Cost to Replace Goodyear 16 Inch (G rated) Tires.

J

Jeff

Hello everyone:

Well, just got back from Discount Tires, taking care of the wifes car.

While I was there, asked about the Goodyear G Rated tires most of us have on our 5ers.

The G Rating is a Heavy Duty 14 Ply (yes 14 Ply) tire. Designed specifically for Travel Trailers and Dual and Triple axel applications.

Anyway, to replace these babies, will cost, (are you sitting down)

:eek: $305.00 per tire.:eek:

Now this is Discount Tires price and for the most part, they are the best in the business for good pricing. If you look at Camping World, they don't even list tire prices. I can only imagine what they would charge for this tire.

Discount Tire couldn't give me an estimate on mileage, since they see so few of these tires. But, they have them and at a darn good price too.

Just thought everyone would like to know.

You all take care.

Jeff

J

Jeff

New Imformation!

I'm finding out through various sources on RV.Net, that these tires can be purchased for far less than the price I listed at Discount Tire.

In some cases under $200.00 per tire.

Sounds much more reasonable!

You all take Care.

Jeff

Jeff,
Was just reading the information about tires and would like to share what we have found out... We have an 04 GoldenGate and have experienced the cutting of the inside tread on drivers side...and am replacing my first two tires, at Discount Tire Store...price was 253.00 each still trying to resolve what might be causing the problem...Have put approximately 8,000 miles on the tires, it looks like too much weight (my axels weighed out at 12,800 lbs and total trailer weight of 17,000 lbs.) I am running 110psi in tires as rated...
Would like to know if anyone else has experienced this same tire problem. I am also pulling trailer with '04 3500 Dodge Ram dully..
We are very happy with our Landmark and visited the plant last summer and found out that we have the #2 that came off the line...
Thanks for all the work on this website. We will visit it often.
Ken and Adele Skiles

J

Jeff

Tires!

Hi Ken & Adele:

Have you run this problem by the factory? Could be a bad Setup on your axle?

I'd definitely run this one by Scott in "Ask The Landmark Factory"

If there is a problem with your tires being worn out, that should be covered under warranty and fixed by an authorized dealer!

Send a message to Scott and see what he says.

You shouldn't be replacing tires after only 8000 miles.

Interesting that you have Heartland #002.

I wonder where #001 is at?

Take Care and let us know what you find out.

Jeff

Scott

FYI Tire Pressures

This is just an FYI. I have talked to a number of experienced RV owners as well as Towable RV engineers and the reps from the Tire companies. What I hear is two different stories when it comes to suggested tire pressure. The tire companies would like you to fill your tires up to the 110 lb. of pressure listed on the tire. Most RVers and the engineers I talked to said that 85 lb. is going to give you a much better ride on your fifth wheel. The reasons? While the 110 lb. will fill the tire up and cause it to run more efficiently, and possibly save on the tread, the tendency for tires filled up that much is to cause the unit to ride much rougher - in fact even sometimes having a "bouncing effect" on the trailer.
Those who consistently run at 85 lbs per tire report much smoother rides for their rigs.

That is only an FYI - and I think you should compare stories and then decide for yourselves which tire pressure advice you will adhere to.

ST

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Well I don't want to argue with a factory guy, but the tire manufacturers put the pressures on the sidewall for a good reason. All of the info I have read about pressures say that if the tire is not filled to the appropiate pressure for the wieght that is on them, than the tire will not wear properly, fail in a catastrophic manor, or wear out prematurely. You can check the web site of most tire companies and they will give you the proper inflation for the wieght. This means having the trailer wieghed and doing it on each tire is prefered. Besides it is usually the manufacturer who warranties the tires, so I would go by their recommendations.

Glenn

BluegrassMan

Tire Pressures ?

Hi All:
As far as I can gather from different sources. You should always run the pressure that the TIRE company puts on the tire. If you don't the friction will cause the tire to run HOT then later fail or wear oddly. That is why Truckers check their tires with the wooden club.( The correct bounce and thud tells them if they have a LOW tire)!

