Works great no yelling!!

firstone

I just bought my first RV, and from experience just backing the bass boat in the garage and other item I knew communication was the key to an easy parking job. I rememberd I had a set of two way radios in the closet that haven't seen day light in 10 years. When we went to squeeze the rv between the house and a tree near by I gave a radio to the wife and had her talk me back. My radio was sitting on the dash and boy was that a sweet deal.

Worked great and no yelling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I agree! Verbal directions are much better than looking for hand signals in the mirror.
The high tech update to your story is the new vehicles that connect cell phones to the radio with Bluetooth. The person in back just pulls out their phone and calls the driver.

Lynn1130

We use both of the above. Works great. The radios are especially handy in dry camp areas where there is no cell coverage.

Speedy

We use the radios and yell. Seems to work because the more I yell the more she gets mad and then tells me to get out and let her do it. I then just sit back and watch.

DuaneG

At least I am not alone. The parking is the best part of the trip. Yelling or not we are communicating. :)

Lynn1130

Speedy, I call that the "Please don't throw me in that briar patch" trick from the Uncle Remus stories.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
We use our cell phones. My wife calls me on my cell phone, which is connected to my Ford factory installed hands free. This allows me to talk and respond while still having both hands free and not having to either maneuver and negotiate one handed, or to have to put the two way radio down.

FiremanBill

Same here. We use our phones, typically it's my son who works with me on the backing part. He'll call me and I have my phone plugged into the truck radio so it comes across the speakers and I am free to keep my hands on the wheel.

Still gotta watch those mirrors and hand signals as well just in case. Being with the USAF for 31 years now in the Fire Dept we have to marshall aircraft during emergency situations so having a good set of hand signals is crucial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_marshalling

Not all these apply to backing up an RV but a lot of them are very useful.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The best entertainment in the RV Park is sitting outside watching other RVers get settled in their sites. It is amazing how upset people get with each other and how loud they get. Sometimes I just have to go inside I laugh so hard.:)

firstone

My truck does that by I refuse to talk to the wife on the phone. LOL Actually I didn't even think of that thanks....

I agree! Verbal directions are much better than looking for hand signals in the mirror.
The high tech update to your story is the new vehicles that connect cell phones to the radio with Bluetooth. The person in back just pulls out their phone and calls the driver.

JanAndBill

We use little hand held walkie talkies. That way we can smile and still say some not so nice things to the other without the whole park hearing :cool: My significant other still doesn't fully understand the concept of "If you can't see me in the mirrors - I can't see you"!!!!

DuaneG

That's so funny because the time before this trip a man came out and moved his chair so he could watch us argue while backing up.

Personally I just go inside instead of staring at others. It felt like we were in a Zoo and we were the animals.

Kbvols

The best entertainment in the RV Park is sitting outside watching other RVers get settled in their sites. It is amazing how upset people get with each other and how loud they get. Sometimes I just have to go inside I laugh so hard.:)

LOL...I am with you!! Dump Stations are another source of entertainment.

VKTalley

Same here. We use our phones, typically it's my son who works with me on the backing part. He'll call me and I have my phone plugged into the truck radio so it comes across the speakers and I am free to keep my hands on the wheel.

Still gotta watch those mirrors and hand signals as well just in case. Being with the USAF for 31 years now in the Fire Dept we have to marshall aircraft during emergency situations so having a good set of hand signals is crucial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_marshalling

Not all these apply to backing up an RV but a lot of them are very useful.

Those are some great hand signals, Bill! Interestingly enough, I instinctively was already using some of them when I help Malcolm (MCT) back our rig into a spot and I do remember to stay within sight of his mirrors. But those are some great things to be reminded of as we (the outside helpers) are doing our job.

Kbvols

My wife has me trained. No yelling and she'll have me a nice cold beer ready when we're all settled. Yelling usually results in me fetching my own beer. Excessive yelling leads to those special hand gestures.

rick_debbie_gallant

I wonder if anyone is using their iPhones and iPads with face time. Seems like that could work , or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2