What Food??

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Changing over to an adult food for our 41lb. English Setter. We tried Purina Dog Chow and she was not thrilled with it. She is a fit, healthy, active dog, that plays and sleeps hard. We are now looking into a food with less corn and wheat as the main ingrediant. Found a brand at the local supplier called 4HEALTH. It has chicken, lamb or salmon as the main ingrediant. Also grains, rice, oatmeal etc. Sounds somewhat better and makes me feel like she is getting better nutrition. Any suggestions......

Thanks

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We changed the food we were feeding Trevor. We wanted a better healthy food and our Vet agreed that this was better than what we were using.

Natures's Variety - Chicken Meal & Brown Rice Medly.

Dog Food.jpg

Here is the web page to locate a store you can pickup some at. Normally PetCo will have it. PetSmart does not carry it...

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We use Wellness (vet recommended). Now keep in mind that BamBam is a toy poodle but his coat is healthy and his skin doesn't dry out. He also doesn't have any gas and his poop doesn't stink.

Buckeye

We have a Large Munsterlander who weighs around 70lbs and is very active. We switched over to Inova Large breed adult dog food and she is doing real well with it. Kind of expensive though but our Vet also recommended it. Our 14 year old Beagle is on Inova senior diet as well.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I know this isn't exactly applicable, but we feed Wellness to our kitties. About 2004, our cats were eating Science Diet, which I thought was good food. Then, one of my cats developed diabetes, and the vet recommended a diet change. A high carb diet is not good for us or our pets. I researched the heck out of food, and Wellness was the best quality, using human grade ingredients --- no "beaks and bones" -- low carb, high protein. At the time, I had to buy from a boutique pet store, or online.

Now, Petco and Petsmart carry Wellness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXTiger

I just rescued a dog for the Humane Society. They were using Science Diet. I asked the Vet and she said to stay with Science Diet as it is a good food. Haven't tried any others, have only had my dog a little over 3 weeks, and she seems to like it.

Carmenh

Check your Innova,they announced a big recall yesterday :(
I feed my pack a dehydrated food called NRG, my 16 year old turned into a puppy when I switched. When they get kibble occasionally, I use Fromm or Natures Variety.
I manage a pet supply store, we sell mostly high end and holistic foods. My biggest recommendation is get your pets off any food with corn, Purina, Science Diet, Iams, many grocery brands. It's supposedly going to be a bad year for aflatoxin, a fungus in corn that is a terrible carcinogen.

truknutt

Committed Member
Jaime,

Ours like the Beneful brand, but only certain varieties. Good thing is they have quite a selection to choose from and small bags just in case they don't like it.

scottyb

We feed our dogs Blue Dog Food. High on vegetables and grains. They also get our people food mixed in with their dog food several times per week. When we grill fish, they get fish skins and fish mixed with their food. They get trimmings from our steaks, potato skins, green beans, blakeyed peas, cauliflouer, and any number of other things mixed in with their food, but never straight. Our country vet says too many commercial dog foods have too high protein and it is hard on their kidneys. They also get a cup of oatmeal mixed with their food every morning. We make a weeks worth at a time and refridgerate it in seperate containers. Probably seems weird to some people but they are our family and it's worth it just to watch them get excited when they know it is "grill nite". The trigger phrase is "Time to start the fire".

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Erika, we found out about the "dry" cat food. Its not good for cats. It will give them diabetes, kidney failure and will make them go blind. SO...we switched to canned cat food for the OL' puss (16 years old) and shes is not using the potty box as much.

iforget

New Jersey Chapter Leader-retired
Jaime
We are currently feeding Blue Buffalo Wilderness. It is a high quality dog food, a bit on the expensive side but I feed a lot less than we did before. It contains high quality protein, healthy complex carbohydrates and is antioxidant rich with fruits and vegetables.
The best part I love with this food is the stool! Hard and firmer than with any other foods I have tried.
Treats: Raw carrots, oranges, sweet potatoes.
Occasionally they also get a special treat of cheese.
www.bluebuffalo.com/lifesourcebits.
Try www.dogfoodadvisor.com for comparisons..
Good luck and remember to change food slowly.
ps most dogs do better with a grain free diet..

iforget

New Jersey Chapter Leader-retired
Tony Two Toes.

Thank you for rescuing! Science diet is a food that benefits Vets...
Not the best in my opinion.. however if a dog needs a special diet they do have a good variety which can be successful in holding a problem in bay..

wino2

iforget, thanks for the Dog Food Advisor site. Everyone should take a look at it. Very informative, and surprising on where some foods are listed.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Lou_and_Bette - we were buying Wellness from our vet but PetSmart now carries it. It's a couple of bucks cheaper at PetSmart. Haven't tried PetCo cuz one isn't near us but if one is carrying it, the odds are the other is also.

Pizzaguy

We like Purina One lamb and rice. Our vet feeds that to his dogs as well. He does sell Science Diet but says it is a big ripoff. I agree that the Science Diet specialty foods are good for special conditions, but like to keep with the same food our schnauzers like and use a supplement if needed for special needs. Our dogs are very spoiled and are our "babies" and have been very healthy on this food for 10 years.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Jamie, we recently started using 4Health Lamb & Rice. We have a Golden Retriever and have been through several brands. Iams, Nutro Max, Purina One and California Natural. She ate pretty much anything we fed her but only if she was really hungry. She rarely ate what she should be eating for her daily allowance.
I should mention she has allergies to many things and when we switched to 4Health, she started eating better and itching less. She's now eating her daily recommended amount too. Another plus, there's usually a Tractor Supply wherever we go. There were time with her other foods we had trouble finding them consistently. Our old girl will be 16 in June and we finally think we've found a food she likes.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Suzi is 16 !!!! Wow. She has been around for a long time. That would be 112yr if she were a human. Our Cowboy lived to 13 and we had to let her go... Good for you guys.. Hope to see you sometime.

BC