PDA

View Full Version : Works great no yelling!!

firstone
03-18-2013, 12:01 AM
I just bought my first RV, and from experience just backing the bass boat in the garage and other item I knew communication was the key to an easy parking job. I rememberd I had a set of two way radios in the closet that haven't seen day light in 10 years. When we went to squeeze the rv between the house and a tree near by I gave a radio to the wife and had her talk me back. My radio was sitting on the dash and boy was that a sweet deal.

Worked great and no yelling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NWILSON
03-18-2013, 03:36 AM
I agree! Verbal directions are much better than looking for hand signals in the mirror.
The high tech update to your story is the new vehicles that connect cell phones to the radio with Bluetooth. The person in back just pulls out their phone and calls the driver.

Lynn1130
03-18-2013, 08:39 AM
We use both of the above. Works great. The radios are especially handy in dry camp areas where there is no cell coverage.

Speedy
03-18-2013, 10:29 AM
We use the radios and yell. Seems to work because the more I yell the more she gets mad and then tells me to get out and let her do it. I then just sit back and watch.

DuaneG
03-18-2013, 10:55 AM
At least I am not alone. The parking is the best part of the trip. Yelling or not we are communicating. :)

Lynn1130
03-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Speedy, I call that the "Please don't throw me in that briar patch" trick from the Uncle Remus stories.

For20hunter
03-18-2013, 11:50 AM
We use our cell phones. My wife calls me on my cell phone, which is connected to my Ford factory installed hands free. This allows me to talk and respond while still having both hands free and not having to either maneuver and negotiate one handed, or to have to put the two way radio down.

FiremanBill
03-18-2013, 12:20 PM
Same here. We use our phones, typically it's my son who works with me on the backing part. He'll call me and I have my phone plugged into the truck radio so it comes across the speakers and I am free to keep my hands on the wheel.

Still gotta watch those mirrors and hand signals as well just in case. Being with the USAF for 31 years now in the Fire Dept we have to marshall aircraft during emergency situations so having a good set of hand signals is crucial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_marshalling

Not all these apply to backing up an RV but a lot of them are very useful.

jmgratz
03-18-2013, 12:34 PM
The best entertainment in the RV Park is sitting outside watching other RVers get settled in their sites. It is amazing how upset people get with each other and how loud they get. Sometimes I just have to go inside I laugh so hard.:)

firstone
03-18-2013, 01:13 PM
My truck does that by I refuse to talk to the wife on the phone. LOL Actually I didn't even think of that thanks....

I agree! Verbal directions are much better than looking for hand signals in the mirror.
The high tech update to your story is the new vehicles that connect cell phones to the radio with Bluetooth. The person in back just pulls out their phone and calls the driver.

JanAndBill
03-18-2013, 01:17 PM
We use little hand held walkie talkies. That way we can smile and still say some not so nice things to the other without the whole park hearing :cool: My significant other still doesn't fully understand the concept of "If you can't see me in the mirrors - I can't see you"!!!!

DuaneG
03-18-2013, 03:43 PM
That's so funny because the time before this trip a man came out and moved his chair so he could watch us argue while backing up.

Personally I just go inside instead of staring at others. It felt like we were in a Zoo and we were the animals.

Sumo
03-18-2013, 04:54 PM
Still gotta watch those mirrors and hand signals as well just in case. ........having a good set of hand signals is crucial.

My wife has a few hand signals.

JanAndBill
03-18-2013, 05:05 PM

Unfortunately mine does too!!

FiremanBill
03-18-2013, 07:52 PM

LOL, ya gotta be careful with some of those eh?!

Kbvols
03-18-2013, 08:22 PM
The best entertainment in the RV Park is sitting outside watching other RVers get settled in their sites. It is amazing how upset people get with each other and how loud they get. Sometimes I just have to go inside I laugh so hard.:)

LOL...I am with you!! Dump Stations are another source of entertainment.

FiremanBill
03-18-2013, 08:25 PM
LOL...I am with you!! Dump Stations are another source of entertainment.

Indeed! I have been that source of entertainment there.:o

VKTalley
03-18-2013, 08:25 PM
Same here. We use our phones, typically it's my son who works with me on the backing part. He'll call me and I have my phone plugged into the truck radio so it comes across the speakers and I am free to keep my hands on the wheel.

