new roof question

I am a new Heartland Owner. I have a Heartland Trail Runner. I want to start out right and thought I would clean and protect the roof. After reading the owners manual, I am not sure I should be putting anything on the roof except cleaning it with soap and water. I purchased "Protect All" rubber roof treatment, but have not applied it. I did clean the roof yesterday, and noticed that the roofing material is different that what I have seen on RVs. It looks and feels more like a vinyl covering than a rubber coating. Any one know what I should do? If cleaning is all that is needed then great, but I am willing to go further to protect it if necessary.

jimtoo

Hi dougkelsey,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm not sure, but think all that is needed now is cleaning with dish soap and water,, I think Dawn is recommended. I'm sure some of out other family members will jump in soon with more info.

Enjoy the forum and your Trail Runner. Also join us at some of the rallies in your area that are coming up. Check the portal page, lower right side for listings.

Jim M

I just searched on the word "roof". Got lots of information. After reading many posts, it looks like I have a TPO roof and not a EPDM roof. Does that sound correct? If it is TPO, then it looks like I should just clean it several time a year with water and Dawn. Sound simple if I do have the TPO type.

jimtoo

Just to make sure of your roof material I suggest you call the Heartland Customer Service, 877-262-8032, have your VIN number and ask to make sure.

Jim M

I will check with them to be sure. Thanks for the info. I can't stop reading posts on this site. I'm fairly new to this and each post is very interesting and helpful.

Thanks again.

GOTTOYS

My last one had a rubber roof and was 10 years old when I sold it. The roof got washed a couple times, as far as I can remember and never had anything else done to it. It was a Park Trailer that sat on the same site outside, all year around. The roof was still in very good condition when it was sold. In my opinion too much scrubbing and smearing "treatment' on the roof only serves to scrub off the wear layer. I'd just leave it alone, scrub it gently if you feel you need to and be sure to check all the caulking on it at least annually...JMHO..Don