Part of the weight is carried on the side wall, some of the weight is being held up with the amount of air.

My last 5ver used 245/16 E tires, but it took 6 of them Cost x 6 is almost as much or as much as G-rated x 4. RVing is expensive either way you look at it.:rolleyes:

BluegrassMan

Tires?

Hi Me Again:

I was re-reading Ken and Adele's post, then I thought "17,000" gross ? :eek: The axles are 7000 pound each. 7+7= 14. Might we be a little overloaded?

I don't think WE own enough stuff to make 17K. Just a thought!

Paul & Nan

Goodyear G614 RST tires/110 PSI

Hey folks, this may be a little late but Trailer Life/Highways magazine just had an article about trailer tires. One person wrote in about balancing trailer tires. We changed to the goodyear tires at a tire dealer and they actually balanced the tires without being told. Good sam says it should be done to help keep the tires on the road and to help prevent bounding due to being out of balance. This helps to have a better, smoother riding unit and also keeps the tires in better condition. Under inflation can cause damage to a tire rated at 110 PSI and only run at 85 PSI. Have your trailer tires balanced, its worth the time and very little expense. Paul

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Hey folks, this may be a little late but Trailer Life/Highways magazine just had an article about trailer tires. One person wrote in about balancing trailer tires. We changed to the goodyear tires at a tire dealer and they actually balanced the tires without being told. Good sam says it should be done to help keep the tires on the road and to help prevent bounding due to being out of balance. This helps to have a better, smoother riding unit and also keeps the tires in better condition. Under inflation can cause damage to a tire rated at 110 PSI and only run at 85 PSI. Have your trailer tires balanced, its worth the time and very little expense. Paul
Paul, I totally agree with you. We had G614's put on this spring. Instead of weights, our dealer put in a substance that supposedly keeps the tires balanced. I can't remember what he called it but they use it for commercial applications. We've all felt the effect of driving a vehicle with tires that are out of balance, I can only imagine how it would affect a trailer. I keep the G614's at 100psi. According to Goodyear's tire inflation tables we're fine at that.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
You'd be surprised how fast you can get to 17,000lbs. We too weigh that much. However, we've been weighed, each individual wheel, and have determined we have 12,925 on the axles, which puts us more than 1,000 UNDER the axle limit. Believe it or not, the pin weight is just at 4,000lbs. These pin weights are usually much heavier than you think...one reason we have the Kodiak C4500...this pin weight still leaves us a 4,000lb cushion on the drive axle of the truck.

Having your rig weighed and using Pressure Pro to monitor your tire pressures constantly, are the two most important things you can do to protect yourself from premature tire failure...JMHO.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I never realized how much the tire pressure changed until I got our TPMS. I have the Goodyear 614 and if I have them at the 110 pounds cold when I start out in the morning they will go up to about 125-128 pounds while going down the road in the summer. Also there is about a 5-8 pounds difference between the side the sun is shining on versus the shady side. Amazing......

Last edited:

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
I never realized how much the tire pressure changed until I got our TPMS. I have the Goodyear 614 and if I have them at the 110 pounds cold when I start out in the morning they will go up to about 125-128 pounds while going down the road in the summer. Also there is about a 5-8 pounds difference between the side the sun is shining on versus the shady side. Amazing......

I have noticed the same regarding the sun-side vs the non-sun-side temperatures when we have stopped and I used the infared thermometer. And, I have seen the same results with the tire pressure gauge.

khalsey

I got my 5 new G614 tires made 23 week of 2009 in Topeka, KS and 5 new aluminum wheels which I am very happy to get. The only down side is that my Rotochoks do not fit again. I refited them when we traded for the Landmark now looks like I'll have to do it again.

sgtbigb

G614rst

I was able to purchase 4 G614 RST tires from Sam's Club for $215.73 each and an added $15.00 each for road hazard protection:D Total cost includinf installation and taxes:eek: $1001.03. That is a good deal!None