Still gotta watch those mirrors and hand signals as well just in case. Being with the USAF for 31 years now in the Fire Dept we have to marshall aircraft during emergency situations so having a good set of hand signals is crucial.

Those are some great hand signals, Bill! Interestingly enough, I instinctively was already using some of them when I help Malcolm (MCT) back our rig into a spot and I do remember to stay within sight of his mirrors. But those are some great things to be reminded of as we (the outside helpers) are doing our job.

Kbvols
03-18-2013, 09:22 PM
My wife has me trained. No yelling and she'll have me a nice cold beer ready when we're all settled. Yelling usually results in me fetching my own beer. Excessive yelling leads to those special hand gestures.

rick_debbie_gallant
03-20-2013, 11:26 PM
I wonder if anyone is using their iPhones and iPads with face time. Seems like that could work , or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

TXTiger
03-21-2013, 09:45 AM
I am single and travel alone. This thread is so funny. I have to get a back up camera soon!

TravelTiger
03-21-2013, 10:14 AM
We live at the beginning a cul-de-sac circle in a suburban neighborhood. Our HOA rules do not allow trailers parked on your property, so we store ours elsewhere. However, the HOA has never fussed when we have it home for work or loading.

We decided to put it in our driveway for a lengthy project (instead of leaving it on the street). The driveway has a slight angle but is plenty long for the coach and two cars. The fun part is getting it there... Threading the needle between our brick mailbox, the curb, a shrub, and not going over the curb opposite the house, all while trying not to block the street and our 4 other neighbors from their only access to/from their homes. ;)

The first time, we tried for about 45 min and gave up. The second took an hour. That was over a year ago. It still takes a few attempts to get the starting angle just right but we can do it in about 15-20 min now. We use our iphones with connected headphones/speaker, so we can hear each other clearly and use both hands freely.

I'm sure it is quite a show for our neighbors every time. :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sengli
03-21-2013, 04:36 PM
We use the little radio's as well. Its been a life saver. She is my eyes back behind the coach.

Eddhuy
03-21-2013, 04:41 PM
The idea finally sunk in after putting a hole in the roof. 5er was new to me and the height of a trailer was never a concern. Well a new roof later and I got some radios as well.

VKTalley
03-21-2013, 04:47 PM
TravelTiger, You should ask Malcolm (MCT) about putting our Big Country in our home driveway. That was an interesting feat...let's just say, it was the one and only time it was in that driveway. Our HOA does not like you having your rigs parked on your property, except for loading and unloading from a trip (24-48 hours). They have to be stored off site.

JanAndBill
03-21-2013, 05:03 PM
"I wonder if anyone is using their iPhones and iPads with face time"

In our case being able to see the other's face clearly would not be good. I'm afraid it would rapidly lead to yelling!

Sumo
03-21-2013, 05:53 PM

In our case being able to see the other's face clearly would not be good. I'm afraid it would rapidly lead to yelling!

Of this I am sure.

Our home storage is off the ally behind the house. We do best when my wife keeps me from hitting the garage on the left side of the 5th wheel. Her job is to yell really loudly into the phone "STOP" before I hit the garage or fence. It only takes me 10 mins to make the 90 degree angle and park.

Now if I could get her to get me a cold beer after we've finished.

Kbvols
03-21-2013, 08:44 PM
Of this I am sure.

Our home storage is off the ally behind the house. We do best when my wife keeps me from hitting the garage on the left side of the 5th wheel. Her job is to yell really loudly into the phone "STOP" before I hit the garage or fence. It only takes me 10 mins to make the 90 degree angle and park.

Now if I could get her to get me a cold beer after we've finished.

Sumo...you just have to work it out with her no yelling she fetches a cold one....everybody..happy,happy,happy

Sumo
03-21-2013, 09:16 PM
LOL, I'll run that one by her next time we put it away.

NittyGritty
04-09-2013, 04:04 PM
[QUOTE=rick_debbie_gallant;295839]I wonder if anyone is using their iPhones and iPads with face time. Seems like that could work , or not

Omg! I was looking through the forums seen this topic it made laugh so I had to see what everyone says. Before I started reading I asked my husband about FaceTime he said you use to have to have wifi to run it, so this would be a great idea I think! If you have wifi before parking! Love the topic must finish reading!

rick_debbie_gallant
04-09-2013, 04:10 PM

Not supposed to look at the face. use the other lens of the camera so the other person can see what is behind them. Come on wrap your head around it.

