Omnidirectional Antenna

dfowler

We have a 2012 Sundance 3100 Fifth Wheel with an omnidirectional TV antenna on it. It is a fixed antenna (doesn't raise/lower), so there is no place inside the RV for a rotating knob. The reception is OK when in an area close to stations. However, when at a distance where I think I should be receiving signals, there are none, or they come in very weak. Of course, rotating the antenna won't do any good. Can these antennas be replaced with: one that raises/lowers and rotates; one that is stronger than the one I have; one that can be attached to the current post and controlled by a remote control? Has anyone had any experiences with this type of antenna? Also, any suggestions will be welcome! Thanks.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Dan, after you arrive at the Rally in Santo, TX this week remind to look at your antenna so we can suggest for a solution.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
It could be the coax cable connections. There is a coupler inside the ceiling that may be loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
A reversed connection at the antenna switch/amplifier could be the cause of the problem too. Make sure the antenna is connected to the antenna input and the other connections connected to their appropriate ports too. My NT had some connections reversed and caused all kinds of reception troubles.

swprman77

We have a 2012 Sundance 3100 Fifth Wheel with an omnidirectional TV antenna on it. It is a fixed antenna (doesn't raise/lower), so there is no place inside the RV for a rotating knob. The reception is OK when in an area close to stations. However, when at a distance where I think I should be receiving signals, there are none, or they come in very weak. Of course, rotating the antenna won't do any good. Can these antennas be replaced with: one that raises/lowers and rotates; one that is stronger than the one I have; one that can be attached to the current post and controlled by a remote control? Has anyone had any experiences with this type of antenna? Also, any suggestions will be welcome! Thanks.

Ya I recommend the hd-360 omnidirectional tv antenna. I had a roadstar for a while but experienced some weak signal issue....strangely with hdtv channels only...not regular dtv.

The one I got can be fond here.

http://nationalantennas.com/store/p...F-HDTV-Outdoor-Amplified-Antenna-Package.html

I also found hey seem to perform better when you use a level to keep the disc absolutely level.

danemayer

Hi swprman77,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and thanks for contributing to the discussion.

porthole

Retired
I just installed the Jack antenna. I used the tuner model instead of the batwing replacement.
At the house I will not be able to really tell any improvement, before or after I got/get about 50 digital channels, most in HD. We are less then 40 miles line of site to Manhattan and less then 60 to Philly, we get channels from both at home.

I went with the tuner version because with the advent of digital channels finding a station to even fine tune-rotate the antenna was a pain.

That said, I do have my concerns now about the longevity of the Jack. Looks like one good tree branch could take it out, causing a real pita repair.

The link above to the Omni antenna has some stout claims, and for the price, if I was looking to change out the factory antenna, I would give that a try, but not mount it till I see if it actually works. I have a marine grade Omni on our boat and as long as we are within 25 miles of the stations it works good. It is an older antenna though, well before HD and digital.

As to the OP concern, in the past I have found Omni antennas usually do a good job of overall performance, but a poor job of fringe reception. That is where directional antennas shine.

mobilcastle

I use one that is made for a house-it works well-I made a stand that sits on the ground. I can move it around where ever I want it. Remember you are limited to the OTA channels available. Check all your connections-my reception is excellent.

dalspot

We just replaced ours with the Jack Antenna two weeks ago. Went from getting 14 channels sitting in the driveway to pulling in 30. Easy replacement. Pull old one off, drill hole in bedroom ceiling for the antenna shaft to come thru, swap the signal booster (you do have yours turned on??), reseal the roof, assemble the module at the ceiling. It gets power via the coax cable.

Karen

porthole

Retired
1st campground test was a success for the Jack. Rotated the antenna using the built in signal finder, ran the scan and Deb got to watch Americas Got Talent in HD last night.

ffrymire

Was Terry able to help you at the rally? I have a similar problem. The strong signals come in great. The weaker signals others get do not register. Replacing the antenna to a directional unit was suggested in one of the replies. Frank

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Was Terry able to help you at the rally? I have a similar problem. The strong signals come in great. The weaker signals others get do not register. Replacing the antenna to a directional unit was suggested in one of the replies. Frank

Frank, I looked at his antenna which was a omnidirectional the best resolution was to replace with a directional antenna. I do not know if Dan replaced it with a directional antenna.

dfowler

I finally got the Dish Tailgator Satellite and have been pleased with the results. I only pay for the months I use it. So far it has worked great, even in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan!
By the way, All the salesmen I talked to told me the Satellite connection on the outside of my RV would not work, that the coax cable would have to be connected directly to the receiver box. One even told me "There's not an RV made that can receive satellite through the outside connection." This guy didn't know what he was talking about! Mine works fine.

evolvingpowercat

My personal experience was that I upgraded from the OEM Omni to the Jack directional antenna and did not see much improvement at the campgrounds where the Omni antenna just did not do the job, but my neighbors with Winegard crank ups were getting them. If you decide to take the time to upgrade, I would go for the best, the Winegard Sensar IV and the Winegard Sensar Pro TV signal strength meter to quickly aim your directional antenna. I just replaced the Jack with this as I was tired of my neighbors in the CG getting locals I could never get on my Jack or Omni with their Winegard Sensar antennas. Needed those locals for the football games ! :)