Fire Hazards - Stay safe

JanAndBill

We pulled in to our campground yesterday afternoon. We kept hearing sirens, but didn't think much about it. This was on the news this morning http://www.wbir.com/news/article/260315/2/Massive-Pigeon-Forge-fire-damages-at-least-35-cabins The major fire was about 5 miles from us as the crow flies and we weren't in the path. However we found out later that there was another one less than a mile from us that involved about 40 acres. Makes you think about being aware of your surroundings.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
As of this afternoon (Monday), the fires are still burning with a lot of vacation cabins burned. Some renter folks who were doing stuff in Pigeon Forge lost everything.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Yea - as of 4 pm it's been raining for about 90 minutes but with the thunderstorms, the helicopters can't fly. The rain is a blessing.

JanAndBill

It appears that the rain has extinquished the fire. Latest count is 59 homes/cabins burned and 6 damaged according to the local news. A lot of people lost their belongings both owners and vactioners, but luckily the only injuries were a few fire fighters with heat exhaustion. Had it been during peak season, with a high occupancy rate it might not have been the same. Here's a link to the photo gallery of a local station. Has some good pictures of the scene http://www.wbir.com/news/photo-gallery.aspx?storyid=260361

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Something I recently started doing was finding out our location. What county and specific spot on the map we are. This helps us in many ways but most important for any severe weather warnings. Also good to know is the location of the closest ER for when calling 911 isn't really necessary.
Smartphones are a great tool for this.

JanAndBill

Something I recently started doing was finding out our location. What county and specific spot on the map we are. This helps us in many ways but most important for any severe weather warnings. Also good to know is the location of the closest ER for when calling 911 isn't really necessary.
Smartphones are a great tool for this.

Our GPS has Hospitals, Police stations, Post Offce, etc., I agree with knowing where you are staying. In 2010 we were staying in Marietta, GA when a storm with tornadoes moved through. We didn't really know where to go for safety as only "buildings" in the RV park were not much safer than the motorhome we were in, so we rode it out in the hallway. Lots of hail and tornadoes within a mile of us but we survived. Now I make it a point of checking out my exscape plan when I pull into a park.