Camping in West Texas

mowillie

We took our two boys, (ages 5 and 3) out to west Texas over spring break. We all had a great time camping in the MPG. It seems to get blown all over the road if it is windy. I assume it is becasue it is so light weight.

Attachments

• IMG_8424.jpg
    IMG_8424.jpg
    573.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_8432.jpg
    IMG_8432.jpg
    568.6 KB · Views: 89

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Nice pics. Hope the boys had fun.
There are a couple of things relating to your MPG being blown around. Tow vehicle and weather or not you are using an anti-sway device.
Also, if it's been as windy there as it has been on this side of Texas, anything will be blown around.
I like the night time pic.

Peace
Dave

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Wow, you found "THE" tree in West Texas ! Great photos, looks like fun.

Last edited:

mowillie

There are a couple of things relating to your MPG being blown around. Tow vehicle and weather or not you are using an anti-sway device.
Also, if it's been as windy there as it has been on this side of Texas, anything will be blown around.
I like the night time pic.

Peace
Dave

Okay,
The tow vehicle is a nissan armada, full size, V8 5.6L.
I have weight distribution and sway control. The wind was 20-25mph and probably gusts that exceeded that from time to time. For the most part it town just fine. I could see when the trees or grasses would lay down more due to wind that the trailer would sway.

pegmikef

Welcome to West Texas. We know wind (and we have a lot of wind farms around here). I have been trying to take my boat out for a week now, but we have been getting hammered with 15 to 30 mile an hour winds. The adage "March winds" is certainly true here. Where were you camped? Great pictures.

mowillie

We stayed at the Lost Alaskan in Alpine, Tx. which is really home to us. So we know about the March winds. Just havent done it with a TT.

bigmaho

Sway control helps, but I'm not sure if weight distribution does because I find I needed more tongue weight on my 181. The weight distribution lessens tongue weight by spreading the weight around. I added a 2nd marine battery up front and that helped a lot. I have a sway bar too. It's pretty stable now, but I have to watch my speed. Anything above 65-68 it can start getting hairy (for instance if I hit rough road on a curve).
I'm towing with a Jeep Liberty diesel which has a pretty short wheel base.