Installed LED Lights Above Stove in 3950HD

wiredawgchief

Fellow RVers, I installed two LED lights I purchased at Camping World. I used red and green 14ga wire, 2 LED lights, a 2.25" hole saw, and single mini rocker switch. I found 12VDC white-green/white wires running inside wall on the right side of the kitchen slide. I removed the 120VAC receptacle on the counter by stove and 120VAC receptacle above microwave that the microwave is plugged into. With the receptacles hanging, you can see the 12VDC white green/white pair of wires. I don't actually know what these wires feed. On the overhead panel above the stove, I marked 8" from either side and centered front to back. I drilled the holes with the 2.25" hole saw. I used a fish tape to pull two wires from the right hole to the electric to a hole in the slide ceiling above the 120VAC receptacle above the microwave. I pulled a red and green wire, spliced the red one to the black lead and the green wire to the white lead of the LED light. I pushed the wires into the hole and held the three springs of the light straight up as I pushed it in the hole. The springs flatten out and hold the LED light in place. Unfortunately, there is an aluminum frame supporting the ceiling of the slide that separates the two LED light holes. Since I could not fish two wires from one light fixture hole to the other, I fed the left hole to the back wall of the cabinet against the aluminum support and pulled two wires. I did not worry about surface mount wires on the back of the cabinet, so I ran them directly to the 120VAC receptacle hole. I repeated the steps to connect and mount the left LED light that I used for the right LED light. Now, I make the connections for the lights to the ground. I separated the white green/white wires and used a tap splice with a 5" piece of green wire to the white wire (ground). I then used a splice nut to tie the green lead from both lights to the green lead on the splice tap. I fed the fish tape down from the top 120VAC hole to the bottom 120VAC receptacle hole at the countertop and pulled one red wire through. I spliced the red wire from the top 120VAC receptacle to the two red wires from the lights with a splice nut. I notched about 1/8" wide and about 3/4" long on the top left corner of the top 120VAC receptacle to slide the wires from the lights into. I neatly tuck the wires into the 120VAC receptacle hole and remount the 120VAC receptacle and cover. Now, I knock on the wall that the lower 120VAC receptacle is on to find the furthest to the front of the slide wall to mount the light switch. I notch a hole in the wall with the razor utility knife. I run the fish tape from the notched hole to the 120VAC hole and pull a the red wire feeding from the lights and a green wire. I separate the white-green/white wires and use a splice tap on the white-green wire (battery) to the green wire. At the light switch notch, I install to slide connectors on the red and green wires and attach them to the switch. I push the wires through the hole and push the rocker switch in. Close up the bottom 120VAC receptacle and all is good. I used some small surface mount duct to slide the wires inside the cabinet above the microwave to dress up the wires. Next project, install wall light switch for living room lights. Have fun, Ron

Attachments

• rv 005 (640x478).jpg
    rv 005 (640x478).jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 209
  • rv 002 (640x478).jpg
    rv 002 (640x478).jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 212
  • rv 001 (640x478).jpg
    rv 001 (640x478).jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 225

wiredawgchief

My wife and I like a lot of light when we cook. I'm thinking about a some LED flood lights over the sink and prep area. Gotta research some that will hold up to moving when traveling. Ron

oscar

Our 4100 has a single light in that very location. Between that and the Microwave light I can see what I'm cooking.

wiredawgchief

Oscar, that location sure did need a light. I went online to show a friend the 3950 floor plan and it looks like Heartland did a complete change of it mid model year. Looks like the figures this out with more puck lights. Take care, Ron