Gary521
04-09-2013, 09:46 PM
We have found a great system. My wife drives and I direct but from in front of the truck. I can see the angles that way and tell her which way to turn the wheel to back the trailer. Just use hand signals. Works perfectly. She recognizes that I can tell angles better than she can. If I point to the right she turns to the right. This turns the back to the left and vice versa. No more lost vocal chords.

Lynn1130
04-10-2013, 04:37 PM
Won't work well where you have something behind the trailer. At some point you make contact with that object if not careful and are not where you can judge that distance. I back into a storage stall that has a trailer in the stall behind me. You can't see that trailer from the front of the truck while backing in.

rick_debbie_gallant
04-10-2013, 04:50 PM
Won't work well where you have something behind the trailer. At some point you make contact with that object if not careful and are not where you can judge that distance. I back into a storage stall that has a trailer in the stall behind me. You can't see that trailer from the front of the truck while backing in.

In that case chock blocks placed where the trailer needs to stop or a traffic cone. Or...

Sumo
04-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Sumo...you just have to work it out with her no yelling she fetches a cold one....everybody..happy,happy,happy

Kbvols, Took the 5th wheel out this last weekend. Back into our parking spot first time, no yelling. But I forgot to ask for my beer. LOL. Next time.

JanAndBill
04-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Not supposed to look at the face. use the other lens of the camera so the other person can see what is behind them. Come on wrap your head around it.

You don't know my wife. She wouldn't be able to resist giving me one of those "looks".

Kbvols
04-10-2013, 07:04 PM
Kbvols, Took the 5th wheel out this last weekend. Back into our parking spot first time, no yelling. But I forgot to ask for my beer. LOL. Next time.

LOL...can't forget a guy works up a powerful thirst after demonstrating superior backing skills.

It also helps to start "laying some pipe" when your getting close to the CG...a lot of chatter about how good an ice cold beer will be...then after you register en-route to site it's full court press how good that cold beer will be ...then after the awesome display of backing skills ....the stage is set.....after a while its automatic an ice cold beer awaits the driver...It's the Pavlov's dog theory in reverse!! Hummmm or is she out smarting me???

Lynn1130
04-10-2013, 07:41 PM
In that case chock blocks placed where the trailer needs to stop or a traffic cone. Or...

Nope, wife at the back of the trailer with either the radio or the cell.

Sumo
04-10-2013, 07:55 PM
It's the Pavlov's dog theory in reverse!! Hummmm or is she out smarting me???

I know which side I'm on, woof.

lizjj
04-24-2013, 10:48 PM
We installed a wireless backup camera to stop any arguing. It works well. We have a 2013 Cyclone 3800 Toy hauler w/ a patio. Our rig is 38'.

gwrider2up
06-03-2013, 01:55 AM
Hi everyone! I use the cell phone which ties into the Ford F350 Sync so he can hear me thru the radio.

Cheryl & Bill Smith
Delray Beach Fl
Cyclone 4100 King

sc_surveyor
06-23-2013, 09:38 AM
lizjj, What type of backup camera did you get?

desertden
07-05-2013, 03:02 PM
When I am backing our 5th wheel into a site or onto the RV pad beside our home, my wife stands in front of the truck on the blind side so she can see any obstacles that I can't and I can see her so that if she signals me to stop, I do so immediately. Once the rig is lined up and going straight back, she moves to the back, off to the side so I can see her in the side rearview mirror so when she signals me to stop, I stop. Piece of cake, no radios or cameras required. Then we both get a nice cold beer!

pegmikef
07-05-2013, 04:42 PM
Hi everyone! I use the cell phone which ties into the Ford F350 Sync so he can hear me thru the radio.

Cheryl & Bill Smith
Delray Beach Fl
Cyclone 4100 King

Thanks, that's a great idea because I have just figured out how to sync my phone with the truck (I have never had a truck that talks to you before, so I am still trying to figure it out).

JMVford
07-10-2013, 11:52 PM
Walkie Talkies! So easy.

Landmark50
07-11-2013, 12:35 AM
Yes walkie-talkies are great however I'm still working on the concept of pushing the button before she talks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cavo

wyleyrabbit
07-11-2013, 03:10 PM
One bit of caution with 2-way FRS radios.

