Squash Casserole

BJ'sDad

Since a few people asked for the recipe of the squash casserole I made for the 07 East Coast Rally, here it is.
This was given to my mother by one of our old neighbors in upstate NY about 15 years ago.

2 to 2 1/4lbs (approx 6-7 cups) yellow squash and/or zucchini, sliced and diced into small pieces
1/4 Cup chopped onion
1-10oz can condensed Cream of Chicken or Mushroom soup
1 Cup sour cream
1 Cup shredded carrot
1-12 oz package of Stove Top Herb seasoned stuffing mix
1/2 Cup melted butter

Cook squash and onion in boiling salted water for approx 5 min or until the squash is becoming tender, set aside to drain well.
Combine soup, sour cream and carrots in large bowl.
Fold in drained squash
Combine stuffing mix with melted butter in stuffing canister or large bowl, mix well to distribute butter.

Sprinkle stuffing mix into 9x13 pan till bottom is covered. Spoon squash mixture on top, use a spatula to spread squash evenly. Sprinkle remaining stuffing mix on top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, check after 20-25 minutes to see if stuffing mix on top is becoming too browned (glass pans tend to take longer to bake than metal pans), depending on how much butter you use, the stuffing mix can become quite hard and crunchy if baked too long, or you can cover with aluminum foil.

This recipe gives latitude to personal tastes, I prefer Cream of Mushroom soup instead of the chicken. I also use 12 oz of stuffing mix instead of the original recipes 6 oz package as it give the casserole more of a "crust" and is more filling. I normally use a 50-50 mix of yellow squash and zucchini, but if you prefer one over the other, vary the recipe accordingly.

This is also great as a leftover (sometimes it's better warmed up in the microwave than it is fresh or so it seems), I normally dish it out into small plastic dishes, freeze then microwave on high for 3-4 minutes depending on amount in dish. Tastes great in the middle of winter when fresh produce is hard to come by.