Backup Camera on License Plate

CeeCee

We are looking to purchase a backup camera & was wondering if anyone has tried the one that bolts on the license plate?? Seems like this would be easier because you wouldn't have to screw anything into your RV. Being the license plate is off to the side I wonder if you would be able to see the whole road behind you?? We just started to look into them & would prefer wireless also. Your input would be appreciated. Thanks

Niles

If you do a search on the forum, you'll find a lot of advice on back up cameras. We have a wired unit on ours that I would do again in a heartbeat, it has a pigtail to hook up to the truck. Running the wire from the back to the front wasn't bad till I got to the hitch, then it became a pain. The wireless camera is easier for sure, just not as good a picture, unless they have improved a lot. Do some research before investing in something that will be used for many years to come. That's also why we went with the hard wired model less problems in the long run.

brianharrison

The wireless back up cameras that bolt to license plates are sometimes of lessor quality that do not perform well on longer trailers/coaches due to interference/distance from the camera to receiver. Lots have complained about signal drop or poor quality.

Jensen makes digital wireless camera systems that are made for the longer coaches (greater signal strength). I installed their Voyager WVOS511 system on my Landmark (37.5 ft) and am very happy with the performance.

Here is their web page.

Hope this helps.
Brian

Phatkd

The wireless back up cameras that bolt to license plates are sometimes of lessor quality that do not perform well on longer trailers/coaches due to interference/distance from the camera to receiver. Lots have complained about signal drop or poor quality.

Jensen makes digital wireless camera systems that are made for the longer coaches (greater signal strength). I installed their Voyager WVOS511 system on my Landmark (37.5 ft) and am very happy with the performance.

Here is their web page.

Hope this helps.
Brian

Thanks for the link Brian. That is the same unit I have been thinking about getting. No issues with it? Where did you end up mounting it?

Thanks

jbeletti

CeeCee,

I have read often that the license plate camera are not a good choice for RVs. I think the transmit power may be too low to reach the receiver up in the truck. Now, that same system on the back of a car or a truck is probably fine.

I agree with Brian's suggestion and that's the same product Heartland offers now. I have had very good luck with it. If I leave it on while driving at highway speeds, a few times an hour, the connection will drop momentarily. Has not been a problem for me though.

I usually only use it for backing into sites and into my RV garage. Good stuff.

Now - if you already have a monitor in the cab that has the ability to accept a composite video signal, you can get a receiver instead of an LCD Monitor/Receiver and connect the receiver into your own monitor. Doubt it's less cost but it could be one less monitor for some.

scottyb

Has anyone explored connecting a camera to the truck's existing backup camera? I recently watched a guy as he was replacing my tailgate after installing spray-in bedliner, and the camera just plugs in to a wiring harness under the back of the truck. I'm trying to figure out why you couldn't use an identical camera on back of the coach and tap into the same wiring harness. There must be a reason because that would be too simple.

CeeCee

Jim,
Thanks for the info. I will pass it on to my husband. Our truck does have a camera in the tailgate & the monitor is in the rear view mirror. Would that work as the monitor??

CeeCee,

I have read often that the license plate camera are not a good choice for RVs. I think the transmit power may be too low to reach the receiver up in the truck. Now, that same system on the back of a car or a truck is probably fine.

I agree with Brian's suggestion and that's the same product Heartland offers now. I have had very good luck with it. If I leave it on while driving at highway speeds, a few times an hour, the connection will drop momentarily. Has not been a problem for me though.

I usually only use it for backing into sites and into my RV garage. Good stuff.

Now - if you already have a monitor in the cab that has the ability to accept a composite video signal, you can get a receiver instead of an LCD Monitor/Receiver and connect the receiver into your own monitor. Doubt it's less cost but it could be one less monitor for some.

dave10a

Dave,
Thanks for the info. We'll check it out. Do you have that one on your Ford?

No-- my truck has the factory installed camera. I am considering this camera for my Magellan GPS for the trailer. Its specs look good and the price is right. I would either have to run a long cable to hardwire it or use a good quality wireless transmitter/reciever capable of video.

brianharrison

Thanks for the link Brian. That is the same unit I have been thinking about getting. No issues with it? Where did you end up mounting it?

Thanks

No issues. I mounted it above the rear window. Drilled hole in fiberglass rear cap (hardest part) and routed power to middle upper clearance light.

Brian

Attachments

• DSC03850.jpg
    DSC03850.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 57