As I understand it, the way most of them work with their channels and privacy channels is that if someone else is using the channel, your transmission won't go through...but you won't hear that they're on the channel. As an example, let's say you use channel 3-15, and someone else in the campground uses 3-09. If they're talking on the channel...you won't hear them but you won't be able to hear your DW shouting to "stop or you're going to hit the tree" either. Be careful with these.

We tried it, but had the above almost happen. I didn't think she was saying anything, but she was screaming in to the walkie but I heard nothing.

We gave up on those, and simply roll down the windows. And sometimes, I get out and look! :-)

Chris

Jim.Allison
07-20-2013, 12:53 AM
Hi all. I'm so glad to be a member of this forum, Amy and I are in the process of purchasing our Heartland Big Country 3650RL. Today I was at Costco and noticed a nice pair of walkies. The thought crossed my mind that they would solve the very problem you guys outlined above. Then I wondered if perhaps they had a voice activated headset, bluetooth perhaps. But like you guys have already suggested cell phones work the best unless you are in the boondocks.--lol I hope I did not post twice. I already posted but it disappeared......oops!

jimtoo
07-20-2013, 01:06 AM
Hi Jim,Allison,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

When you go for your PDI, please do a very through and complete inspection.. top to bottom .. front to back. Check water and drains.. make sure you can operate every thing and every thing operates. Even try to camp at the dealership or close by to try everything out for a day or so.

If you need help with anything, the Heartland family is here.

Jim M

Compfixerdude
07-20-2013, 04:32 AM
I love this thread. We use the "hand gestures" mostly. Still trying to get the wife to understand the if you can't see me, I can't see you thing. Our seven year old is a really big help as well. As far as the beer goes, it never occurred to me. Now I'm going to ask and pray that it goes well. LOL

Duramax1
07-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Hi all. I'm so glad to be a member of this forum, Amy and I are in the process of purchasing our Heartland Big Country 3650RL. Today I was at Costco and noticed a nice pair of walkies. The thought crossed my mind that they would solve the very problem you guys outlined above. Then I wondered if perhaps they had a voice activated headset, bluetooth perhaps. But like you guys have already suggested cell phones work the best unless you are in the boondocks.--lol I hope I did not post twice. I already posted but it disappeared......oops!

Most radio phones have a voice activated feature.... this is activated by selecting the VOX setting.

Redtrk
07-29-2013, 02:34 PM
I love this thread. We use the "hand gestures" mostly. Still trying to get the wife to understand the if you can't see me, I can't see you thing. LOL
Mine has her own hand gestures which leaves me clueless. Most of the time she is 3 seconds too late. Errrr!!!!

Jim.Allison
07-29-2013, 06:06 PM
Jim
Thanks for responding. That is good advice. It would be good to shake it down before hitting the road.

Jim

psherman1
08-01-2013, 09:44 AM
As funny as it is, the RV (2009 21FBS Northtrail) is my toy! My husband and I use hand singals, like the Navy uses onbaord the aircraft carriers. No screaming, yelling or anything! However, just to be clear, if I can't see my husband out of one of the mirrors, I STOP! Don't care about other traffic coming through the loop etc..I STOP! He then remembers as gets back where we see each other.
Just our way!
Patricia

dbylinski
08-02-2013, 06:07 AM
As funny as it is, the RV (2009 21FBS Northtrail) is my toy! My husband and I use hand singals, like the Navy uses onbaord the aircraft carriers. No screaming, yelling or anything! However, just to be clear, if I can't see my husband out of one of the mirrors, I STOP! Don't care about other traffic coming through the loop etc..I STOP! He then remembers as gets back where we see each other.
Just our way!
Patricia

Patricia there is nothing funny about the rig being your toy! Kudo's! I love to hear these stories and although I don't drive on a regular basis, I know I can hookup and get it home if I have to.

MonsterRide
08-03-2013, 11:06 AM
I wonder if backing up sometimes can be over-thought? When backing into tight or difficult places I get flustered when I'm getting all sorts of hand signals. I don't feel like I need anyone to help me manage my steering wheel. The last time I backed into a spot I asked my wife to stand on the outside of the turn and give me only two signals: the first was to widen her hands to tell me how far away I am from hitting any object, the second was to tell me to STOP. I have full view of my inside angle so I don't need any help there. The third signal is once I'm straightened out to tell me when to stop backing for placement. Is there anything more to it than that?

