bit more special than other RV forums.