Warranties??

We looked at our new 5er (3570RS) and had the PDI yesterday (LOVE it!). We sold the house Thursday after only 2weeks, have to be out April 30 (about 4 months earlier than expected) soour minds are overwhelmed and trying to search for answers right now is beyondthe capabilities on the 2 brain cells I have left.

After the PDI we were hit with all of the warranties. I'mnot a big believer in warranties but wanted opinions. I'd rather put themoney back and use it if needed but since we haven't camped in 20 years andhave such a complicated unit I could be way off base. Comments??? Please help me learn from your experiences.
a) Basic 5 year comprehensive service agreement for $1960
b) 5 year tire and wheel protectios for $399
c) Paint sealant for $1495. This is supposed toeliminating waxing for 5 years (inside fabric protection too). I wouldLOVE to eliminate waxing but don't believe the dealer has something thisincredible that we can't get and do ourselves.

Any and all input appreciated. Anyone have any extra boxes forstorage ;-)

lwmcguir

The tire/wheel plan may actually be worth it if it really covers as it should. The rest is just you paying ahead for service.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Read the fine print on the warranty coverages. What is the comprehensive service agreement? Is that some kind of arrangement with the selling dealer to cover repairs for 5 years or just an aftermarket extended warranty? If you're interested in extended warranties, call Good Sam and get a quote, as well. I don't know what the $1500 paint sealant deal is, but for $300 a year, you could hire some young fella to wax the rig for you.

Although "escrowing" repair/replacement funds sounds good, what usually happens is that something else comes along that sucks the funds out. On the other hand, our 5 year extended warranty expires this October and we've never had to use it. So the bottom line is what gives you peace of mind and how good is your financial discipline.

danemayer

Hi scorekeeper,

Before buying an "extended warranty" you must read the details of coverage to see what's included, and also the details of what's excluded. Most are primarily designed to cover appliance failures. That's ok - appliances can be expensive - but make sure you understand what is covered and what is not. It's quite common to think everything is covered and then to be disappointed. "Comprehensive" has no meaning by itself. Look at the policy wording.

Also pay attention to the deductibles. A $500 deductible will reduce the up front cost. But when there's a repair, you may often find that you haven't met the deductible.

Finally, make sure you understand who stands behind a 3rd party contract. If the 3rd party goes out of business, your money is gone. The dealer may perform the service, but they're unlikely to help out on reimbursements if you run into trouble.

Speedy

The other thing to keep in mind is that you may no be anywhere near the dealer when you need the service. Take the money you want to spend on the extended warranties and place it in savings account for when you really need it.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Don't give you hard earned money away, entended warranties are basically a money maker for the dealer! Take half of the amount and buy quality tires for your rig. One word...Ripoff.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Scorekeeper, Read the fine print very carefully. There's usually always something that might cause you to be disappointed later. The Tire warranty, if available separately, sounds good. Make sure it's usable nation wide.
If your front and rear caps are Gel Coated and not painted, UV damage from the sun can cause them to oxidize over time and it's extremely difficult to bring back to their original luster. If $1495 will guarantee that, it might be worth it. Keep in mind, you may not keep the rig that long. You might find a Landmark you like in a year or two.;)

jimtoo

You might want to check the fine print real close. A lot of the extended warranties for the paint require that you bring it back to dealer each year for "Check Over and Cleaning", or something to that effect, which cost you some more money.