JohnDar
08-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Getting backed into our seasonal site is tricky due to trees and lack of open space. But Don, the CG owner comes along and stands alongside my truck, telling me which way and how far to move. He's a pro at it. Once I'm in a position where the TV and rig are lined up, final positioning is simple. The wife stays at the rear of the rig just to watch for the trees that will be directly behind us once we're set.

TXBobcat
08-03-2013, 01:37 PM
We have found a great system. My wife drives and I direct but from in front of the truck. I can see the angles that way and tell her which way to turn the wheel to back the trailer. Just use hand signals. Works perfectly. She recognizes that I can tell angles better than she can. If I point to the right she turns to the right. This turns the back to the left and vice versa. No more lost vocal chords.

In 2006 Pat & I took Dick Reed's driving school. I believe it is owned by someone else now so it is now called RV Driving School (http://www.rvschool.com/rvschool/Home.html). Jerry was our instructor. One of the things he taught us was what Gary posted. First check all areas around the site you are backing into.

If you have something in the way, such as an object at the back of the site you place a limit marker. An orange cone, a post to block the wheel or such. Stand beside or in front of the TV and give directions. The driver only watches the guide. If the guide says turn right then the driver turns the steering wheel right as normal. (note the right for the guide is the left for the driver. Same as using the bottom of the steering wheel as suggested by others.).

I agree that you will not see what is in back when doing this but you have to check the back area and make adjustments before hand. What it does allow you to do is see the roof and both sides not just the back and one side.

One other thing that was strongly stressed was "GO SLOW".

Is this for everyone, no, but it is a good way to back your rig.

FWIW
BC

duane224
09-17-2013, 09:43 PM
My wife disappears behind the trailer where I can't see her and she can't direct me into a Wal-Mart parking lot. She yells and tells me where I need to be... she has no patients. She over directs me and don't realize it takes time to correct my approach. Now I make her stand where I can see her. (I should've left her behind the trailer:rolleyes:). I have to tell her where to stand or I make it to the campground before she gets there and have no problem.

TheLindsays
10-14-2013, 08:03 PM
This thread is so funny hearing everyone's stories.... I like watching people park & unhook or hook up also... and yes the dump station is fun too... I am sure we have been laughed at too... Yeah Patricia.... We share... well sort of... I (Julie) pretty much all the road driving and George parks because he is better than me at it and I am of course best at giving directions..lol.. we use our cell phones... I call him... his phone connects to our Ford Sync so I come in loud and clear over the radio... of course we seem to talk loud at times... possibly sounds like bouts of yelling... so the neighbors are entertained at times.. but we do pretty good together parking and setting up etc.. we each have our duties.. and to date we have made it a whole year without taking out any trees, plants, tables, other campers trucks, trailers or other personal items.... yet... :)

JohnD
10-19-2013, 08:41 AM
My wife also gets frustrated while I'm parking the trailer . . .

Not so much at campsites, but when I am parking it in our side yard (photo later)!

I've been hauling and backing camper trailers since I was 12 years old (now 53), but I have to squeeze the back end of the trailer between our garage and side yard fence, which is where I generally need a little assistance.

I've parked it and our old trailer in there many many times by myself . . . but that last 10 feet can be much quicker with someone giving directions.

We have a set of Uniden 2-way radios, but she never waits that one second after pushing the talk button and starts talking right away, which means I only get half of what she is telling me.

I've told (asked :o ) her about this . . . and even mentioned to just hold the button down the whole time I am backing up . . . to no avail.

Needless to say . . . I still end up getting out and checking my angles several times!

The other issue . . . getting her to agree to move those two rose bushes that are basically in the way! :p

whp4262
10-19-2013, 10:15 AM
My wife and I pulled into a State park a couple weeks ago after dark. The trees hadn't been trimmed in a while and they had rocks along side an already narrow road to keep people from parking off the pavement. So I handed my wife a good flashlight and asked her to shine it on the side of side of the trailer so I could see it in the dark. Well it started out pretty good until she started giving directions. Every time she said something she would turn towards the truck and shine the flashlight right into the mirrors. Well it only took a couple times of getting the spotlight shined into my eyes before I was so blinded by the light that I couldn't see the dash let alone anything in the mirrors. Finally stopped the truck and walked around for a minute till the spots disappeared from my eyesight. I finally got it parked but decided right then that I'm going to buy and install a good backup camera system so I can see both sides and the back of the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

whp4262
10-19-2013, 10:55 AM
JohnD, we have these two big cactus plants by one of our porches. Now I'm not a big fan of cactus and wanted to remove them but my wife wanted to keep them. Finally she agreed to let me trim them which I did one day with the backhoe while she was gone. She was only mad at me for a little while. Might work for you rose bushes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

