Generator for Heartland Trail Runner fqbs 30

ORP

I am looking at purchasing a generator to run the AC etc. I was looking at the following.http://www.samsclub.com/sams/black-...e-gas-generator/prod4040259.ip?navAction=push Has anyone used this one or know if it would work okay. We have been using a 20 amp generator over the winter because we didn't need AC, summer is right around the corner and we are going racing/camping at least once a month, probably more on practice weekends etc. It does have a 30AMP RV plug. I am aware it is not 240 but my trailrunnner only requires 30 AMP. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also if this one won't work could you post alternatives that won't break the bank? Thanks, Craig.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Craig, any good 30A genset will work. 30A may not run your A/C and microwave at the same time. Make sure what ever you buy has "sinewave" so you dont smoke all your electronics.

GOTTOYS

Those open frame Gennys are so loud they'll run you out of the campground. Most places won't allow you to use one. Do yourself and neighbors a favor and get something quiet...Don

ORP

Those open frame Gennys are so loud they'll run you out of the campground. Most places won't allow you to use one. Do yourself and neighbors a favor and get something quiet...Don
The only place I will be using the generator will be at the races. They are all off the grid make shift camp sites in open farm fields. There is no water or electricity. It is hair scrambles in the woods and lots of people use the open frame gens. We use plywood to deflect the sound away from our camper and others. Not sure what the db is of the 20amp we use currently but it has never been a problem before. When I hit the lakes in the summer we are always at camp sites with shore power and water. Thanks for the info.

Phatkd

I really wasn't wanting to spend over about 500. My trailer is considerably smaller than a bighorn, and cheaper LOL. One day I will own a bighorn, baby steps.

For $500 or there a bouts, you could probably find a pretty good quality used quiet 4 stroke on craigslist or Ebay. They sell pretty fast, and there are lots of units out there that barely have any hours on them.

If you have your mind set on an open frame unit, My buddy made up a pretty decent 1/2" plywood box that was lined with 1 inch styrofoam to put over his genny. the lid had a piano hinge so he could refuel it, and an exhaust hole.

pegmikef

My buddy made up a pretty decent 1/2" plywood box that was lined with 1 inch styrofoam to put over his genny. the lid had a piano hinge so he could refuel it, and an exhaust hole.

And there is no problem with heat build up? It was always a problem when we ran our Onans in sandbag bunkers . . . they would get hot and shut themselves down.

PUG

Pug
I found a champion 3500/4000 on sale a camping world last yr for 300 bucks. you can usually find them around 350 nowadays at camping world, sporting goods places, etc. I built mine into my 11 Cameo 36fws. I don't use it a lot so I settled on a less expenssive but reliable gen. Honda, Yamaha probably make the quietest, cleanest power gens but cost a bunch. I have a post either on this forum or the carriage forum on installing mine.

Phatkd

And there is no problem with heat build up? It was always a problem when we ran our Onans in sandbag bunkers . . . they would get hot and shut themselves down.

He has never mentioned anything about heat buildup,..but up here we don't get crazy hot weather like you do down in TX, so it might be a consideration to think about if you are going to use that home made insulated box in very hot weather. Good point!

oldmannj

Looks identical to the gen. I bought from camping world this winter. Which BTW does a great job of powering the trailrunner I have. Only thing I would caution is they are a bit loud. If your in a group the sound level might be bothersome for some. Then again...Race fans are used to loud engines and exhaust fumes. LOL ED :rolleyes:

ORP

Just scooped up the Champion 3500/4000 for about 360.00 out the door at Camping World. They had it for 319.00 but you had to be a member for 25.00 to get that price. I am going to try it out this weekend. I'll post my results. Thanks everyone. Craig

ORP

Looks identical to the gen. I bought from camping world this winter. Which BTW does a great job of powering the trailrunner I have. Only thing I would caution is they are a bit loud. If your in a group the sound level might be bothersome for some. Then again...Race fans are used to loud engines and exhaust fumes. LOL ED :rolleyes:
True, that's kinda what I was thinking LOL.

ORP

So far, bought it, took it to a buddys, put the correct amount of oil, installed the spark arrester, ran it for over an hour with a high powered light of some sort, worked great. I can't believe I am going to say this but it is much quieter than any other gen we have used. 68 DB, that's really not all that loud. We could talk, a little louder than normal and be heard. We took a few pieces of plywood and leaned them up around it, made a world of difference. Anyway the true test will be on Saturday when it warms up and we turn on the AC, it's a 15000 unit so it will pull a little more amps than the 13500. Anyway I am happy with the purchase so far.

mobilcastle

I found a champion 3500/4000 on sale a camping world last yr for 300 bucks. you can usually find them around 350 nowadays at camping world, sporting goods places, etc. I built mine into my 11 Cameo 36fws. I don't use it a lot so I settled on a less expensive but reliable gen. Honda, Yamaha probably make the quietest, cleanest power gens but cost a bunch. I have a post either on this forum or the carriage forum on installing mine.
I use the same thing that came from the tractor store at $299 and it works fine-it is few db's louder than a Honda at full throttle but it will not take your wallet to the cleaners. The noise police will want you to spend big $$$-they should give us all a break-no one has ever asked me to shut it down because of noise. BTW it will run your air unit-no problem. Mine is used very little as We like full hookups. I say each to his own. http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/champion-power-equipmenttrade;-3500w-4000w-portable-generator

ORP

I use the same thing that came from the tractor store at $299 and it works fine-it is few db's louder than a Honda at full throttle but it will not take your wallet to the cleaners. The noise police will want you to spend big $$$-they should give us all a break-no one has ever asked me to shut it down because of noise. BTW it will run your air unit-no problem. Mine is used very little as We like full hookups. I say each to his own. http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/champion-power-equipmenttrade;-3500w-4000w-portable-generator
It worked like a champ, no pun intended. Ran it all weekend, had it sitting on the back side of the trailer and it was hard to even tell if it was running while hanging out in front of the trailer. I would recommend this little gem for sure. Ran everything, never any power issue at all. We were running A/C, XBOX 360 for DVD, TV, lights, etc. We had a few people from different camps come over and watched an Enduro race, at the races LOL while winding down. What a great weekend camping/racing.