JanAndBill
10-19-2013, 11:17 AM
My wife disappears behind the trailer where I can't see her and she can't direct me into a Wal-Mart parking lot. She yells and tells me where I need to be... she has no patients. She over directs me and don't realize it takes time to correct my approach. Now I make her stand where I can see her. (I should've left her behind the trailer:rolleyes:). I have to tell her where to stand or I make it to the campground before she gets there and have no problem.

I had this problem also. I would tell my DW that if she can't see me in the mirrors then I couldn't see her. Finally learned that if she disappeared from the mirrors, I would put the truck in park, lean back and wait patiently. After awhile of not moving she would move out to see what was wrong and I would start backing again. Now she pretty much knows that if the trailer isn't moving it's because I can't see her. Problem solved, no yelling.

JohnD
10-20-2013, 05:16 PM
JohnD, we have these two big cactus plants by one of our porches. Now I'm not a big fan of cactus and wanted to remove them but my wife wanted to keep them. Finally she agreed to let me trim them which I did one day with the backhoe while she was gone. She was only mad at me for a little while. Might work for you rose bushes.

I've thought about it . . . but unfortunately for me, I would never hear the end of it when it comes to the rose bushes.

She was going to move them to a different location in the yard this summer . . . but they are still there.

I'm guessing that fall is not the best time of year to move and replant them, so I'll probably have to wait until spring to get them moved.

Oh well . . . they've only been there for 15 years . . . what's another winter? :confused:

caissiel
10-20-2013, 06:11 PM
My DW gets in the truck and I go back and guide her driving.

I point toward the direction she should steer the truck and that way I can place the trailer in a tight spot.

Took me 10 years to figure it out and works everytime. That way I can park and level in on operation.

In addition I know what to check and feel more secure. I usually can move around while making sure she can see me either in front or in the mirror.

Sent from my U8666-51 using Tapatalk 2

Lukeduke
03-16-2014, 03:20 PM
We have tried radios but the delay on the PTT loses information. Hand signals are lost in blind spots. Telephone on speaker (in cab) works best. I am still using pre backup planning and mirrors along with directions from the better half.

Luke & Carol Owens
2011 Caliber 315REDS

SGMilkman
03-16-2014, 10:26 PM
I only need someone to tell me if I'm going to hit something.....too stubborn and particular to listen to directions. It's a wonder she puts up with me.

dbylinski
03-17-2014, 05:36 AM
I only need someone to tell me if I'm going to hit something.....too stubborn and particular to listen to directions. It's a wonder she puts up with me.

I agree with you! John does the backing and I usually allow him to go where he wants. The only time I interfere is when I see he is getting into trouble and then he will hear from me. Other than that he's free to make his own moves!

It helps to keep the peace for us and the neighbors!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Keyra
07-30-2014, 05:03 PM
We use our phones. I call my husband on his phone and he speaks to me through the blue tooth connected device in the truck. I have an earpiece in ear and my phone in my pocket. So, we are both hands free.

I just say right, left or straight depending on how I want him to move the rear of the trailer. We have become better with experience and can almost always pull in on the first try. I wanted to switch the other day and try driving and let him talk so we could see what the other person's job is like. But, we gave up and switched back when I almost backed it into the house.

uncledon
08-06-2014, 01:42 PM
:rolleyes: Yup, that's sounds real familiar. Do the same thing.

SeattleLion
08-06-2014, 02:30 PM
We have a backup camera but don't use it for backing up. We use it as a rearview mirror on the road. Hand signals didn't work for us. It's hard to see each other in the mirror since our rig (trailer and truck) are over 50 ft long. So we use walkie talkies. We find the process is stress free and well worth the cost. At home we have to back up over 100 feet on our side lawn (hilly!) to get to the level spot for the trailer. Without the walkie talkies it was massive stress. Now it is simple.

As a native New Yorker, there is one hand signal I can't be without! <grin>

JanAndBill
08-06-2014, 05:18 PM
As a native New Yorker, there is one hand signal I can't be without! <grin>

When we argue, the DW says that's her "you're still number 1" sign to let me know she still loves me. ;)